Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you tell us only NOW :confused:;)?!
Looks bad I know... But Friday I was also watching my last ICE vehicle leave the garage.

She made it safe and sound to Vegas then Utah, for a 1963. She probably runs better now than ever. It just wasn't me anymore, and so I hand scrubbed the garage floor this weekend. It's a new room in the house really. When our 3 returns from it's US tour by family from Costa Rica, I'll post some pics. (And they've never seen snow, it took guts to lend it out, but now I know I can send it out on FSD soon.)

Oh ya... FSD. That's why I need more TSLA. Pick one, any or all reasons. (As it flirts again with $804.01)

I got booted today. But I got some more shares today as well. So that should make it easier to get back in.

When-She-Casually-Tries-Sneak-First-Class.gif

Were you "booted" due to setting a stop loss limit? If many others did the same, a resultant cascading may explain much of the walk down today. :eek:

I really have a hard time convincing myself to post in the investment sub-forum, as it just gets to be too emotional of a subject. At work, there are three subjects I refuse to discuss: Politics, Religion, and Investing.

But I'm going to bite the bullet, and just post one time. Take it or leave it, this is my opinion on investing, and is the strategy I've used since I bought my very first shares of stock in 1985.

Buy and hold.

If you look at the vast majority of successful growth companies, you'll find that the investors that came out on top were the ones that recognized the company's potential, bought the stock, and HELD ONTO IT until the company exited the growth stage. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, but the MAJORITY of the time it holds true.

The saddest investors are the ones that tried to time the market along the way. When you buy a stock and hold it LONG TERM, you have a long time to be "right." When you day trade and/or short term trade, your time window to be right is very short. Are you willing to risk your long term financial stability on your short term stock price forecasting skills? I'm not. Attempting to absolutely maximize your return on investment by "buying the lows, selling the highs" with a growth stock is a fool's errand.

Adding to your position during price drops (as long as nothing negative in the stock's fundamentals has changed) is fine, but selling your whole lot on a "high" and waiting to buy back in during a "low" is not a good idea.

Dollar cost averaging (purchasing stock over a period of time) and long term stock holding are proven wealth builders. Short term and day trading are not. Sure, there are pros out there that are able to do well with day/short term trading, but for the average guy (and even pros like Warren Buffet) long term buy and hold will end up being a far better wealth builder than short term trading.

I have a great deal of confidence in Tesla's stock price to go up LONG TERM. But I have zero confidence in my ability to forecast short term price fluctuations.

IMO, attempting to buy the lows and sell the highs in a growth stock is a fools errand. Attempting to "maximize" your return on investment this way is just NOT a proven way for the average guy to make a good return. There will ALWAYS be money left on the table. Be happy with what you got, put an X in the win column, and move on. You will simply NEVER be able to squeeze every potential penny out of a stock. That being the case, do what guys like Warren Buffet and Peter Lynch do: Buy and hold. Add to your position when the stock pulls back, but NEVER sell. Don't sell until the company finally exits its growth stage.

I purchased my initial TSLA stock in the middle of August, 2019, a few days after I took delivery of my car. I had been following the company for years, and had put YEARS worth of research in the company. Purchasing the product was the final straw; I KNEW I was looking at the future with this car. Why the bold "future"? Because that's when I'm going to sell my TSLA stock. Way, way, way into the future. I put 30 grand into my initial TSLA purchase, and I'm still adding to my position every Thursday of every week. I don't even bother to look at the stock price until after the trade goes through. Why? Because I don't care what the price is right now. I'm not going to care what the stock price is until years from now. Why? Because I have ZERO faith in my ability to look into a crystal ball and see what the price of the stock will be tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. But I DO have faith that ten years from now, the stock is going to be higher than it is right now. And that's all that matters.
I bought back in on Friday. FML

You guys understand that stocks doesn't go parabolic in one way or the other. Pullbacks are expected. Thats why I wasn't looking forward to today unlike some of you guys over the weekend but it's a necessary evil and overall healthy to consolidate.

Always like when major banks upgrade their price targets to justify current stock price.

You guys understand that stocks doesn't go parabolic in one way or the other. Pullbacks are expected. Thats why I wasn't looking forward to today unlike some of you guys over the weekend but it's a necessary evil and overall healthy to consolidate.

Always like when major banks upgrade their price targets to justify current stock price.
For sure, I had been waiting for a pullback for weeks, didn't seem to be coming. Thats why I say FML

Hi Guys, I am newbie and hold some Tesla shares at price point of $470. I am trying to understand what had happened today. Please could you or someone help explain a bit....
Thanks
More theories here... Benchmark funds finished buying last Friday which had a sustained influx of buying then disappeared. Why did they buy so heavily now (a theory)? Another theory is that some funds did not get what they needed at inclusion or decided to wait for a better price which never happened. So management said "Get it done!" Mostly a made up theory, but I'm sticking with it.

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic
Benzinga - half hour ago: Detroit Auto Show Canceled, New Outdoor Event Planned For September

Note: The show is run by Detroit car dealerships, hence it's unsurprising that Tesla may feel unwelcome. :rolleyes:

Excerpt:

The annual event held in Detroit will not occur in 2021, marking the second straight year it's been canceled.

A new event called Motor Bella will serve as a bridge to the future Sept. 21-26.

Tesla Inc was absent from the 2019 event, as were the German OEMs like Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz.

The way I look at it is that I have not actually lost anything today just as I have not gained anything last week, because I did not make any trades on my TSLA, so I still have the same number of shares as I finished last year. These theoretical losses and gains only become real when you close your position. In the same logic, claiming that Elon is the richest man is misleading too. If he were to try to cash out, that transaction would make the SP plummet so he would only get a fraction of this theoretical value realized.

Sorry but I have to completely disagree with this post. TSLA lost value today so this portion of your net worth dropped today. The value lost is not theoretical. It was real. With a click of a button one can sell those shares and within nanoseconds cash will appear in your account. Closing one's position will cause one to realize the loss or gain for tax purposes. Value is value even as it fluctuates by the second.