Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, since we're honest, after getting them back earlier this week, I sold 100 shares at 667 again this AM in prehours. Selling more up to $850, but keeping 2/3 for next year! No leverage, only shares. Market in general looks good today too.

This is fun!
That is perfectly acceptable. So long as you're spending a good amount of it on something ridiculous.

https://www.etf.com/sections/features-and-news/sp-500-etfs-brace-tesla-trade?nopaging=1

S&P 500 ETFs Brace For Tesla Trade
ETF.com Dec. 9 interview with Rich Lee, with whom Rob Mauer vlogged tonight. Many of the same questions and replies.

"But to your point, why wouldn't Tesla stock just run another, say, 25-50% given that everybody has to buy it? That's where having a robust and dynamic market comes into play, because there are market participants, whether it be proprietary traders, hedge funds or prop shops whose job is to look for these announced index changes and trade them ahead of time, and hopefully accumulate a position in advance of the index and be suppliers of liquidity.

The sell side is a liquidity partner in this endeavor. If we look at an index fund that cannot deviate, and it cannot trade early, if you don't have the sell side there prepositioning or accumulating position, you may have that scenario where the stock just runs uncontrollably to the upside. You want a robust ecosystem."
I think the person he interviewed had a loyalty to the company and refused to divulge the truth about what he felt was going to happen.

That is perfectly acceptable. So long as you're spending a good amount of it on something ridiculous.

Yes, and this is ridiculous - 2021 Model Y. Loving it!

upload_2020-12-18_7-48-7.png

MSNBC pumping this up, thanks ;)

Only true if all S&P names drop the same percentage. If TSLA drops more relative to other names, index funds will have to sell some TSLA at the next rebalance. Similarly, if TSLA drops less relative to other names, they will have to buy more TSLA.

Nope. They won't have to sell TSLA to reduce their percentage because the drop in the stock price has already reduced their percentage the exact amount needed.

Whelp... here we are. We've averaged 2.3% / trading day since announcement. Not quite the 3% per day I was hoping for, but I'll take it.

I would congratulate you but the return for holding TSLA through that same period (without compounding) averages 2.82% per day.

The other thing I know is the traders that have an unusually good run tend to post their results and the traders who blew it tend to slink off into the shadows without letting us know about their personal disasters.