Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That BS is so transparent I can see China through it!

The temperature of the globe is a function of the concentration of greenhouse gasses, not their rate of emission. And many of them persist for hundreds of years. Bringing greenhouse emissions to net zero does not reduce the concentration of previously emitted pollutants to zero. Therefore, warming will continue until the emitted pollutants are brought back into balance.

The fossil fuel industry is looking for any excuse to NOT take drastic action to solve our climate crisis.

It also isn't accounting for the cascade effect, which has already started. As the Earth warms, methane is being released from artic soils, which is accelerating warming. Most people do not seem to realize how bad this situation is. We are in a crisis, now, and need immediate strong action in order to prevent a massive die off of species, and possibly humans, from occurring.

Of all the things you mentioned that could impact value, two things stand out above all the rest as being important to that rate of growth and that is battery supply and in-house battery production.

In particular, the speed of ramping 4680 cells and structural battery pack. If Giga Shanghai is the yardstick with 150K Model 3 during its first year of regular production, we can probably expect the same from Giga Shanghai Model Y, which ought to get us through 2021 -- I can't see Tesla forecasting more production than the Q4 production rate (720K) plus 150K for MiC Model Y, even if in their hearts they're aiming for 1M.

But if they can't ramp 4680 cell supply or work out the kinks of the structural battery pack for Giga Berlin, I'm not sure what that does to Berlin Model Y in 2022 -- maybe not close to 150K produced there.

I'm also not clear on whether Austin Model Y or Cybertruck depend on 4680 cells or the structural pack. Ideally they would, instead of launching with previous-generation designs. But that's making the down side for 2022 still bigger if there are delays or if it just takes more than 2021 to get the battery sections of the factories up to speed.

If delays hit and the only production expansion in 2022 is whatever they can manage at Shanghai after Model Y, that will be a hit to the production growth rate for sure.

I guess third-party 4680 cells might let them launch Austin/Berlin Model Y production with the structural pack and not much of the rest of the range/cost benefits of the 4680 for now. But it's not clear when the third parties might have 4680 production running in bulk, either.

Chicago Tribune - yesterday: Editorial: Joe Biden and the reality of climate change

Excerpt:

Some things are working in Biden’s favor. The cost of solar and wind power has plummeted over the past decade, making renewable energy far more competitive with coal and natural gas. Auto companies are investing heavily in electric vehicles. The pioneering Tesla company is now worth more than the nine biggest carmakers combined...

The best climate option, and the one least susceptible to corruption and mismanagement, is also the hardest political sell: levying a tax on carbon fuels to gradually raise their price. That would stimulate a burst of capitalist innovation to get the greatest efficiency gains for the least expense.
I still like the EU approach the best - set emission targets and fine companies proportionately to the amount of miss. Not a tax per se, but a penalty.

Benzinga - half hour ago: 10 Consumer Discretionary Stocks Showing Unusual Options Activity In Today's Session

Excerpt:

Symbol PUT/CALL Trade Type Sentiment Exp. Date Strike Price Total Trade Price Open Interest Volume

TSLA PUT SWEEP BULLISH 01/08/21 $700.00 $108.0K 9.1K 18.8K

For TSLA (NASDAQ:TSLA), we notice a put option sweep that happens to be bullish, expiring in 3 day(s) on January 8, 2021. A trader bought 200 contract(s) at a $700.00 strike. This particular put needed to be split into 28 different trades to become filled. The trader or institution spent $108.0K on this trade with a price of $540.0 per contract. There were 9124 open contracts at this strike prior to today, and today 18819 contract(s) were bought and sold.

I post this picture every so often. Its from Degiro, a european broker, and the latest one shows the highest traded stock in each country for the whole of 2020. They also reported that as well as being the top in 8 of the 18 European countries, it was in aggregate the most traded.

map-most-traded-stocks-2020.png

As I used to do all my own auto repairs (emphasising "used to" as I'm 100% BEV now), from the very 1st day that I saw a technical drawing for an HEV (like below), I could not imagine the maintenance needed down the road having both technologies in one car. It goes to show how folks don't understand true cost of ownership.

Valid point in concept, but the Chevy Volt I bought in 2012 is still going strong in my son's hands with NO mechanical issues. Major issue was a punctured (battery?) cooling unit (mini radiator). It was a good purchase...was able to use it as 100% BEV for work commute. But it was a gateway to my first Model S.

We’ve been in this 720-740 channel for 10 hours of trading now. Usually that means another leg up shortly if the trend continues, but I don’t expect it to break through 750 very easily. I’d like to see it tickle the underbelly of 750 though.

TSLA generally doesn’t tickle whole numbers. It punches through then settles. TSLA is a runner if it can’t be capped.

These observations are my own and not investing advice.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
One of the reason sited was that Lidar is too expensive. I don't think that's a good argument. Tesla and SpaceX is built on the strength of cutting costs. If it is an obstacle that kills Lidar, then how do you value Tesla 's relentless effort of cutting down battery's cost, which a lot of people believed that was one of the factors to make EV a no go to begin with.

To say Lidar is useless because it is too expensive fall into the same category.
I gave you a "like" because you had the gonads to post this after a lot of disagrees... not because of your content .... you managed to get more disagrees on this subsequent post ...

i did not want to pile on.... keep at it ... in the spirit of constructive feedback
do your homework on Lidar vs. Vision next time o_O....

I gave you a "like" because you had the gonads to post this after a lot of disagrees... not because of your content .... you managed to get more disagrees on this subsequent post ...

i did not want to pile on.... keep at it ... in the spirit of constructive feedback
do your homework on Lidar vs. Vision next time o_O....
Just saw this by the Fremont factory. Any thoughts on why a tesla is running lidar? TeslaSemi maybe or advance mapping?
View attachment 624275

Trying to be cool like Google.
When I saw that pic from FireMedic, I immediately thought that that MX had a problem with loose Falcon Wing Doors and needed a big bracket to hold them down. :D

There may be other explanations though. :rolleyes: