Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's "OG" stand for? I dislike this over-use of acronyms/abbreviations. And please don't tell me it's an abbreviation for "original". That would follow no convention that I'm familiar with.

Here's the thing with Gali: He doesn't have much technical knowledge but he has an amazing mind. That's how he was able to find Tesla and invest in it before most people who contribute here. Some people will be jealous of his fantastic gains because he has held TSLA with an iron fist - he doesn't sell, he buys more as he can afford it. I can't believe people are accusing him of being anti-Tesla or knowingly spreading FUD because there are not many people in this world who care more about the way Elon is changing the world for the better or who have more pure motivations. At worst he is being unknowingly used by people with bad motives but even that is not clear yet.
Gali stated several times he sold TSLA to buy his Tesla. Which surprised me as to finance it would have made financial sense.

Just found this via reddit, looks like Moss Landing MegaPack site is 70-80% done. Wonder if they might finish this before the end of the year which might give some extra revenue for Q4... Originally was supposed to come online in 2021.

Overall that project looks half done to me. Great news on the MegaPacks themselves being 7/11ths made.
  • Still in their wrapping. (Christmas presents?)
  • Almost none of the parts at the end of each row done. (Combiners? Switches? Transformers?)
  • Some of the other buildings with few pipes going to them look kind of empty. (Unknown if related to project, but maybe?)
  • Some of the trenches are just starting. (Unknown if related to project, but probably?)
The ground work isn't done, the rest of the plumbing isn't done, the wiring isn't done, and the deliveries of MegaPacks aren't done.

It is great they got so many MegaPacks delivered. It would be even greater if that was the final piece of the puzzle, with everything else already done so whenever a pack arrives they just plug it in. It looks like the MegaPacks are being delivered faster than the PG&E workers can integrate them.

The whole project coming online is the prize for product demonstration. (I do not know when they get to recognize the revenue.) I am very happy they are actually putting all the pieces together to do so. The fact they already are doing almost every kind of piece as we speak makes me very happy about that project. But, there's so much more to do. "70-80% done"? Do you know something I don't? As far as Tesla delivering packs, they are about 7/11ths done (63%), which is good for Tesla MegaPacks. Who is selling the equipment at the end of each row, and the connection from there to the main switch, and the main switches? Are those Tesla responsibility? I'm way past my knowledge base in this area, but to me it seems obvious there's a lot left to do.

As for the question of whether or not the MegaPacks will be made, I think that part has been abundantly answered, and that used to be a question years ago.

P.S., Moss Landing is near where I live. That area is renowned for naturally having extreme salt water in the air. I have a saying: if metal or material has corrosion resistance, then it will be no good. It has to be nearly corrosion proof. In addition to the extreme natural air borne salt content, some of the ponds near that lagoon next to Moss Landing used to sport some of the saltiest water in our region back when that big plant was a de-facto desalination plant, spewing the steam into the air, and leaving the salt into ponds near that lagoon. Wait, were they sending up desalinated water, or was it some sort of corrosive mist? Anyway, just watch out for corrosion. If they didn't make those MegaPacks some of the most anti-corrosive builds in battery history, basically navy-quality battery packs, then ...

(Yes, I am aware there are some factories with extreme corrosion beyond mere marine corrosion, but do they really put the batteries in those areas with that much extreme corrosion? I actually don't know, but suspect usually not.)

I am sure the engineers thought of that at some point.

That is undoubtedly why they kept the packs wrapped up before plugging them in. They are trying to squeeze every bit of MTBF out of them, as well as leave it to the installers to finally corrosion-proof everything before putting them into service. And here I was wanting to be in on seeing how to do that, but every time I ask they insult me and tell me to go away.

Thinking medium-term, maybe some other old power plants were put near salt water, or areas with industrial activity, or in places where corrosion may be a thing. Even some ground water is salty. Anyway, longer term, working out anti-corrosion will be a good thing for any products made to work in the manner of a MegaPack. If not, then at least they will know to locate newer battery projects out in the non-corrosive areas.

Last edited:
Some of these features would be difficult for Tesla to replicate as they are not nearly as embedded in peoples lives as Apple is.

