Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And let's be real. Nobody on this forum can say jack about environmental costs. Sure we all care about it (or almost all of us) and are making changes but if we cared THAT much we wouldn't be driving cars, or taking vacations, or living in large homes. Glass houses and all that.

I respectfully disagree.
Not everyone here has thousands-feet homes, or multiple cars, or fly more than once in several years, or eat a cow per month... Not here to judge - I know what my personal sins are - but there are differences.
Environmentally, there is a difference between ICEs and a EVs; there are differences between a cruise-loving frequent-flyer and someone who is not.
I thought for a forum like this those difference were important: if not, we should just believe in high-growth stocks, whatever the companies behind them.

We don't like it. But we cannot ridicule them to think this improve their life. And to some degree, it is very tempting for me to say that somehow I would like to sacrifice my privacy a little bit if we can catch 30 year murderers too.
FWIW, I have lived in 16 countries during my life. To any objective person it should be clear that societal values differ among people on many different grounds. Some people in some countries think their own systems are superior to all others. Some simply know there are differences. Those comments may seem off-topic but they are not.

Tesla is a multi-cultural company, more so every day. Tesla has thus far been adept in coping with California, New York and Texas (same country, different cultures), Beijing, Shanghai (ditto, those two cities are distinct worlds though outsiders often don't see that- check history!), Brandenburg and broader Germany and so on. Tesla benefits by the trip-national outlook of Elon plus a wide variety of national, linguistic and cultural differences among senior staff.

The preceding paragraph is in large part explaining how Tesla consistently has been results than do most others in places considered to be difficult. These attributes become more important as Tesla matures.

Consider that Tesla has managed too obtain some wildly improbable advantages:
1. Tesla seeks EV advantage with European energy market push
2. 100% owned China operation
3. Tesla granted electricity generation licence in the UK - Energy Live News

There are many more examples, perhaps most obvious in accomplishments, specifically the seemingly unprecedented speed with which Fremont, Sparks, Shanghai, Brandenburg and Austin have been/are bing completed.

Cultural rigidity and jingoism would have derailed any of these, probably all of them.

So, the message of all this is that Tesla works very hard to deliver the best environment for workers, host governments and customers. They are not perfect.

Tesla does not and certainly will not attempt to impose any specific cultural perspectives anywhere.

Finally, the first human right in the US is 'life'. When a country imposes specific restrictions to avoid communicable disease and protect against criminal attack some see detail of human rights because they may well confuse 'license' for 'freedom' so permit the former in defense of the latter.

This is not intended to be a polemic for any given view. It is an explanation, in part, for the success of Tesla that differentiates it from almost all others. This advantage is as difficult to replicate as are several of the technological ones. This is a 'moat'.

4K works for me, but are you telling me you didn't go over and investigate/film close-up, dude!!

One thing, have they updated the tail-lights, could you tell? By that I mean are they a still looking like separate LED's, or do they have the soft look that you have with the MX?

Hah I did investigate close up, but the driver said no pictures. I didn't notice anything different with the rear tail lights.

I respectfully disagree.
Not everyone here has thousands-feet homes, or multiple cars, or fly more than once in several years, or eat a cow per month... Not here to judge - I know what my personal sins are - but there are differences.
Environmentally, there is a difference between ICEs and a EVs; there are differences between a cruise-loving frequent-flyer and someone who is not.
I thought for a forum like this those difference were important: if not, we should just believe in high-growth stocks, whatever the companies behind them.
The point is that we are all making some kind of compromise and aren't doing anywhere near to what we could do to lower our carbon footprint. We all believe the grid will be super clean soon because of cheap and plentiful renewables right? Then this problem will sort itself out just fine.

AND your carpet.

By the way, what on earth would be the benefit of powered seat recliners/raisers? The most frantic of car users alter that configuration how often? Twice, thrice a week? And in exchange for the dependability and simplicity of a gravity hook-and-latch you get the complexity of a motorized mechanism? This is not windows we're discussing here. I sincerely hope not to see such.

My older dad would not agree. Folding down and especially lifting up the seats is difficult for him, but I do get your point.

The point is that we are all making some kind of compromise and aren't doing anywhere near to what we could do to lower our carbon footprint. We all believe the grid will be super clean soon because of cheap and plentiful renewables right? Then this problem will sort itself out just fine.
no sir as many of us are working diligently to consciously lower our carbon footprint. Personally we are down 89%. And 90% lower than the average US household.

