Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But why bother? If you are a straight index fund(only tracking the SP500 as closely as possible) it makes no sense to try to be smarter than the market. Just buy at whatever the price is at the inclusion and your good.

This. And you don't even care about the price. You make your money from fees the people buying into the fund pay you.

Why do you think it has to be speculators and front-runners selling? TSLA is up 600% this year. There are almost certainly many institutional holders who want to sell but have been waiting for the S&P inclusion to do so. They could have deals in place to sell massive quantities of shares to S&P funds in dark pools on Dec 18. Short sellers could have similar deals in place to provide shares - I doubt they've just given up on TSLA..

Yes, I woke up thinking about the scale of private placements, including between funds in the same family, e.g., Vanguard?

To add to this:
"to build 500k charging stations"
This is another plan without thinking, looks like that just throwing random numbers (maybe for headlines?)
Total gas station in US is around 120k
Why would EV ever need more than 50k charging stations? 98% charging is done at home.
I suspect the politicians (in their finite wisdom) are talking about 500k charging outlets (analogous to 500k gas pumps). Averaging out, that would come to 50k "facilities" with 10 charging positions each. Not unreasonable

Is there no way that these funds have an agreement with someone to sell them the required amount of shares at whatever closing price will be on Friday?

Nothing would surprise me but I'm coming to believe the S&P index fund managers just don't give a rip. They're going to do their job on Friday and buy the shares they need to buy.

Correct. Market orders not executed AH and (in my case can only enter an AH order 15 minutes after main close).

Likewise, note that options cannot be traded outside main market, at least I don't have this possibility.

And my final constraint is that I cannot exercise options early (for example I would love to exercise my June 2022 $250's now and then sell calls against them, but I cannot :()

I don't know if these are general rules, or broker-specific in some cases.
Why can you not exercise your June 22s now? No tax consequences at exercise, just resets the clock on long term gains on the stock.

Looks like today will bring more of the same. All futures are green, major markets in Europe are green, and Tesla is red.

A part of me slowly starts to acknowledge that the impact on the stock price this week might not be what many of us were hoping for.

Everyone, quick, start thinking and agreeing that this is what will happen. And TSLA will not rise any higher this week!

Because as everyone knows, $TSLA will do the exact opposite of what majority think it will do.

I ment: Index funds goal isnt do drive the price up, but to get their needed share the cheapest.

Not at all.

Their goal is to get their shares at exactly the market price as close to inclusion date as possible.

Their entire purpose is to match the performance of the index, not beat it.

So the earlier ahead of inclusion they buy (and the earlier they sell other stuff to buy it) the larger their risk of index error.

That's why historically inclusion buying is almost always done at close the day before inclusion.

Some speculated they'd start earlier due to the amounts but we've yet to see evidence of it.

I
If they buy calls, this get them shares at a fixed price, i.e. $700.

Which again would be bad for index error. Plus at least some explicitly can not trade derivatives like options per their own prospectus (SPY for example)- in part exactly because it leads to index error.

Not at all.

Their goal is to get their shares at exactly the market price as close to inclusion date as possible.

Their entire purpose is to match the performance of the index, not beat it.

So the earlier ahead of inclusion they buy (and the earlier they sell other stuff to buy it) the larger their risk of index error.

That's why historically inclusion buying is almost always done at close the day before inclusion.

Some speculated they'd start earlier due to the amounts but we've yet to see evidence of it.

Which again would be bad for index error. Plus at least some explicitly can not trade derivatives like options per their own prospectus (SPY for example)- in part exactly because it leads to index error.

Ah.. yes.

So all the action we see, is just MM milking the option buyers.. I guess you are correct.

How to best profit from this.. I should have sold options instead of buying I guess. :-D

Edit:

Then, we can assume there wont be a SP dip after friday, not until wednesday next week. Any dip should be bought by the index funds, as they can buy and push SP up to fridays close, and get them shares at the correct price.

Reactions: capster
Then I guess MM job next days is to kill IV, close out as many calls as possible - bunker up and just weather the storm.

On the flip side some big fish could come in a buy a lot of calls on Thursday evening and mess with the MM’s plans.

If there are no big buyers today I expect our daily MMD so they can sell more puts and help offset any upside volatility for Friday.

I don’t know what the end game is but it cannot be this straightforward.

Reactions: lafrisbee
IMO some people are having a hard time grasping this. Like you said these fund managers don't care one bit what the price is, as long as their fund tracks the S&P500 then they are doing their job. They have no incentive to get creative and try to game the system through sneaky buying, transferring funds, or options schemes. As investors we are focused on beating the market and making the highest gains as possible, but fund managers are not investors.

Any reason why index funds wouldn’t use a dark pool trade the get their shares without spiking the market price? Between dark pools, prearranged trades, exercising calls, and short selling theres lots of ways the stock might stay flat this week.

Dark pool trades have to be reported just like any other trades. The market will know about them at least. Iirc from when I did some research into this, they have to be reported to the tape within 8 seconds or something like that. Could be wrong about that number, but I'm pretty sure I remember dark pool trades having to be reported fairly quickly.

Any reason why index funds wouldn’t use a dark pool trade the get their shares without spiking the market price? Between dark pools, prearranged trades, exercising calls, and short selling theres lots of ways the stock might stay flat this week.

I guess there are a lot of ways to buy 120 million shares of a stock and keep it flat.

Actually, I can think of only one way: the assorted parties you mentioned plus longs selling agree to part with 120 million shares at said flat price.