Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who is that nobody?

Almost nothing he quoted Elon as saying there is true. He didn't say SpaceX was going to Mars this year, or that the Roadster is shipping this year. He also said you don't need computers to make nuclear weapons, which is true, because we didn't have much in the form of computers in 1945...
Semi-well known guy in the Tesla and TSLAQ community. From what I gather he went from a fan to a hater sometime after selling his stock and hoping to buy back in lower or something. That was before my time on Twitter though. He has made fake videos about autopilot in the past as well.

That is how many finance people model many companies though (not saying it is right or wrong and I don't mind them having to look at companies differently), and if they can't create their models or justifications...

So you are saying that having to do one extra math problem is preventing them from creating their model? o_O:eek::rolleyes:

If that is the case they probably shouldn't be creating models.

So you are saying that having to do one extra math problem is preventing them from creating their model? o_O:eek::rolleyes:

If that is the case they probably shouldn't be creating models.

No... I'm not saying that. I'm saying being vague and saying 'we expect 50% growth yearly with 2021 having the potential for more than that' is vague enough they can't attribute a solid number to it. 750 is too low for what Tesla is clearly expecting, but the difference between 750k and 900k are big enough to create a short term issue. They wanted a small range guidance. Not a percentage growth that they plan to exceed this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: T@oo and Lessmog
Given that you are breaking down the supply by OEM and supplier, you may want to consider a mosaic chart (Mosaic plot - Wikipedia). This would make is easier to see how for example LG is a key supplier to each OEM and how that fraction from LG varies by client.

If you look closely you will see that is what I have done, both from the car manufacturer perspective, and the cell supplier perspective. On the BEV competition thread at Tesla BEV Competition Developments you'll find both of them. In Microsoft Excel they are called treemaps. You call them mosaic charts. Personally I term them navajo blankets.

Thank fcuk for my $DOGE investment - that mother runs 24/7/365. I don't really care if it goes up or down, it's just a ticker to watch.

You all laugh but I have been holding doge since 2014!

Weekend OT: I built a gaming PC in 2013 and found Dogecoin in early 2014. Long story short I spent a total of two hours mining Dogecoin and decided the returns were laughable. I was awarded 2,107 doge coins worth a whopping 60 cents for my two hours of effort.

If only I knew that I was printing $80 an hour! Hindsight is 20/20 :rolleyes: Sold all but 100 at 8 cents each.

Last edited:
No... I'm not saying that. I'm saying being vague and saying 'we expect 50% growth yearly with 2021 having the potential for more than that' is vague enough they can't attribute a solid number to it. 750 is too low for what Tesla is clearly expecting, but the difference between 750k and 900k are big enough to create a short term issue. They wanted a small range guidance. Not a percentage growth that they plan to exceed this year.
Isn't that the whole point of being an analyst. If Tesla today knew exactly how many cars they would sell for 2021 then it wouldn't be a target but a statement of facts. Anything they say now is going to be guidance or a target. By definition it is uncertain, and by definition any analysts model based on that needs to do some analysing of that target. I'm loosing all respect for analysts, not that I had much to begin with. It seems whining is the major component of their job description not math skills or analytical skills.

Greg is a Tesla hater so it's not satire.

Greg is an interesting case, he presents himself as a race car driver and instructor, so a professional driver that is used to performance and may have a wider range of experience as to what other higher end cars are like than I do.

He actually was advocating for Tesla for a long time, when he got his performance model 3, and it was blowing his mind. He would tweet things that I could totally relate to like 'Driving this is like having god mode in a computer game, you have the unfair advantage every time'.

But he also was getting frustrated with the quality of autopilot on the streets of SF, he expected a lot more, and found that when he spoke up, the fanboys that did not have the same experience or expectations don't really seem to acknowledge criticism and explain away issues and experiences that he had.