It's pretty obvious that Brian121 is Chinese and it's a good opportunity to understand how the Chinese think as they are culturally bread to be different. Remember that time a Chinese coworker (not born in the US) raised hell in front of their boss? Probably not as stereotypically Chinese people are rule followers in the face of authority like how they were raised to be as such in the mainland. The people actually enjoys government intervention and large governments. They also enjoy authoritarianism as they see it as efficiency, taking the politics out in which it's proven to stifle specific goals (they watch Republicans and Democrats battle back and forth with zero progress toward anything after 4 years as they build transformative sustainable energy infrastructure at record speed). Every time I hear politicians say "how can we have the Chinese have the fasted rail system while we fall behind?" How? Politics...The CCP doesn't believe in negotiations, they just do and it's done. How did the government stop Covid? They shut down the citizen of a particular area. If you don't have a negative test you can't buy food...while you can't even get people to wear masks here. Like I said, what the CCP wants they get..they want near zero Covid cases they will get it no matter how much freedom they take away.

Citizens are used to falling in line and just cares about similar goals, which is money and status. Honestly I have never heard any of my relatives wishing there's more human rights or freedom as they don't really care about such things as much as an American would. Propaganda works, and having many Chinese citizens driving Mercedes S classes just reinforce that propaganda.

Unfortunately this kind of upbringing doesn't lead to a lot of creativity and thinking outside of the box, hence all the IP stealing.
And having seeing your response I’m guessing you too are chinese but probably don’t support CCP as much or lived outside of China a litter longer than the OP. I had nearly the same thoughts reading the OP as your response. Scary!

And having seeing your response I’m guessing you too are chinese but probably don’t support CCP as much or lived outside of China a litter longer than the OP. I had nearly the same thoughts reading the OP as your response. Scary!
Yes I am Chinese. I lived through the Tian Men square incident as a little child and have lived in the US since then. Much has changed and the China I knew being more inline with NK is no longer as such. I do believe the CCP is definitely cut throat when it comes to their dealings. However I also can't deny the wealth and FREEDOM( (yes but only vs before) the current government has brought to their people vs when I was there 30 years ago having trouble with running water and food security IN Beijing. This is one of the main reasons why the people will fall in line more than revolt like back late 1980s. The lesser of two evils, no freedom and being poor vs less freedom and being wealthy. Everyone rather choose the latter.

Honestly if we were to compare China when Mao was in power, the China of today is almost like anarchy in comparison. My grandmother spent a good portion of her young life kissing up to the CCP by working 2x as hard in their "training camps" just so they wouldn't terminate her for coming from a family of wealth, in which the CCP completely dismantled. The amount of brainwashing back in the days were ridiculous, in which we see so little of nowadays on Chinese television with hundreds of variety vs just a few propaganda channels back in the days. Just the other day my mom was telling me how a friend was extremely frustrated and actually became ill all due to a lack of tears when Mao died. She was afraid of being shamed or worst thrown in Jail. China is actually livable today, not so much decades ago.

Last edited:
And let's be real. Nobody on this forum can say jack about environmental costs. Sure we all care about it (or almost all of us) and are making changes but if we cared THAT much we wouldn't be driving cars, or taking vacations, or living in large homes. Glass houses and all that.
One data point. I'm a TSLA shareholder but
  1. I live very frugally (I almost never buy new stuff, reuse as much as possible, recycle when possible etc)
  2. The only vehicle I have ever owned is a cheap bicycle... and my shoes. I commute by bike or by feet. I take trains to go on vacation and, at most, get in a car at most 7 days in a year (in EV as much as possible, otherwise I ride-share with whom I live with)
  3. I live in a <500 sq. ft. apartment with my partner. Our energy provider guarantees that they source 100% of my use from renewables. Even if can't reach that, we'd get our electricity from nuke plants, anyway. I consume half the energy as similar households around us, according to their stats.
  4. We're vegetarian and I buy all our food from community-supported farmers (100% organic, local, fresh, and prepaid annually)
I'm trying to live even more frugally and as carbon free as possible, but it's getting difficult at this point. I'd be happy to get some recommendations if you can help @Nocturnal, but rest assured that some shareholders are only here to support the mission (accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy, not mining bitcoins).

1. I live very frugally (I almost never buy new stuff, reuse as much as possible, recycle when possible etc)
  2. The only vehicle I have ever owned is a cheap bicycle... and my shoes. I commute by bike or by feet. I take trains to go on vacation and, at most, get in a car at most 7 days in a year (in EV as much as possible, otherwise I ride-share with whom I live with)
  3. I live in a <500 sq. ft. apartment with my partner. Our energy provider guarantees that they source 100% of my use from renewables. Even if can't reach that, we'd get our electricity from nuke plants, anyway. I consume half the energy as similar households around us, according to their stats.
  4. We're vegetarian and I buy all our food from community-supported farmers (100% organic, local, fresh, and prepaid annually)
I'm trying to live even more frugally and as carbon free as possible, but it's getting difficult at this point. I'd be happy to get some recommendations if you can help @Nocturnal, but rest assured that some shareholders are only here to support the mission (accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy, not mining bitcoins).

