Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
trying to time the market is an exercise in hubris, now probably more than ever. if you believe in Tesla's long-term mission and market position, hold. if you don't, then sell.

My more nuanced approach is to maintain my core holding but allocate a small % for some fun trading. Or as I will henceforth call it, "hubris trading" :)

Something about that story is wrong, unless the guy did a lot of options plays (which it doesn't sound like he did).

$10k invested in 2017 would not make him a millionaire now.

The article claims that he continued to buy ... "Each paycheck, Smith, a video producer, would pay his bills and then buy additional shares with the rest"

A limit sell order often closes above the limit price. The potential benefit of a Limit On Close order over a regular Limit order is that many/most expect there to be a closing imbalance to the Buy Side today. If so, a LOC order would close at a higher price than a regular Limit Sell order placed right before the market closed (assuming at least the Limit price was reached for both Limit orders).

So, there's no point in setting a LOC order as "GTC + EXT" because this will happen at close, not during extended hours, correct?

(In fact, TOC won't allow me to change the order to LOC unless I also remove 'extended hours.' The error message states that "Extended hours order must be LIMIT order.")

Americans Are Strongly Interested In Electric Cars -- Consumer Reports

Although only 30 percent of respondents who participated in the survey said they are well familiar with electric cars, the majority reported they have at least heard of them. 71 percent said they would consider buying an electric car at some point in the future.That’s up from about 3% a decade ago. Nearly a third said they are considering an EV for their next vehicle purchase.

These numbers will continue to increase fairly dramatically IMHO.

In Germany, the only way to trade US options is to keep the trading account in US$, as well as having the shares in US "custody". Thats why I switched to InteractiveBrokers from Comdirect.

Is this the same in Belgium, or why keep the account in $?

I'm not even thinking about currency loss right now, future FS_FRA problem :D

I suspect this is a more correct answer - in fact when I trade any € the first step is that it gets converted to $. If I sell any positions, the proceeds are in $ and remain in $ unless I order a currency conversion - that's what I meant by "keeping in $".

I also have my account set to display in $$ so I can track things better (not that tracking 1 instrument is that difficult but...)

Reactions: FS_FRA
In the event that all shares are not acquired at the closing or opening cross, the funds will be forced to buy in the market Monday morning, correct?

No, they can wait and buy later. Some are allowed to buy up to 7 days after the inclusion event. (Not that they really want to wait that long.) But they aren't forced to buy at any particular time.

Is this correct?
For the timeframe I put in GTC... does it matter actually?
And this order vaporizes after today correct?

Edit: Removed image (sensitive info...)

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-18_11-20-35.png
    upload_2020-12-18_11-20-35.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 46
  • upload_2020-12-18_11-21-31.png
    upload_2020-12-18_11-21-31.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Hi Bloomberg! If you want to borrow any of my memes you may, just as long as you credit me. ;)

I always get that notification, it doesn't seem to impact any of my trades though. I just tested this with another stock with a 10X limit compared to market price and the order submitted fine.
Thanks, 3 confirmations and 5 waivers later I managed to submit an order just fine!

Bloomberg is watching this forum closely
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Dear Bloomberg - please write an article about how ridiculous your New Energy Finance forecasts are due to the fact that you can't publish exponential forecasts without being ridiculed.

We know what is going to happen - and I suspect you do to. You just don't have the courage to publicly state the true speed this renewable energy transition will take.

Is this correct?
For the timeframe I put in GTC... does it matter actually?
And this order vaporizes after today correct?

That looks like a Limit On Close, Good To Close order. Meaning it will stay in your account until it can be filled. (But it would only fill at the close of a day if the close is $986 or higher. i.e. it wouldn't catch a mid-day spike past $986.)

Reactions: StealthP3D
I think that is closing the barn door after the horse is out. 5 years ago this thread was about deep analysis and long term investing. Seems to me this thread is now mostly about options and short term. I also see many more off-the-cuff thoughts and less deep analysis with spreadsheets.

It is still a valuable resource but I do think some has been lost with the changing of the crowd over time. That happens with all forum communities. Normal progression.

The discussion was deeper 5 years ago because there were legitimate questions then about whether TSLA was a good long term investment. Plus it makes sense that the smartest people were in TSLA the earliest.

My point is the index fund would not be interested in placing a limit order. If they did and it is not filled, they will be willingly compromising their tracking of the index.

I did misinterpret your comment. But I'll add that I think people (not you, but people in general) speak too much in absolutes when it comes to Index Funds not caring how much they pay as long as it's the inclusion price. Because Index funds almost always have tracking errors to the downside due to the fact that they have a certain amount of cash on hand (amongst other reasons). For that reason they can be open to a trade that helps them make that tracking error smaller. They really do LIKE getting a good trade which helps them close that gap. So, a better way to say that "they don't care what they pay as long as it's the inclusion price" is that they don't like to take risks that could increase their tracking error to the downside. They are very risk adverse but they do like getting a better price if it's possible to do so without increasing risk. I'm not saying this really moves the needle much in terms of when and how most of them will buy TSLA.