I can only speculate here, but it seemed that intensified when the stock price started to take off, and he fell prey to the negativity of teslaq which at least would listen to issues he identified. Maybe he sold Tesla stock too early and never got back in. Who knows, but it looked like a 'the grapes are too sour' kind of reaction to me. He always was worth following because he would say provocative things that sometimes were brilliant, but after this time period, he also started to repeat FUD and misrepresentations in a bitter way. Always talked about how he was going to buy a mach-e as the next car instead, but then in the end did express that he saw better value in the Model Y when it comes down to him making another purchase decision. And yet keeps repeating the mantra of teslas overvalued, FSD a lie, panel gaps, Ford and VW are going to start mass producing better cars any time now etc. He eventually blocked me on twitter when I gave my version of reality a few times. Not sure if that is why, or he adopted teslaq blacklists, or for other reasons, i.e. my political retweets etc.

I wish him all the healing he needs.

Sure, it would be nice to have numbers. But, Elon and the board really don't know what the future might bring, do they? Especially after dealing with last year. Their recent experience with just what sort of unexpected things might happen (despite how they did what they intended anyway) is a lesson learned.

No representative of any growing company, particularly one where the media have a habit of ripping them up over minor deviations, is going to express in any concrete terms what they are expecting.

A friend once told me, "You get what you inspect, not what you expect" and I believe this is doubly true here.

Sure, folks are gonna gripe, and as SMR says so often "they'll have to think, and thinking's hard" for many of them. So why give the kiddies matches to play with and send them out to the hay barn?

The disappointment of these whiners is much better for the SP than the grand strokes at negativity they would spew given a little more information to spin.

If you are concerned about how not telling them will affect the SP, give some thought to how telling them has affected the SP in the past.

Tesla is once burned, twice shy, and I support their decision to not feed the Trolls.

Let them do the hard work, or, just put in some effort watching Tesla Daily and other folks who are giving them more precise numbers.

Last edited:
Isn't that the whole point of being an analyst. If Tesla today knew exactly how many cars they would sell for 2021 then it wouldn't be a target but a statement of facts. Anything they say now is going to be guidance or a target. By definition it is uncertain, and by definition any analysts model based on that needs to do some analysing of that target. I'm loosing all respect for analysts, not that I had much to begin with. It seems whining is the major component of their job description not math skills or analytical skills.

I mean yeah... I'd argue that any analyst just looking at the number of cars Tesla produces just misses the overall point. Those analysts certainly exist though and those numbers having more clarity would help them value. There is a reason traditional auto analysts simply have missed the valuation here and being too tied up with production and gross margin on that production is a big part of it.

Reactions: Cobos and 2daMoon
Sure, it would be nice to have numbers. But, Elon and the board really don't know what the future might bring, do they? Especially after dealing with last year. Their recent experience with just what sort of unexpected things might happen (despite how they did what they intended anyway) is a lesson learned.

No representative of any growing company, particularly one where the media have a habit of ripping them up over minor deviations, is going to express in any concrete terms what they are expecting.

A friend once told me, "You get what you inspect, not what you expect" and I believe this is doubly true here.

Sure, folks are gonna gripe, and as SMR says so often they'll have to think and "thinking's hard" for many of them. So why give the kiddies matches to play with and send them out to the hay barn?

The disappointment of these whiners is much better for the SP than the grand strokes at negativity they would spew given a little more information to spin.

If you are concerned about how not telling them will affect the SP, give some thought to how telling them has affected the SP in the past.

Tesla is once burned, twice shy, and I support their decision to not feed the Trolls.

Let them do the hard work, or, just put in some effort watching Tesla Daily and other folks who are giving them more precise numbers.

Yup... don't disagree. We just shouldn't be shocked at when those types turn their back on Tesla like Gary did. He'll come back around and I think it will be when Q1 production exceed 180k as he can easily fit it into his viewpoint.

• Disagree
Reactions: AZRI11 and 2daMoon
Who is that nobody?

Almost nothing he quoted Elon as saying there is true. He didn't say SpaceX was going to Mars this year, or that the Roadster is shipping this year. He also said you don't need computers to make nuclear weapons, which is true, because we didn't have much in the form of computers in 1945...
Um, actually there were computers — people, mostly women.

Computing Power Used to Be Measured in 'Kilo-Girls'