Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Energy Outlook 2020 | BNEF

NEO 2020 Executive Key Messages
:
6. Coal demand peaked in 2018 and collapses to 18% of primary energy by mid-century, from 26% today. It is in freefall across Europe and the U.S. Coal-fired power peaks in China in 2027 and in India in 2030. But, despite improvements in energy efficiency and recycling, primary coal demand continues to grow in industry.

7. In the NEO Climate Scenario, our clean electricity and hydrogen pathway requires 100,000TWh of power generation by 2050. This power system is 6-8 times bigger than today’s, has double the peak demand, and generates five times the electricity. Two-thirds of this electricity goes to direct electricity provision in transport, industry and buildings. The rest is used to manufacture green hydrogen.

8. Green hydrogen provides just under a quarter of total final energy in 2050 under our Climate Scenario. This needs 800Mt of fuel and 36,000TWh of electricity – that’s 38% more power than is produced in the world today. This could be met with a further 14TW of renewables or 4TW of new nuclear. The renewable route might be cheaper but land is an issue.

9. Reducing emissions well below two degrees under our clean electricity and green hydrogen pathway requires between $78 trillion and $130 trillion of new investment between now and 2050. That’s around $64 trillion on power generation and the electricity grid for direct electricity provision, and between $14 trillion and $66 trillion on hydrogen manufacturing, transport and storage.

I'm still reading the full report, but 2050 is slow compared to what's gonna happen once Biden gets inaugurated...

View attachment 623140

To add to that; I can't watch this too many times: brings a smile every time. Good riddance to coal, RIP in the ground, where you belong.

"Ecoflight captured the demolition of the towering stacks, as part of Salt River Project's demolition of the largest coal burning plant in the west." Dec. 18, 2020

Last edited:
This isn't really a surprise - Model Ys have been sitting in rows in the Shanghai parking lot for weeks now. Would be kind of weird not to deliver them.

And on that note .. WOW, look at the Shanghai parking lot! Packed to the gills! Q1 might not be so 'seasonally weak' this year!
I have a gut feeling this is Tesla's strategy to boost Q1 2021 number. It can be that Q4 sale number already exceeds expectation, and Tesla holds back MY delivery in China for a few days to make Q1 2021 number better to offset the seasonal weak quarter.

I predict TSLA reaches $1200 before end of the year.
I predict you will be very very happy at the end of 2021. Much happier than you predict.
ADDENDUM:
the only reason I voted for anew thread was that it was difficult to navigate the other thread because the page count was so high they were impossible to clearly read at the bottom of each page.

Reactions: saniflash
In order for Tesla to reach 1200 by end of year, it would have to add a 2018 Tesla MC on a monthly basis in 2021.

Not saying it won’t happen.

FSD would more than do that I think.

Any hiccups will be severely punished by market, although one wonders where they would come from insofar as TSLA. More probably macros.

Happy New Year to all!

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
They never sold a MIC Y before. The price they had before was a placeholder to not cannibalize 3 sales. Now that MIC Y is available, they set the price.

I got a question.
This week I could have sworn I read a headline that a China Tesla VP stated that there would NOT be any further price cuts of Tesla vehicles in China. And then the new MIC Model Y price drops by a Chinese ton.
Didn't I read that early?

So self drivingcar reddit is a little speechless with the SF to La fsd drive. They are the biggest Tesla FSD skeptic but is right now coming around to the fact that not only Tesla's FSD is the cheapest that can do this, but it's the ONLY system that can do this as no other company have HD mapped city to city yet. This is it guys, the moment Tesla's FSD went from "last place" to first.

I’ve had the stock for many years and now it’s approaching 10% of my portfolio. I was thinking about selling 25% of the position. Why does Elon keep saying it’s overpriced?

I had to laugh at your comment, the stock is 100% of my portfolio and I'm considering selling 10% of my position, wondering if I should take the risk...!

I suppose how one views risk is subjective!

Welcome and happy new year :)

In 2020, for the first time, one of my posts was copied to the merit thread. And @BrownOuttaSpec later added a helpful list of Tesla's technology leads, including links to sources.

Here are both posts together, for anyone who missed them... or for spouses who want to sell now.
We're in uncertain macro territory. A large stock market decline is very possible, and we don't know how long it would last. Tesla is better positioned than many others to ride out a period of economic calamity and also expand its market, but TSLA could go down a little or a lot before things get better. I'm not saying this will happen. I'm reacting to the certainty some people seem to have that TSLA will continue to go up. I believe it will in the long run, but the short and medium term could be different.

Last edited:
What an utterly SAVAGE! move by Tesla in China. Lull competitors to sleep, then machine gun them without warning on New Year's Day. I woke up this morning expecting a boring holiday but this company just refuses to let that happen. Haven't picked up my jaw from the floor yet.

One thing that puzzles me is pricing the P-version only $4,600 more than AWD. Anyone have a thought on that?

Green's revelation from a couple months ago of Model Y getting a HEPA filter / biohazard mode and heated steering wheel comes to pass. I'm getting impatient but will try to wait on these for the USA before ordering my wife's.

This news combined with Q4 deliveries coming out before Monday's open will make the weekend seem much onger.

Welcome to 2021 TSLA HODLers.

This surprised me as well. That subreddit usually dismisses anything FSD and Tesla but it seems like a lot of people there see how good it is getting.

So self drivingcar reddit is a little speechless with the SF to La fsd drive. They are the biggest Tesla FSD skeptic but is right now coming around to the fact that not only Tesla's FSD is the cheapest that can do this, but it's the ONLY system that can do this as no other company have HD mapped city to city yet. This is it guys, the moment Tesla's FSD went from "last place" to first.

Perpetual Roundtable? I hope @AudubonB made sure the thread won’t crash at page 65536!
Yeah, I am a little confused now. Do we continue here or is there a new thread? I see the new one, but it is not pinned to the top and this old one is not closed, on the contrary has been renamed to "perpetual".

So... what now?