Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Q4 call, Elon said they were "planning" on delivering the first Cybertrucks in 2021 with volume production in 2022. .

What he actually said is quoted verbatim below...He did not say planning at all, he did say "if we get lucky" about delivering anything this year though.

Elon Musk said:
If we get lucky, we’ll be able to do a few deliveries toward the end of this year, but I expect volume productions to begin in 2022.

Oh wow. Did they get it working yet? Has the Mach-e shipped yet?
I was at the car wash yesterday (getting some Tesla love). A guy from a Ford dealership started talking up Mach-E and how it was going to blow away the Model 3. I asked if they were available yet. He said “soon”, but by "special order" only.

OT
So the new S...the plaid one...and well really the Plaid+ one.
One of you dinosaurs from the ICE AGE (having a biology background I had a hard time not fact-checking myself on that), One of you old farts that at one time liked drag racing and the noise and smells (I only went to one NASCAR event, and that was Tiddy Alley the night before The Talladega Race. It's where all the good ol and young boys block the road into the speedway, and any woman has to show what she's got before we allow the car to go down the road. The fun wasn't in the seeing. The real fun was when males in the cars would be goaded into getting out to fight us. We;d egg em on, and when they'd get out we'd just laugh and run from em till they got back in the car. That was the late 70's)
But back to my only sorta OT... (maybe someone can post a thread discussing it if there is one?) How bad is the Plaid and Plaid+ gonna be?
Will any ICE Monsters even come out to the line when a Plaid+ silently rolls out there?

• Funny
Reactions: capster
I was at the car wash yesterday (getting some Tesla love). A guy from a Ford dealership started talking up Mach-E and how it was going to blow away the Model 3. I asked if they were available yet. He said “soon”, but by "special order" only.
and the 10k people who actually buy one will have to pay the dealer a bribe

OT

Will any ICE Monsters even come out to the line when a Plaid+ silently rolls out there?
If the car you are lining up against doesn't have full racing slicks, a roll cage, and possibly a parachute then no. It's stupid fast. I put down a (refundable) deposit on one in case my 2021 is anything like my 2020. I'm dying to see what it can do on a road course.

Hard to do when they are only going to produce like 50k?

since I'm the president of the gary black fan club...:D (though i think gary was off by a day? :mad:)
upload_2021-2-1_12-40-37.png

upload_2021-2-1_12-41-0.png

I found this interesting today... I was worried about the market and wanted to see what it was up to so kept an eye on QQQ and Apple stock - I knew that if they were also in the green then nothing to worry about (if no bad news for TSLA)

So anyway, interesting just how much they all match for the 1st half of the day. I guess this just shows how closely everything is linked. I hadn't quite realised that before (still reasonably new to stock market shenanigans)

Thought may be interesting to share for others...

upload_2021-2-1_20-42-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-1_20-40-2.png
    upload_2021-2-1_20-40-2.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
You are comparing Tesla's first 2 real products (Model S and X) with car companies that had been in business for a century.

Step forward to the Model 3 compared to a top of the line 2020 Volvo S80 T6 built in Sweden. Pricewise, the Volvo was between my wife's RWD Model 3 and my Performance Model 3. But both of our Model 3's are better built cars than the Volvo. Both are faster than the twin-turbo straight six cylinder Volvo. Both handle better. Both are more reliable. Both cost less to operate and maintain. Both are more fun to drive. And the top of the line Volvo was no slouch in any of those areas. The Volvo was quieter and slightly more "luxurious" if that's what you want but the newest Model 3's have moved closer to that already. It's not that Tesla doesn't know how to match the Volvo in those areas, it's that it comes down to weight, efficiency and cost as the BEV powertrain had a built-in cost disadvantage that is rapidly evaporating. Obviously, early Tesla buyers put a premium on things other than luxury.

I question whether you really are a S3XY old man when you say things like that. New car buyers are getting younger and know what they want. And it's not their parent's old-world view of what's really important in a car.

Did you read the OP - we were talking about top-end German cars, not the Model 3 segment.

I'm only comparing my experience as well. As I said, the newer cars should be better, especially the MiC and pending MiG.

And I re-iterate that the *perception* of American-built car in the EU is that they're junk. It will take a lot to over-turn this. And no, I'm not equating fit-and-finish with luxury, but buyers of "top-end Audis, Mercs and BMWs" (hint - this was the original discussion) want that - fancy leather, polished wood, chrome, aluminium fittings, whatever. And they don't want it to creak and rattle as the car drives.

FTFY

It's important to never forget the real competition is comprised almost entirely of outdated internal combustion vehicles. EV's have so many inherent advantages and a built-in cost advantage that are increasing every year such that only EV makers will win and the total market is large enough that there will almost certainly be a number of winners that are not named Tesla. The market will pick the winners. These EV producers will primarily compete with ICE as well. I see no evidence they will compete with Tesla to any significant degree. But they don't have to be competitive with Tesla to succeed. Tesla cannot make enough cars or expand their product line fast enough to fill all demand. The other "winners" will only be winners because the competition is so handicapped with outdated and inefficient internal combustion technology.

Even though these truths have been obvious to any one paying attention over the last several years the market is, just now, starting to recognize that these truths are undeniable. That's not to say Tesla is incapable of making huge missteps that could result in a different outcome, but I just don't see any evidence that has much chance of happening. This is what people with real money on the line have been starting to realize.

My use of the term 'competition' was in the EV space, and they're more present and future participants than real 'competition' right now. This is in part why we investors have so much confidence in TSLA. Tesla has no EV competition (really) and ICE is a finite interim solution that will be legislated out of the market if the public doesn't abandon it first. All the while, Tesla will keep doing what it does best.

Did he mention how they are going to overcome the "50% more than a model 3" issue?