Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People keep citing "short sellers" as a source of inclusion window shares to indexers. How exactly does that work?
When a daddy short loves a mommy index very much, they make baby shares. ;)

When short borrows a share and sells it, this increase the supply of shares held long by as many the short seller sells. Specifically, shorts could sell these shares directly to index funds in dark pool markets. This would limit the rise in share price due to increased demand from index funds because the transactions would not happen in the public exchanges.

13:06 ET - Tesla CEO Elon Musk signals that building the new Berlin car plant comes with challenges that could affect when cars start rolling off the line. The factory now under construction will use new battery cells and new structural parts for the cars. Musk tweets: "Warning: with so much new technology, production timing is naturally harder to predict." Tesla previously said production at the facility is expected to start next year. Tesla falls 1.2% to $632. ([email protected])
Idiots! Obviously, TSLA fell because of yesterday's "hehe" meme by Elon.

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS
*BIDEN TO NAME BUTTIGIEG AS TRANSPORTATION SECRETARY: REUTERS

2020 Democratic candidates: where each stands on electric cars - Electrek

c16324542984af6878da7c6701c41951.jpg

I am absolutely livid.

Wired funds to TDAmeritrade during/just after today's first freefall.

Then I watched the second freefall unfold. Placed a limit order, 100 shares @ $625 even -- very close to the amount I had wired.

Order executes. "Wow."

You SOLD 100 shares @ 625

What evidence re: selling under market rate?

As Austin Powers would say - Ouch, baby - very ouch!

Then wouldn’t you just buy. Right now knowing you had to buy Friday wouldn’t it make sense to buy some OTM options just in case it ran over 700.

upload_2020-12-15_12-48-59.png

Also, the numbers are all relative. For example - SPY is at AUM of 325B right now. Probably need to buy about 5-6B of TSLA. All said and done, it is just 1.5% of their fund - IMO they aren't sweating this at all right now. There are a lot of days when SPY moves more than 1.5% itself - to them it is just a component, they will be done with it and move on. They passive funds aren't in the business of trying to beat the S&P500.

For analogies(maybe stupid) if you had 325$ in various denominations and you know you have to gather some of your pennies/liquidate the 10s - and then pick up 5$ bills to keep your balance the way you want it - you only go to the bank to execute the transaction when needed. And in this case, they have given the bank (trading desk) more than enough notice to let them know that hey we will need the 5$ bills on this day.

*BIDEN TO NAME BUTTIGIEG AS TRANSPORTATION SECRETARY: REUTERS

2020 Democratic candidates: where each stands on electric cars - Electrek

c16324542984af6878da7c6701c41951.jpg

I get a kick out of the way the media (Electrek in this case) likes to frame these stories as if it's the government that dictates the speed of transition to EV's. They tend to make it sound like it's the government that's mandating the switch when, in my opinion, it's happening and will continue to happen based on economics. These incentives will barely dent the speed of transition. Every little bit helps but it's not the determining factor.

View attachment 617967

Also, the numbers are all relative. For example - SPY is at AUM of 325B right now. Probably need to buy about 5-6B of TSLA. All said and done, it is just 1.5% of their fund - IMO they aren't sweating this at all right now. There are a lot of days when SPY moves more than 1.5% itself - to them it is just a component, they will be done with it and move on. They passive funds aren't in the business of trying to beat the S&P500.

For analogies(maybe stupid) if you had 325$ in various denominations and you know you have to gather some of your pennies/liquidate the 10s - and then pick up 5$ bills to keep your balance the way you want it - you only go to the bank to execute the transaction when needed. And in this case, they have given the bank (trading desk) more than enough notice to let them know that hey we will need the 5$ bills on this day.

Sure, but if al these funds try to buy 120m shares, in open Market towards the close on Friday what will be the effect on the share price?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Still flabbergasted that I could manage to accidentally press SELL in all red in lieu of BUY. It's practically muscle memory.
With TDAmeritrade if you don't make a specific selection or click in an area outside of the trade selection it defaults to "Buy". I've almost made the same mistake because of that, now I carefully make sure I click on "Sell" if that's what I want.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.

I can't imagine Tesla is will build anywhere in England. What would be the point? It's not an enormous market. It does not have easy access to raw materials. It may or may not have access to the European market without trade barriers. Labor is not especially inexpensive. Logistics for supply chain and deliveries cannot be better than somewhere in central Europe. It might give easier export access to USA, but we'll have plenty of terafactories here to service the domestic market. I don't understand the play.

I can't imagine Tesla is will build anywhere in England. What would be the point? It's not an enormous market. It does not have easy access to raw materials. It may or may not have access to the European market without trade barriers. Labor is not especially inexpensive. Logistics for supply chain and deliveries cannot be better than somewhere in central Europe. It might give easier export access to USA, but we'll have plenty of terafactories here to service the domestic market. I don't understand the play.

The only reason I could think of would be is if they made it the global hub for all right-hand drive vehicles. (So other factories didn't have to switch between LHD/RHD.) They are the biggest consumers of RHD vehicles aren't they?