Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who have not yet viewed Elon interviewed by Sandy Munro, it is a must listen. Elon is at his best.
My favourite part is at 14:57 when Sandy states "THIS (Tesla's FSD) will save more lives than air bags, seat belts and anything else that anyone else has gotten. I was so impressed, I couldn't believe it...I want the rest of World to know what the new standard is."

So awesome. GM pays for advertising way in advance of vehicles they haven't even made yet, and won't be able to capitalize from for years to come (2025?!!), while promoting EVs that Tesla makes and sells now. And still no cost to Tesla for advertising. You can't make this stuff up.
:p
GM's Bolt EUV (Electric Utility Vehicle), a crossover based on the Bolt but larger, goes on sale this summer. They cancelled the gas Sonic (made on the same line as the Bolt) to increase EV production capacity to make this.

You can not make this stuff up. Wide shot of a cool looking SUV:

"Actual production model may vary. Not currently available"

Then what are you advertising???

With some perspective it's actually an extremely bearish signal. Reeks of desperation. GM stock should be down 20%.
Along with the 2035 announcement, I think they're setting the stage to ask the government to pay the capital costs of their EV transformation.

Model 3 with LFP cells: The big nextmove winter test

Detailed charging-report from Germany for the MIC M3 with LFP-Battery (all SR+ RWD).

(Including video with reports of people where i.e. the car goes from 14% to 0% instantly)

Main Takes:
- LFP still seems to be shaky & customers are used as "test-subjects"
- Dial-in of the BMS takes time & is much harder than with NMC (in China people got asked to charge up to 100% once a week)
- 440km WLTP-Range -> drops to 150km in Winter under bad circumstances
- 250km in winter under "good" conditions.

This is not acceptable. Tesla should not sell those LFP cars in colder regions without clearly stating their limitations.
I watched the whole 50 min video and read a lot on german forums. The LFP BMS is not even ready for a beta test. Tesla went too fast with the introduction of LFP. This could develop into a serious loss of reputation here in Europe and maybe northern China.
Software updates will likely improve the shortcomings. But they won't fix "coldgate" entirely - max 30kW @ 15% SOC is a joke to begin with (seen in another video).

I usually admire Teslas tech, but this disappointed me big time.

Model 3 with LFP cells: The big nextmove winter test

Detailed charging-report from Germany for the MIC M3 with LFP-Battery (all SR+ RWD).

(Including video with reports of people where i.e. the car goes from 14% to 0% instantly)

Main Takes:
- LFP still seems to be shaky & customers are used as "test-subjects"
- Dial-in of the BMS takes time & is much harder than with NMC (in China people got asked to charge up to 100% once a week)
- 440km WLTP-Range -> drops to 150km in Winter under bad circumstances
- 250km in winter under "good" conditions.

Ouch. A very worrisome read.

For those of you who have not yet viewed Elon interviewed by Sandy Munro, it is a must listen. Elon is at his best.
My favourite part is at 14:57 when Sandy states "THIS (Tesla's FSD) will save more lives than air bags, seat belts and anything else that anyone else has gotten. I was so impressed, I couldn't believe it...I want the rest of World to know what the new standard is."

My favourite part is around 38:00 where Sandy gives his inner fanboi free reign and suggests Tesla should go to 42V. :cool: But yeah, the entire video is a great watch. Two engineers having fun talking engineering.

So awesome. GM pays for advertising way in advance of vehicles they haven't even made yet, and won't be able to capitalize from for years to come (2025?!!), while promoting EVs that Tesla makes and sells now. And still no cost to Tesla for advertising. You can't make this stuff up.
:p

You can buy a Chevy Bolt today.

End of 2021 Hummer EV arrives.

Fall 2022 Cadillac Lyric reaches dealership.

No, you can't make this stuff up.

Ouch. A very worrisome read.
From a purely selfish standpoint with Norways eyes the good news is they have sold like 3 of the MIC SR+ in Norway. So that will probably not turn into a major problem.
The MG ZE EV has had some stories that seems similar to what people have experienced with the SR+ with the LFP batteries, though I can't find data on what battery type the ZE uses?

I seem to recall some smart people predicting that legacy auto would spend a lot of money on ads to help sell Teslas. Not sure where though. :p

Tesla paying to air ads won't help Tesla sell Teslas. So we are told.

Apparently, Tesla advertising the benefits of FSD won't increase take rate of FSD.

Chinese customers take rate for FSD is between 1-2% per Elon, but ads won't help apparently.

But GM making generic pro EV ads will help Tesla sell Teslas.

I also have TDA, and I have no idea. :p Hahah, that's why I only bought 10 shares, and plan on selling once the SP reaches $900, or above $830 by the close of the week. ;) Allows me to test the actual, daily interest rate of margin use in a simple way I can understand. And if the SP doesn't go above $830 this week, then onto the next, with possible earnings and that run up, to catch the $900 then.

@chudiddy

So this experiment ended up as clear as mud. Total margin interest for January for me was just over $16. While I did borrow enough margin for 10 shares, I ended up keeping them longer than one week (since the SP was lower than 830 that Friday). I also bought another 10, which I sold the same day for about $90 profit. I ended up selling 8 of the original 10 shares in two batches the week following, and kept the remaining two as Hoard pile shares (now margin free).

TDA gives a monthly statement where they, near the bottom, explain the margin interest charged. Dividing the amount charged vs. days held doesn't really give a clear indication of per day interest. This should be in The "may account" -> "History & Statements" -> "Statements" tab.

The amount of interest charged was low for Jan, but so was my margin use. It definitely makes me not want to hold onto these Put-gained margin shares for very long.

Tesla paying to air ads won't help Tesla sell Teslas. So we are told.

Apparently, Tesla advertising the benefits of FSD won't increase take rate of FSD.

Chinese customers take rate for FSD is between 1-2% per Elon, but ads won't help apparently.

But GM making generic pro EV ads will help Tesla sell Teslas.

Of course advertising would “help” sales. But the true question is, is it needed? I’m glad Tesla doesn’t pay to advertise. Not yet anyway.

As far as FSD in China goes. Once FSD rolls out to China for some people and videos are made of it hopefully working well, it will sell itself.