Not our fault you live in France.

Kidding, of course, as I pray to the 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus that this thread doesn't turn into a pissing contest of virtue.

You guys remember that level 4 autonomy law introduced in Germany from earlier this week?

I was too lazy to summarize it thoroughly. It's basically made for commercial providers only.

Here is an overview by Steven Peeters with help from @avoigt

My hope is that Tesla masters FSD outside of Europe soonish and Europe gets forced to adapt more quickly to not get left behind.
I don't have to tell you that FSD will be a major game changer for society and productivity. The laggards will lose a lot.

You are correct. Humans leave a hell of a mark. You keep tripping over their crap from thousands of years ago.

Conservation is important and has its place, but the only way out of here is cheap nearly limitless energy and technologies to cure our ills. No one wants to hear they need to live in a closet and ride a bike to not be hypocrites to the idea of sustainability. In fact, a large part of the population would rather engage in violence to prevent this, future be damned. As in, life is not worth living under such constraints. They have not been properly domesticated.

TANSTAAFL for sure. But perhaps we can allow the Sun to pay the price for a while and live large off its irresponsible behavior.
True, most people would not agree to a lower quality of life. Still, efficiency is a way to let them have their cake and eat it too to some extent.

Look at Tesla. Its cars are popular in large measure due to better performance and not just because they’re green. Tesla cars get great performance in part because they’re efficient.

I had great success making my previous house very efficient. However, when asked about efficiency, I tell people to use the 80/20 rule (for most that’d be wrt to cost not energy as that is easier to understand and measure for them).

Put the 80% towards efficiency improvements and use your purchase power to boost technologies’ chances in the marketplace. For example:
* Appliances with better technology such as the Miele heat pump dryer and the A. O. Smith Vertex hot water heater
* Awnings. I love awnings. They are way under appreciated in the US. Not sure why.
... insulation ... LED bulbs ...
* Don’t forget to get a Tesla or other EV if you need a car. :)

Once you have improved your efficiency, then get solar.

Put the remaining 20% towards others through political donations or other choices you make. It can be more impactful.

I knew a building energy consultant who made his home so efficient that he was investigated by his local power company for stealing energy! The thing is when you get to that level, the solutions start to become much more exotic and expensive so you may not be encouraging technology that is viable in the larger market with your purchases.

Last edited:
Honestly if we were to compare China when Mao was in power, the China of today is almost like anarchy in comparison. My grandmother spent a good portion of her young life kissing up to the CCP by working 2x as hard in their "training camps" just so they wouldn't terminate her for coming from a family of wealth...China is actually livable today, not so much decades ago.
My first trip to China was in 1967. I was terrified, but I'll skip details. Every few years I have been back for different purposes. The advances have been astounding, even in tibet, for example. It is curious that so many Westerners think of intellectual property theft as the core principle. Those people have no idea how much education and study can do without outright theft. They fail to understand that technology inevitably transmits itself. I recall spending years working for US and European firms who assiduously cultivated every effort to copy the best from their competitors.

Lest we forget it Tesla makes all its patents available to others so long as they use them in good faith. Of course those patents are not the 'secret sauce'.

Woke up this morning and a little surprised about the discussion form my original post. Originally I intended to stop already, because I don't believe in fire post a lot of replies and "fight" every disagreement. I believe in make my point and listen to others response, observe my short come in my own belief and learn from it and improve myself's judgement. But a lot of responses are really good so I am going to continue a little bit. As I said, I don't want dwell on it and fire fight everyone just to try to prove myself. I enjoy learning just as giving.

1. Yes, I am Chinese and I, for one, does not conform to the uniformity of the Chinese culture. I have been living in USA for 30 years and recently when China changed their constitution to void the term limit to the leader without any major disagreement or even discussion from the society, I even cut Wechat connection to most of my classmate because I cannot stand their jingoism and what happened run counter to my belief.

