Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about margin protection as a factor, but the bulk purchase of $20 strike puts wouldn’t be margin protection I suppose, right?
Of course, unless theoretically someone super rich or large fund is using a lot of margin.
I have no experience with this, so I hold no strong opinion. I think @mongo provided a good explanation some time ago that purchasing low-cost low-SP puts has the effect of 'freeing up' margin for use with high-price Calls.

But I will defer to any experienced Options traders who have ACTUAL knowledge (as opposed to my loosely-held opinion above) ;P

Cheers!

Would you be able to take a look at this thread, about reverse gamma squeeze, and share your comments?

My limited knowledge seems to say the points mentioned don’t actually point to any such dangerous setup for the stock.

I am not clear about this

@FrankSG ?

The subject matter is at the limit of my understanding, but as an avid reviewer of all kinds of texts I note (lol) the lack of objectiveness as a major red flag: "And if $TSLA is probably a fraud, this fact pattern ..."

So again, quite possibly a short seller looking for cover.

Semi off-topic but one nice tidbit on the Joe Rogan interview was the conversation about the new model S and its yoke (and lack of stalks). Apparently the car will work out if you want to go forward or backward based on sensors and history (did you back in, or drive forward into the parking space). E.G. You back into a space then get out, if knows you will want to drive forward when you next get into the car. Selecting reverse or forward will be on the touchscreen if you don't like what it has chosen. Elon's comment was that once you have used it a few times having to select a gear seems cumbersome.

Kinda cool!

Short interest decreased from the period 01/15/2021 (share price $826) to 01/131/2021 (share price $794).
The short amount also decreased in this period.
The shares outstanding and public float increased.
  • Shares shorted from 56.370.000 to 52.380.000
  • Float shorted from 7,47% to 6,82%
  • Amount shorted from $46.561.620.400,00 to $41.565.101.400,00
  • Shares outstanding from 947.900.000,00 to 959.850.000,00
  • Public float from 758.280.000 to 767.840.000
And meanwhile, for more than three years now, I am slowly accumulating more shares.

upload_2021-2-12_10-58-43.png

Just finished listening to the JRE podcast.

One new information to me is Elon was talking about VTL Jet when talking about Tesla future, so it feels more likely to be something Tesla will actually do than just a crazy idea.

Feeling it’s getting to the point almost like he was talking about this crazy truck he was working on.

But he then said he hopes he is not going to be the one ho works on it.

Then comes the big line “cars, trucks, boats and planes”.(-6:00 mark)

IIRC, It’s the first time I heard him talking about boats, and he puts it before planes.

Seems the new battery road map is unlocking a lot more crazy ideas, will be interesting.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear Elon support the simplistic idea that more CO2 is better for plants. Yes plants may grow faster and larger with extra CO2 but they can also end up weaker, less able to survive taxing conditions, and have lower nutrient values. I'd think he'd have a better handle on all effects of rapidly increasing CO2 levels.

He's been gradually disappearing deeper down right-wing alt-science and junk conspiracy rabbit holes. It's very sad to see in real time. Go ahead and throw more disagrees but it's absolutely true. Treating the man like an infallible god is childish and counter-productive.

i think my posting history speaks for itself regarding how bullish i am on Tesla as a company and its products. I also think Elon's accomplished an astounding number of incredible achievements. He's obviously a very smart guy, too. Not just a product of "right place right time", luck, or inherited privilege. He's a bona fide once-in-a-lifetime entrepreneur, and for a CEO he is incredibly sharp on the technical details of his companies' products and problems.

However, I also think the biggest threat to Tesla's future is Elon pushing the company to make billion dollar bets on shaky alt-right impulses. Impulses like incorrectly claiming that COVID was a hoax, or speculating that Bitcoin is the future of all money. Is the justification for investing in Bitcoin going to portend a subtle pivot of Tesla's mission, downplaying the dangers of climate change as well?

There is also him conspicuously taking potshots at the Onion and promoting the eternally cringey (and coincidentally right-leaning) Babylon Bee instead, whining about "cancel culture" and pronouns for no good reason. These things don't affect the company in any way, but they are symptoms of the same disease. They reaffirm the kind of trash voices that have his ear at the moment, and it is definitely not reassuring to me as an investor.

Last edited:
He's been gradually disappearing deeper down right-wing alt-science and junk conspiracy rabbit holes. It's very sad to see in real time. Go ahead and throw more disagrees but it's absolutely true. Treating the man like an infallible god is childish and counter-productive.

I think its more the case that "polite society" has been disappearing deeper down social-justice inspired left wing rhetoric

Elon just does the math. Numbers have no left and no right

Surprised to hear Elon support the simplistic idea that more CO2 is better for plants. Yes plants may grow faster and larger with extra CO2 but they can also end up weaker, less able to survive taxing conditions, and have lower nutrient values. I'd think he'd have a better handle on all effects of rapidly increasing CO2 levels.
Well.. depends on the plant.
They have 3 possible CO2-Cycles. The C4 and the C3-Cycle are the most important as many plants can do them.
Details: C3, C4 and CAM Plants.

