Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if solar will help if the panels are covered in snow. Guess one can climb up on the roof and fix the situation and at least provide people with an option.
upload_2021-2-15_21-26-19.png
upload_2021-2-15_21-26-19.png

I’m guessing many Texans (and others) will be looking into solar & powerwall after this extended power outage in freezing temps.
Yep, sounds like a complete breakdown of the energy production infrastructure. I’ve read about frozen natural gas valves, frozen wind turbines and even a nuke went off-line. We’ll see what we learn after the thaw.

Yep, sounds like a complete breakdown of the energy production infrastructure. I’ve read about frozen natural gas valves, frozen wind turbines and even a nuke went off-line. We’ll see what we learn after the thaw.

Massive Texas gas failure during climate extremes gets blamed on wind power

This article notes around 4MW of wind affected by icing but around 27GW of thermal infrastructure offline mainly due to gas supply issues. So thats about half of the ERCOT gas fleet and 30% of total capacity offline. Unfortunately as the article points out, much of the initial and loudest blame for outages gets put onto renewables.

If you look at Tesla’s 50% growth rate guidance averaged over “several years”, you get pretty close to Elon’s goal of 20m vehicles per year by 2030. Obviously in some years they will do more than 50% or less based on timing of new factories etc. but it gives a decent projection out to the eventual 2030 goal, and moves them further away from being pressured to hit quarterly or annual delivery targets with the end of quarter pushes, which can only be a good thing going forward.

2020 - 500k
2021 - 750k
2022 - 1.13m
2023 - 1.69m
2024 - 2.53m
2025 - 3.80m
2026 - 5.70m
2027 - 8.54m
2028 - 12.8m
2029 - 19.2m

Not sure if solar will help if the panels are covered in snow. Guess one can climb up on the roof and fix the situation and at least provide people with an option.
Once the snow is off the panels (helped by the incline) they may really perform well. Cold is good for the production and so does surrounding snow. We had snow here last week, and Saturday was a sunny day and my panels produced 9.1 kWh, where a good summer’s does about 12.5 kWh. That is amazing for February.

If you look at Tesla’s 50% growth rate guidance averaged over “several years”, you get pretty close to Elon’s goal of 20m vehicles per year by 2030. Obviously in some years they will do more than 50% or less based on timing of new factories etc. but it gives a decent projection out to the eventual 2030 goal, and moves them further away from being pressured to hit quarterly or annual delivery targets with the end of quarter pushes, which can only be a good thing going forward.

2020 - 500k
2021 - 750k
2022 - 1.13m
2023 - 1.69m
2024 - 2.53m
2025 - 3.80m
2026 - 5.70m
2027 - 8.54m
2028 - 12.8m
2029 - 19.2m

Yes, +/- 2 weeks (in case it snows in Texas). :p

Michael Bury Head in Sand.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Barron's . What Is Berkshire Hathaway’s Mystery Stock? Big Investment by Warren Buffett Could Be Disclosed Tomorrow | 13 hours ago

"What is the Berkshire Hathaway mystery stock?

"Warren Buffett’s conglomerate could reveal that equity holding when it discloses its stock investments as of Dec. 31, 2020 on a securities filing expected late Tuesday.

Speculation is that it could be Walt Disney (ticker: DIS), PayPal Holdings (PYPL), Alphabet (GOOGL), Home Depot (HD), Exxon Mobil (XOM), or Chevron (CVX).

"When it released its most recent quarterly filing in mid-November for about $250 billion of equity holdings, Berkshire (BRK.B) said that it had made a confidential filing for unnamed investments, stating “Confidential information has been omitted from the public Form 13F report and filed separately with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.”​

View attachment 637136

Cheers!

Nah. It's Dogecoin.

So everyday they are closed down completely is I'm guessing a days production of say 1500 cars in this building that is lost when opening a day later than if they are not losing that day.

1500 x $50k = $75 million lost revenue. For being closed one day.

Snow is expensive.
How many times has the S curve been discussed on this thread? Day one of production GF Texas is producing a few dozen cars, possibly a few hundred in the first week at most to test out the production line. Sure, at full production sometime in late 2022 or early 2023 when production will be at full speed this will translate to your figure, however a day or even week delay in starting production due to inclement weather will have a negligible effect to Tesla's 2021 revenue.
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 6.15.55 AM.png

So everyday they are closed down completely is I'm guessing a days production of say 1500 cars in this building that is lost when opening a day later than if they are not losing that day.

1500 x $50k = $75 million lost revenue. For being closed one day.

Snow is expensive.
Giga Texas is closed since they announced it on July 22nd 2020.

So that makes a total loss of 1500 x $50k x 209 days = 15 000 000 000 $
Tesla should be bankrupt :D:oops:

:p

2020 - 500k
2021 - 750k
2022 - 1.13m
2023 - 1.69m
2024 - 2.53m
2025 - 3.80m
2026 - 5.70m
2027 - 8.54m
2028 - 12.8m
2029 - 19.2m

When I first looked at the numbers I thought it was the projected amount of growth for a 500k investment in TSLA today

;)

I don't know why folks are so concerned about a couple of days of delay at GF Austin. Tesla just secured a gazillion new customers across a huge swath of the south for distributed energy products and a future Tesla HVAC system.

As a native Minnesotan I usually wouldn't be able to resist the urge to ridicule Texans at a time like this, but whenever I think about it I can't help get distracted by all the $$$$$ signs that pop into my eyes.