Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In for one 12/24 $700c @ $18.92 bringing my avg cost to $21.47 Will try to avg that a bit lower as the week progresses and opportunities appear.

I'm thinking we might see a pop AH or pre-market as more speculators rush in ahead of the +/-3 day window.
In for another 12/24 $700c @ $11.98. Avg cost now $18.31. Will look for 1 or 2 more contracts thru Fri if it drifts into single digits.

How could funds majorily buy this much at Fri close? Doesn't seem like there'd be nearly enough liquidity for market order. Accumulate until close or do they get shares OTC?

Asked and answered several times now.

They get em from all the people (and companies) who front-ran the share price up over $150 since announcement. I've seen claims as high as 200 million shares front-run, which is significantly more than the index funds need.

The float they need is about half the highest single-day volume of tesla trading, and that was on a day nobody had pre-planned for volume (though as rightly noted surely some of the same shares traded more than once that day)

Reactions: zeed and Bet TSLA
Watch these index funds magically have the shares they need while tsla is reporting record low volume days with share price dropping throughout the entire 6 trading days. That will be one of the biggest FUs to option gamblers ever. Guess selling calls and puts are the way to go as you are the house, not the gambler.

Both long and short options positions are bets on certain outcomes. I don't think you can label one as "the house" and the other as "the gambler".

Reactions: Criscmt and UncaNed
I can speculate with the best of you guys...
I am beginning to feel the whole asking whether the S&P 500 inclusion should be done in two tranches was not done for that reason. But instead was to cover the real reason. And that was to announce the addition so early so the Powers that be could orchestrate their shenanigans without being questioned as to the unfair manner in which they acquired the shares they will need.
They needed to get the inclusion announcement out early just so they could work their magic in the extended timeframe. They never entertained the 2 tranche addition. It was well played!

One of the newsy click bait ads was about 2020 Mach E in showrooms trying to generate TSLA buzz.

So this am, I check local showroom inventory, they do not have any! Vaporware! But they do have a 79K Shelby 500 or whatever. I checked performance 0-60... under ideal conditions it is slower than my Performance 3. Blue oval cars are dead and the main profit center is dead per TX factory.

That can't be! I just read an article in Car and Driver and it said the Mach-e was Fords best EV ever and puts Ford in the EV game in a big way! Car and Driver really knows their cars so Tesla had better keep their eyes on them:

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Is Ford's Best EV Ever (caranddriver.com)

It's probably selling so well they can't keep 'em on the lots!

/s

Don't everyone go following Emmet, even Curt once sold at $700 pre-split. I believe he got back in and is holding. I keep hanging on since 2012. Until the day I actually need the money to put food on the table, no need to sell.
People shouldn't forget that he was up something like 30 or 40 million at the point when he sold half his position. It is also a very large position which means he wouldn't be able to sell quickly. Compare that to the 15 calls I own at similar strikes/dates to his, I can dump those in a matter of a minute when/if the opportunity presents itself.

Both long and short options positions are bets on certain outcomes. I don't think you can label one as "the house" and the other as "the gambler".

I suppose the difference is if held to worthless expiration, the buyer of options always loses money and the seller always makes it.

If held to exercised (due to being ITM) expiration the buyer of options MIGHT make money (depending how big a premium he paid- he might still lose if it didn't go up as much as his premium paid), but the seller STILL made money (just potentially less than the max possible depending on the size of the premium) regardless.

So thinking of the seller as the house seems right to me. They don't always win, but they all else being equal have the odds in their favor.

• Disagree
Reactions: abasile and FrankSG
2AAD3878-3E79-47CF-84C4-DF809FD08987.jpeg

-posted by Gary Black’s unofficial fan club president.

That can't be! I just read an article in Car and Driver and it said the Mach-e was Fords best EV ever

Seems factual to me.

In the same way Moe is the smartest of the stooges perhaps, but true nonetheless.

and puts Ford in the EV game in a big way!

more seriously- I've read a number of reviews now.

It's a legitimately competent EV.

Especially from a legacy company.

That said- they can't make very many of them due to battery constraints (first full year of production will be about 1/10th the number of cars Tesla is making in 2020)

And the pricing is only even vaguely competitive because of the federal tax credit.

But it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Remember Teslas mission? It's working.

Even executing as stated Tesla won't be able to supply more than 20-25% of new cars in 10 years- somebody's gotta make the rest.

Preferably many will be EVs.

(though likely not as many as some folks think unless someone other than Tesla gets on this whole battery supply issue in a bigger way than they have so far).

It's probably selling so well they can't keep 'em on the lots!

/s

Supposedly first year production has been sold out for over 6 months now with pre-orders, so I wouldn't expect to find any on lots for a while.

I'd expect similar for any legacy maker that produces a non garbage EV.