For the plants we use for agriculture (corn, sugar cane etc.) the C4-Cycle is no problem.

But some studies indicate lower yields in the C4-Cycle (iirc. corn can do both & switch depending on the conditions).

Maybe Elon does not know all this stuff & just thinks "more CO2 = more reactive material = good" - which would also be my intuition if i didn't know better.

this is true. Rogan is human garbage and it makes me sad that Elon is going the same route, sliding down that slippery slope of alt-right mind rot.

i think my posting history speaks for itself regarding how bullish i am on Tesla as a company and its products. I also think Elon's accomplished an astounding number of incredible achievements. He's obviously a very smart guy, too. Not just a product of "right place right time", luck, or inherited privilege. He's a bona fide once-in-a-lifetime entrepreneur, and for a CEO he is incredibly sharp on the technical details of his companies' products and problems.

However, I also think the biggest threat to Tesla's future is Elon pushing the company to make billion dollar bets on shaky alt-right impulses. Impulses like incorrectly claiming that COVID was a hoax, or speculating that Bitcoin is the future of all money. Is the justification for investing in Bitcoin going to portend a subtle pivot of Tesla's mission, downplaying the dangers of climate change as well?

There is also him conspicuously taking potshots at the Onion and promoting the eternally cringey (and coincidentally right-leaning) Babylon Bee instead, whining about "cancel culture" and pronouns for no good reason. These things don't affect the company in any way, but they are symptoms of the same disease. They reaffirm the kind of trash voices that have his ear at the moment, and it is definitely not reassuring to me as an investor.

Alt right mind rot? Conspiracy rabbit holes? Reasonable people can disagree with Elon on many things... Bitcoin and covid being just two. But yours seems like quite the overreaction.

Just finished listening to the JRE podcast.
One new information to me is Elon was talking about VTL Jet when talking about Tesla future, so it feels more likely to be something Tesla will actually do than just a crazy idea.

OT
One idea doesn't want to leave my mind... the basic trick is to quickly climb high where going forward needs less power.
But if all the energy for climbing high must come from onboard batteries then during most of the flight those batteries will be at relatively low SOC but still at full weight.
Now think of the roadster's SpaceX package ... a VTOL could also have a few cold gas thrusters and a high-pressure tank that would be "charged" (i.e. filled) before takeoff using shore power.
This thrusters would be used only during takeoff to gain part of the initial altitude and speed. In this way total VTOL mass would be lower needing less batteries.
I wasn't yet able to put this into numbers to see if it would be really worth it.

To be honest, I'm ok with somebody already doing everything they can to fight something, not keeping up with ALL it's negative impacts in detail.

Well.. depends on the plant.
They have 3 possible CO2-Cycles. The C4 and the C3-Cycle are the most important as many plants can do them.
Details: C3, C4 and CAM Plants.

For the plants we use for agriculture (corn, sugar cane etc.) the C4-Cycle is no problem.

But some studies indicate lower yields in the C4-Cycle (iirc. corn can do both & switch depending on the conditions).

Maybe Elon does not know all this stuff & just thinks "more CO2 = more reactive material = good" - which would also be my intuition if i didn't know better.

Yes, I am also baffled by what Elon has been saying here and there over the recent times, because it does effect the sales for Tesla. If my hard core conservative in-laws heard him say this, they would be thrilled and say "see, I don't need to buy an EV...."

Elon gave this presentation on the carbon bubble in 2016, so I don't understand...

Yes, I am also baffled by what Elon has been saying here and there over the recent times, because it does effect the sales for Tesla. If my hard core conservative in-laws heard him say this, they would be thrilled and say "see, I don't need to buy an EV...."

Elon gave this presentation on the carbon bubble in 2016, so I don't understand...

It is difficult to FORCE people to buy anything. That’s why I’m glad Elon has pushed the world into making great EVs so people WANT to buy them.

Alt right mind rot? Conspiracy rabbit holes? Reasonable people can disagree with Elon on many things... Bitcoin and covid being just two. But yours seems like quite the overreaction.

Elon is too complacent on covid. But if Alameda had their way, his factory would still be shut down.

If the government is going to force a business closed, then they need to be made whole. If I owned an affected business watching my savings disappear, I’d be extremely upset too. This will have ramifications for decades for many people.

He downplayed climate change? I skipped the first 40 mins because people here said first hour was nothing new. But the last hour had like a 20 min talk about the dangers of climate change.

He downplayed climate change? I skipped the first 40 mins because people here said first hour was nothing new. But the last hour had like a 20 min talk about the dangers of climate change.
I heard the last part and am preparing to listen to the first part.

Elon did a remarkable job of telling the truth in a precise way that would be instructive and useful for any person who paid attention in high school physics.

Tesla stock should go up.

For example, his description of binding energy of hydrocarbons points to energy intensive carbon capture if you try to make them back into oil was useful to people who paid attention in high school.

What I have heard was very good and instructive and reflects well on the interviewer.