Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After-action Report: Tue, Feb 09, 2021: (Pre+Main Session Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Trades Sideways on Low Volume"

Pre-Market:
Volume: 371,210
SP High $863.42
SP Low $853.00​

Main Session:

Traded: $12,688,328,597.42 ($17.18B)
Volume: 14,939,663
VWAP: $849.30

Close: $849.46 / VWAP: 100.02%
TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP
TSLA MaxPain (7:00 A.M.): $850 (+$7.50 from Mon)​

TSLA S&P 500 Weight: TSLA/FB = 1.981270% (Feb 08)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / FB $815.358B / $767.305B = 106.26%
NB: Yahoo updated Mkt Cap re 10-K shares on Feb 09, 2021

CEO Comp. Status: (est'd Mkt Cap including 10-K (Feb 01) shares)

TSLA 30-day Closing Avg Market Cap: $811.87B
TSLA 6-mth Closing Avg Market Cap: $518.06B

Mkt Cap req'd for 8th tranche ($450B) likely achieved Tue, Jan 19, 2021
Mkt Cap req'd for 9th tranche ($500B) likely achieved Wed, Feb 03, 2021
Nota Bene: Operational milestones req'd (chart at link).
'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 40.0% (39th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 40.3% (46th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt ratio was 0.68% of Short Volume (48th Percentile Rank Exempt)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2021-02-09.png

QOTD: @Carl Raymond "Evil, good, good, true. True."

Comment: "Back to the salt memes"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

This apologetic short sellers article from the New York Times reeks of the exact same sort of contextless reporting we see on Tesla--it's so eerily similar I have to share it. The paper version headline is: "Dark Days for the Doubters Who Keep Stocks in Check."

The online version is titled: "Wall Street's Most Reviled Investors Worry About Their Fate"

The article briefly mentions Tesla. But in general it paints short sellers as underdogs, fighting the good fight, keeping evil corporations in check. It mentions Steve Cohen, but no mention of his insider trading legal battles, his >$1B fine for insider trading, or his two-year SEC ban of managing other people's money. Others mentioned: Chanos, Melvin Capital, Hindenburg Research regarding Palihapitiya's Clover Health, among others.

I never realized the NYT was so captured by short sellers--but it makes sense when we see how punishingly they report on Tesla. It's like they get all their talking points from shorts.

I wonder how big of a short position the NYT had on TSLA.

OffTopic

My soulmate wife decided to one up her game of putting her feet up in the car. The Cybertruck’s faux marble dash can’t get here soon enough.

View attachment 635347
If that was MY “soulmate”, she’d be walking home in those crampons.

Minor FYI:

I believe some new 3D models found in the Solar Gateway firmware could possibly mean Tesla has a couple of new home and industrial energy products in the works.

One model shows a home with solar, Powerwall, Gateway, Inverter, and Generator; another shows an industrial building with solar, Megapack, Gateway, Inverter, and Industrial Generator.

Could possibly mean Tesla branded generators for a fully redundant off-grid installation. But also probably means some sort of home/industrial energy management hub to display the visualization. No current Tesla Energy products have the kind of screen needed to show these 3D models.

More details and discussion in a dedicated thread here: 3D Modeled Energy Assets Found in Latest Firmware

OffTopic

My soulmate wife decided to one up her game of putting her feet up in the car. The Cybertruck’s faux marble dash can’t get here soon enough.

View attachment 635347
It always scares me when I see people resting their legs on the dash. Tesla or not if that dash airbag gets triggered you can imagine the next place that foot, boot and leg will end up.
Sorry to be a downer.
" We will return to our regular programming now."

Last edited:
Definitely OT, but do we all have the same adds running at the bottom of the page? Becoming a supporting member (and hopefully getting rid of them). When ever I see this one with the crazy looking chick holding a razor, I get scared and pee a little....

View attachment 635390
Google ads are based on your search history. ;)

The new Audi is hideous. Not only is the performance laughable for the price, but the interior is 10 years out of date, with way too many buttons. Do German engineers still use flip phones?
Whenever I’m in my wife’s 2015 Caddy ATS I envision a steampunk fighter jet. (She loves it, though).