2. Some poster indicate that we should be terrified about China's everywhere video monitoring and facial tracking. Well, from Chinese point of view, why is there anything to be terrified about unless you are a murderer or pick pocketer? A general citizen just want to live a safe life, and these high tech tools only enhance their life quality. Of course as an American, I strong disagree with their methods because I worry the lost private and the slippery road of government controlling every aspect of citizen's life, as I indicated in my original post. My point is even though we hold our belief, it is none of our business to judge how other country run their own business. And in this case, how Elon perceived how successful Chinese government run their business taking care of their people. Here we are not talking about Chinese forcing us to install camera at every corner of USA street, neither we are talking about USA and Chinese living peacefully along side each and mind their own business, I was merely responses to the very original post that Elon is soft on Chinese government because of the economic benefit, and the undertone it implied, that Chinese government is bad all around. So it is us who are judging them. And I think it is wrong that we have the moral high ground to judge how Elon's interpretation about how Chinese government treat their people.

3. With regard to Covid, yes, in China, if there is a family member that caught COVID, then the whole house can not buy food, as you said (actually I am not sure if this is entirely true, usually what happen is that there can only be one family member leave the house to buy food every other day, but I am really not sure the situation if some family member is actually sick). But you omit an important factor in China, they mobilized a large army of neighborhood based volunteers to deliver food to your door step while you cannot leave your house to buy food. Otherwise people would starve to death, think about it. There is only one city recently that did not have enough volunteer when they implemented the house shut down polity, that people went starving. The city official was under tremendous pressure and facing the prospect to lose his job he hastily implemented the shut down policy without enough volunteer. But the situation is quickly corrected.

Yes, in China government shut down the subsection of the city if there is COVID spreading and take people's freedom away, but you also omit the important second leg of the story that after 2 weeks hard quarantine and Covid is eradicated from the neighborhood that they give people's freedom back. I saw in videos that at 11pm in frigid temperature and high wind, people as old as 70, and young kids, lining up and slowly walk away from their apartment building in dimly lighted street towards concentrated quarantine site, under the watchful eyes of the medical staff in full protective gear. Can you imagine this would happen here without people accusing government sending them to concentration camp or even Auschwitz camp and be terminated? But the fact is, even when the line of people walking slowly in the dark, sad from the video, but from the audio they are joking with the medical staffs and there is smile and laugh. Because they understand this is temporary hardship and this is for common good. And they are willing to sacrifice their individuality for the good of the large. I find this to be noble and shining of the humanity.

And judging by Whole China thinking "inside the box" and running free from COVID (the only country in the world) since May or June of last year (there are sporadic cases to be exact, but neglectable), do you still believe that our thinking "outside of box", unwilling to even sacrifice temporarily our freedom (mask and travel and partying and gathering) and result in the COVID running everywhere with no end in sight, and our government's continuous struggle to try to eradicate the disease without major success is a better choice because we "preserved" our freedom and individuality during the pandemic? I find this to be anti science and selfish and shortsighted and inhumane. Did you see the video of a march in a mall where mask protestors shouted: "we are willing to die, everyone die!", and one lady was furious, "You asshole, My father is in hospital because of Covid!" And the guy's response was "Well, you father will eventually die." In this case, it's not just inhumane, it's evil, evil in the name of individuality and freedom.

Once again, I believe China did not do a good job containing the disease at the beginning when cases showed up in Wuhan in January 2020, but through the collective sacrifice of Chinese people and their government's decisive action, they are free of the Covid since May or June, 2020. And their misjudgment is somehow understandable since nobody, nobody know fully the extend of the disease at the beginning. Just think about how much misinformation US government doll out after March 2020, when the disease's damage had laid bare in front of our eyes.

OK, I will stop now and will not continue this topic, since as one said above, Elon and Tesla is doing well adapting to different culture and that's what matters, and I feel like I said too much already and don't want to turn this into a culture debate. I don't believe in fighting with every disagreement with long posts. A lot of times listening and thinking about others opinion is more helpful than just stick with my own belief and trying to jam it down others with long post.

Last edited:
#2- how dare you have vacations!

Your description of your lifestyle as it relates to environmental impact matches mine almost to a T with two differences (i) my apartment is 900 sq. ft and (ii) I drive 200 miles a week (in an EV :)) - the guilt of which is somewhat assuaged by the fact that the driving is for a good purpose.

The reason I bring this up is that a website that calculates a person’s environmental impact based on answers to a list of questions about the individual’s lifestyle estimated that if everybody in the world lived like me, it would take 3.6 earths’ worth of resources to make my lifestyle be sustainable. This was about two years back. I do not know how the growth in renewable energy changes that stat but I was surprised and not a bit disheartened by that revelation since I have very little fat to cut in my energy consumption pattern currently. I realized then how challenging a problem climate change is.