Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The world needs more cells.
Tesla is the best cell maker and has essentially infinite money.
Build more gigafactories.

My thinking is no more complex than that. People keep shouting about limited raw materials......whatever. Mining can adapt quickly. IN 2013, the market was dead sure we were about to run out of silicon for solar panel production.

Isn't range/100kwh on the efficiency of the car and not the battery? When it comes to energy density, it's about putting more kwh per similar weight. So a 100kwh wouldn't improve range for a model S that much as any range improvements would come from weight savings only which is something but not dramatic. The true range increase is from a 150kwh pack that is the same weight as the old 100kwh pack..this will yield the most range improvement.

But they're not going to put a 150kwh pack in- they're already cell-starved.

or as an actual GF Nevada employee put it-

A company that offers a 150kw battery has no demand for their vehicle.

https://twitter.com/BillWri90307793/status/1348227699752357891

Reactions: AZRI11
It does seem possible that Tesla soon will be breaking ground on a second gigafactory building. This would be a bit off-cadence, if the cadence is every year.

Then again, that cadence (measured in absolute number of GF under construction at any point in time) needs to be increasing as well in order to maintain this 50-100% annual growth rate.

MOAR and MOAR gigafactorie. Fortunately the current build rate leaves me more sanguine about the absence of more construction in Nevada.

Reactions: oldTAVguy
I'm desperately waiting for the 150kwh battery so I can tow a trailer. More efficiency in the car does not help that at all. And I have the sneaky feeling that I'm not the only one.
Somewhat related to this: am I the only one who has a sneaking suspicion that the listed ranges (e.g. 250+ miles, 300+ miles) for Cybertruck are what they expect when towing or carrying a heavy load? Such that the unloaded range may be substantially farther?

I don't really have anything to base this on, apart from the notion that a big towing hit to range with the 250-mile range model might make it a pretty unattractive option.

Reactions: kbM3
I put in a buy order...

I put a buy order in for a future dip below 650 (in the form of selling Puts for Jan 2022). I have enough Margin to buy the shares if they get assigned (don't try this if you don't, as you can get assigned before the expiration date and before you can roll). I sold 30 contracts (for 3,000 shares) for $420,000. If my "buy order" doesn't execute, I will console myself with his and her free Roadsters.... :D

P.S. - it is possible that a more profitable time to do this will be after ER if there is a drop in the SP. I sold now because I'm bullish and don't think there will be much of a drop.

Somewhat related to this: am I the only one who has a sneaking suspicion that the listed ranges (e.g. 250+ miles, 300+ miles) for Cybertruck are what they expect when towing or carrying a heavy load? Such that the unloaded range may be substantially farther?

I don't really have anything to base this on, apart from the notion that a big towing hit to range with the 250-mile range model might make it a pretty unattractive option.

Yes, you are. Tesla squeezes every mile it can get out of ratings.

Thought that occured to be today regarding the use of Tesla vehicles in the Las Vegas loop: Boring doesn't care about panel gaps or touched up paint. Scratch and dent family pricing for the mutual win?
It’s a great marketing opportunity. I expect Tesla wants those vehicles to shine.

There were 42.52 million visitors to Las Vegas in 2019. Las Vegas: visitors 2019 | Statista

Unlikely. They will be based on EPA ratings (almost certainly).