EV demand is way higher than anybody, Tesla included, can meet by themselves.

They get em from all the people (and companies) who front-ran the share price up over $150 since announcement. I've seen claims as high as 200 million shares front-run, which is significantly more than the index funds need.

The float they need is about half the highest single-day volume of tesla trading, and that was on a day nobody had pre-planned for volume (though as rightly noted surely some of the same shares traded more than once that day)

Agreed that shares held by front runners will generally satisfy demand by funds. But what's to say front runners will sell (to those funds), majoritively, at Friday's market close?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal
Man, "tough crowd". I was here when the stock was $180 (pre-split) on daily basis.

Now, the times have changed. $3000+ (pre-split) a pop and there still is a bunch of moaning that brings nothing to the table.
For real. These new entrants are soft!

Today is a normal low volume day where MMs do their job and push SP down to maximize weekly options for themselves. Anyone is free to buy shares at any price you think is undervalued. We've snapped back from these low vol pushdowns a thousand times, but people still get jittery.

But isn't the daily volume, and thus the calculated days to cover, a somewhat suspect number? I keep seeing assertions (I have no information as to their truth) that most, up to shocking numbers like 80%, of the trading volume comes from high frequency bots skimming pennies. Such trades are meaningless in terms of providing liquidity on any large scale.

So is the real meaningful volume half of the reported number? One third? If so, that would be fairly relevant.

Man, "tough crowd". I was here when the stock was $180 (pre-split) on daily basis.

Now, the times have changed. $3000+ (pre-split) a pop and there still is a bunch of moaning that brings nothing to the table.

Indeed. The amount of conspiracy theories pondered here has been increasing greatly since S&P inclusion. And we still haven't got a clue as to how exactly the benchmarked funds will acquire shares.

I paid for my marriage license and honeymoon with poker winnings. My wife hates it when I tell that story...not very romantic apparently...

...back to TSLA...buy with cash on hand and hold forever is still undefeated.

Agree with that last part.

OT: how much is a marriage license? I thought marriage was a basic right. Over here the true cost of (legal) marriage ranges from $15 to $500 depending on the city (and per city, depending on how fancy the location is). Generally marriage only costs like $100. (Not including wedding ceremony, that is unnecessary and just personal choice)

• Funny
Reactions: capster
I suppose the difference is if held to worthless expiration, the buyer of options always loses money and the seller always makes it.

If held to exercised (due to being ITM) expiration the buyer of options MIGHT make money (depending how big a premium he paid- he might still lose if it didn't go up as much as his premium paid), but the seller STILL made money (just potentially less than the max possible depending on the size of the premium) regardless.

So thinking of the seller as the house seems right to me. They don't always win, but they all else being equal have the odds in their favor.

What about ITM and ATM options? If I sell you a $600 or $700 put expiring on Dec 31st, am I still the house, and are you still the gambler?

I still can't get behind the theory that there's backroom dealings happening where hedge funds are willing to just send over shares to index funds at already agreed upon prices.......and even if that was the case, the math simply doesn't add up in it still not resulting in a big rally.

There's no possible way hedge funds and banks accumulated enough shares to match the number of shares needed to be bought by index funds. 200 million shares front runned? Um where's any sort of evidence of that. Even after inclusion announcement was made, volume was still pretty average. It would have required many, many institutional investors and large whale long term investors to have sold to those hedge funds/banks over the past 3-4 weeks in the 450-600 range.......which I do not believe institutional/long term whales would be even remotely willing to do. So then where did they get these 200 million shares? Or even 100 million shares? That math just doesn't add up there

Been entertaining to watch people come up with all sorts of conspiracy theories when we all knew that the buying volume couldn't even BEGIN to start until today.

Last edited:
It doesn't help the rest of us learn if referencing "my broker" and not stating who that is. I read many posts here from you all and there are many conflicts of information such as broker requirements.
TD Ameritrade:
FYI- I have traded stocks after hours in traditional IRA and Roth IRA. I was given the option of a margin account with my Traditional IRA but not the Roth IRA. In fact, covered calls were denied in my Roth but not in my traditional IRA's. I have no idea if these rules are regulations or TD Ameritrade policy. I really don't care so long as I understand what the rules are.

I recently set up a ROTH TD ameritrade IRA, and though I didn’t ask for it, was approved for margin use on the account in addition to selling/buying covered calls/puts.

I have not yet used them, and probably won’t for a few years until the account has room to grow into 5 digits, but I see margin options on it there that I don’t have on my main Ameritrade account.

edit: also for TSLA relevancy, i an unsurprised that the SP is being squished right now. It always seems to do the opposite of what it should be doing. :confused:

though glad I bought back my covered put yesterday rather than trying to squeeze in a few more days of gains! Good timing that. Usually that’s opposite for me, lol.