Tesla is not embedded in a significant number of peoples lives at all. Unless you consider 1% significant.

The people I know that avoid Apple like the plague, avoid it because of the way Apple tries to embed themselves in their lives for the purpose of extracting as much of their money as possible. Tesla has a different business model and that is to provide as much value to customers lives for as little money as possible.

Can you imagine Apple providing regular updates that add new functionality to products that are 8 years old without charging a single cent? o_O Not unless we have entered an alternate reality!

With 2k deliveries yesterday the ID3 took the pole position.

December (through 23) in the Netherlands

ID3 4249

Model 3 3408

Total BEV 16566.

Total cars 24832 so 66.7% BEV this month!

Informative, thanks. I'll do what some bears do & cherry pick Norway. Vast majority LRAWD, some Performance, no SR+ from either USA or China..

upload_2020-12-24_14-39-22.png

Gali stated several times he sold TSLA to buy his Tesla. Which surprised me as to finance it would have made financial sense.

Maybe he didn’t have sufficient credit credibility to get financing. Both my spouse and I had to have parents co-sign leases/loans when we bought our first brand new vehicles back in the day even though we both had full time jobs. Financial institutions back then required a person to prove they were ‘good for it’ via historical data that you couldn’t acquire unless given a chance. In fact, we used to complain that you couldn’t get credit when you needed it, while credit would be thrown at you when you didn’t need it.

I also want to remind people that some humans simply don’t like ‘owing’ others. That we were raised to pay right away for stuff we wanted. Yes, the mountain was paid for in cash and now it’s mine. Not owned by a financial institution collecting a fee. Mine. No potential black disaster can make it less so. There’s something to be said for outright ownership of everything in my possession.

Urban dictionary is your friend. Urban Dictionary: OG

I live in a rural area and we only use the Redneck Dictionary. "Original Gangsters" refers to families with a history of smuggling liquor in fast, light boats from Canada into the San Juan Islands during the prohibition. And, around here, your handle "InDaClub" would mean you belong to a club full of stupid people. ;)

/s

This is what I don't get; with all the beer and imbibables you appear to consume, how do you ever maintain that girlishly slim figure of yours?o_O
(Maybe that will compel him to change his avatar? :eek: ;))

Beer's my only vice, otherwise I avoid sugar, grains and industrial seed-oils, mostly carnivore (other than the beer) = lots of saturated fat. I lift weights a bit, walk plenty, cycle, etc. I close all three rings on my Apple Watch most of the time (set at 1000 calorie active burn and 60 minutes exercise).

Have been overdoing it with the booze though since the first C19 lock-down, I'm around 5kgs heavier than I was, and it's mostly fat, unfortunately, I was in much better shape before.

Will likely take a break in January as I did last year...

Maybe he didn’t have sufficient credit credibility to get financing. Both my spouse and I had to have parents co-sign leases/loans when we bought our first brand new vehicles back in the day even though we both had full time jobs. Financial institutions back then required a person to prove they were ‘good for it’ via historical data that you couldn’t acquire unless given a chance. In fact, we used to complain that you couldn’t get credit when you needed it, while credit would be thrown at you when you didn’t need it.

I also want to remind people that some humans simply don’t like ‘owing’ others. That we were raised to pay right away for stuff we wanted. Yes, the mountain was paid for in cash and now it’s mine. Not owned by a financial institution collecting a fee. Mine. No potential black disaster can make it less so. There’s something to be said for outright ownership of everything in my possession.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA a thirty year old wanting to "not owe anything"!?!?!?!?!? hahahaha Gali really doesn't seem like an old tightwad like you....and me.
But still, the guy plays with numbers. Supposedly he has some education in finance. Even I would use my TSLA stock for a loan for a Tesla.

Where are you that there are no annual property taxes which can lead to repossession? No US states fit that category. Or is this mountain your island in international waters?
(In which case... pirates)
Stuff and nonsense, as well as Off Topic.
I own my own property. Not a bank, not the state of Alaska, not a borough, county or town. There is NO taxing authority to put a lien on it. And as I’m “Mayor” (President of the Community, specifically), that will not change.
So perhaps @Krugerrand has bought here? No, no cheechakos have shown up recently