Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're grievously mistaken.

Are people here incapable of looking things up? Why keep posting misinformation? It's like the web doesn't exist.

There’s really no reason to be insulting. I DID look it up and, unfortunately, my source was incorrect. This Motley fool article on RMDs incorrectly states that RMDs must be taken in cash. I appreciate your correcting my misunderstanding. Enough of this off-topic discussion now.

Too much liability. Better to stay far away from ICE even if just contemplating buying to shut it down.

It would not make sense for Tesla to do that (buy an ICE car company just to shut it down) this year, because they do not have enough spare cash to do that and it would be silly to reward the ICE shareholders with TSLA shares and dilute existing shareholders' value. On the other hand, I can see them doing that a few years down the road as an effective step in "accelerating the transition to sustainable transport". Once Tesla can produce enough cars to satisfy demand, then instead of dropping prices to create more demand, they might as well eliminate exterminate ICE companies.

Just saw this by the Fremont factory. Any thoughts on why a tesla is running lidar? TeslaSemi maybe or advance mapping?
135340C3-F156-467C-972A-0598DDCDAAA4.jpeg

It would not make sense for Tesla to do that (buy an ICE car company just to shut it down) this year, because they do not have enough spare cash to do that and it would be silly to reward the ICE shareholders with TSLA shares and dilute existing shareholders' value. On the other hand, I can see them doing that a few years down the road as an effective step in "accelerating the transition to sustainable transport". Once Tesla can produce enough cars to satisfy demand, then instead of dropping prices to create more demand, they might as well eliminate exterminate ICE companies.

ICE mfgs are busy shutting themselves down for failing to transition to EVs. Tesla’s money is better spent on factories.

Ford’s market cap is 33B. That would build a lot of factories...

Even nicer 'bump' at 16:10 hrs, when 1.2M shares traded at a buck above the Closing SP.

Well, we know a lot of S&P benchmarked funds chose to stay underweight TSLA thinking it was overvalued and they could gain alpha that way. Now that we are over the entry price, they are effectively short and losing alpha as the price goes higher. Could we be seeing a benchmark squeeze?

All those ICE companies are going to suffer 1 of 2 fates:-
  1. Go bankrupt and close OR
  2. Start making only EVs and close a lot of dealerships.
Tesla can do more to accelerate the mission by building new factories, service and supercharging.

They can buy land, factory sites and equipment from failing ICE companies, a lot of that may soon be available at "fire sale" prices.

There are very few skilled workers and very little useful IP at legacy ICE companies, plant and equipment is useful especially at the right price. Tesla already has a great brand.

The Chinese may buy legacy ICE for the brands and dealership network. They need an effective way of marketing their EVs in the US and Europe. My guess is, mostly the Chinese will not want plant and equipment, they will prefer to build cars in China.

Another likely alternative is ICE market cluster via mergers into a large conglomeration of brands, that route also closes a lot of factories and dealerships.

Just saw this by the Fremont factory. Any thoughts on why a tesla is running lidar? TeslaSemi maybe or advance mapping?
View attachment 624275

That has been covered before, essentially gathering "ground truth" data to validate visual distance measuring.

Gather the data it can be used lots of times, only a handful of cars are needed to gather the data.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lessmog
That has been covered before, essentially gathering "ground truth" data to validate visual distance measuring.

Gather the data it can be used lots of times, only a handful of cars are needed to gather the data.

Likely correct.

Also, being able to prove accuracy in measuring distance with cameras when compared to LIDAR may prove beneficial in winning over regulators. The majority of companies attempting to solve autonomous driving depend on LIDAR and at least a few of them are well funded (Waymo being at the top of the list). Unfortunately, lobbying and politics will be involved in this regulatory process. Tesla might be anticipating this.

Tesla has updated the Supercharger map with new locations.
  1. They say the map will be updated with new locations and dates quarterly.
  2. The opening date for most upcoming sites includes a quarter in addition to the year.

That's helpful.

I checked the Pensacola, FL planned Supercharger just a week or so ago. My memory may be incorrect, but it said something like "Coming Soon 2020." Now it's "Target opening in Q4 2021." Disappointing for me, personally, but I appreciate the detail.