Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its more likely Elon is celebrating the S&P 500 addtion, which is a 'coming of age' milepost in the Tesla journey.

Seriously?

Being added to a stock market index doesn't seem like the kind of thing Elon would celebrate. He has respect for innovation and productivity but not so much the people who count the money. While you could argue the market is a proxy for those things, it just doesn't seem like Elon would celebrate it.

Just to remind that $630 is this week's first call-wall, looks like anywhere between $600 and $630 would be fine for THEM

upload_2020-12-22_16-51-32.png

I agree with this. For the most part I think we are range bound until a benchmark fund starts the FOMO war. And Q4 P&D might just be the event that triggers the additional buying. Honestly I don’t see people getting excited about FSD beta yet but the subscription model could really be a big deal. The subscription model and/or 2021 guidance is what will move the stock price.

The reason I included FSD beta release as a potential catalyst for a rally is not because I think the market getting excited about it at this time but more because I sense TSLA is a simmering pot waiting for just about any catalyst to trigger a boil-over. In other words, there's a large pool of investors with their fingers on the "buy" button, waiting for the right time to enter. Once that point is triggered, a lot will pile on and it will become self-reinforcing.

This presumes the overall bullishness of the market holds together. A pot can fall off a boil just as quickly as it can boil over.

It looks like the stampede has headed over to QS temporarily...
I think I'll maintain my "investor playing dead" strategy for now.
I sold some of my QS at $120; that share price corresponds to a market cap of $44B, which seems to me a bit frothy for a company not producing product until another 5 years.

Also, shout out to StealthP3D for the heads-up on QS a few weeks ago.

"Tesla V3 Supercharger now in European Cities?" | @avoigt (30 min ago)

Thanks, Alex!

TMC, members, this is worth setting up a Patreon account and sending a dollar or two of support Alex's way (NO ADS!!); more than enough of us will benefit from his spreading the good word to make this a worthwhile investment; there should be an easy, more frictionless way to support all our favorites - Rob Mauer, Alex, Steven at Solving the Money Problem , Dave Lee and our many, many other friends.

Edit- We often complain about FUD spewers; we must create and support our own army of Truth spreaders. Wish I knew exactly how, but can we afford not to?

Last edited:
The reason I included FSD beta release as a potential catalyst for a rally is not because I think the market getting excited about it at this time but more because I sense TSLA is a simmering pot waiting for just about any catalyst to trigger a boil-over. In other words, there's a large pool of investors with their fingers on the "buy" button, waiting for the right time to enter. Once that point is triggered, a lot will pile on and it will become self-reinforcing.

This presumes the overall bullishness of the market holds together. A pot can fall off a boil just as quickly as it can boil over.

With the S&X line stopping on the 24th and major software version upgrade promised for December (perhaps with a wider FSD), I can see good news coming soon - perhaps this week.

The financial team at Tesla is top-notch (well, probably all teams are), they surely have an short-term plan of releasing positive news to prop up a dropping SP and increase investor confidence.

I'm gonna be a dead investor for a couple days I think.

18434.jpg

Mod: I tried reading this post 6 times, but keep being distracted by the 'disturbing' image on the left. Need to check the forum rules for small print prohibiting such pictures :p
OtherMod:~~~I’ll suggest looking under the Truth in Advertising clause~~~
Ex-mod: Would people be objecting if @Lycanthrope happened to be an attractive female? Objecting is sexist. --ggr

I don't get it - what's not to like with a hot bum? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Underlying question: does a stock move as a dollar value or by a percentage change?
A $1 move post split is 5x the market cap value pre-split and also 5x the percentage change.
If stock price is a fixed multiple of profit, and profit goes up 5%, that is 5% of 1/5 the price * 5x the shares or 5% of 1 share. Same movement.

Psychologically, smaller $ moves are easier to handle though. $16 drop looks better than an $80 drop, even though the change to one's account is the same.

Let's look at it with an example.

100 shares pre-split had a value of $2213.40 each or $221,340 total value as a base to work with.

Since the split to today there has been an increase of $186 to the share price. (from 442 to 628)

Adding this to the original value gives us $2399.40, or a total value of $239,940 for those 100 shares increasing by $186 each, correct?

Post-split, the 500 shares price increasing in value by $186 each is a $93,000 change (500 x 186). Added to the 100 share pre-split base of $221,340 gives $314,430 total value.

That looks like $74,440 of extra beer and bacon money derived from the split, compounded by earnings from those new shares over time.

Wall St just doing it's job pushing the news cycle - I don't think anyone at Tesla is actually sweating about any EV maker, let alone Apple if they get there.

Musk and co. have easily thought about this - which is why there is this whole focus on integrating manufacturing processes at the grassroot level

Went back and replayed the Battery Day event specifically about this -
here's what Elon said: at around 1:00:25
"Basically Tesla is aiming to be the best at manufacturing of any company on earth. This is the thing that is actually most important in the long run...
For long term competitiveness, eventually every car company will have long range electric cars, eventually every company will have autonomy; but not every company will be great at manufacturing. Tesla will be absolutely head and shoulders above anyone else at manufacturing - that is our goal"

HODL your core shares, and ignore the shenanigans.
Great days for swing trades nonetheless.

Thanks, Alex!

TMC, members, this is worth setting up a Patreon account and sending a dollar or two of support Alex's way (NO ADS!!); more than enough of us will benefit from his spreading the good word to make this a worthwhile investment; there should be an easy, more frictionless way to support all our favorites - Rob Mauer, Alex, Steven at Solving the Money Problem , Dave Lee and our many, many other friends.

Thank you!