Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is TSLA so heavily traded in pre-market? I don’t see other stocks being traded that much, is it easier to manipulate the stock price? Can shorting be done in pre-market?

I’m not liking what I’m seeing lately. It’s been huge drops in pre-market followed by steep cliffs once the market opens. Sometimes TSLA down heavy in pre-market even with NASDAQ futures in the green.

And, no news whatsoever, this is pure macro related.

Tech, EV, renewables, all getting hammered in my watchlist. It's not $TSLA-specific, but I'm sure as hell that Shorty is magnifying the damage

Going to be one hell of a reversal though! :D

This is something like the 10th “rotation out of tech” so far this year. Maybe this will be the “big one” or maybe it will be like all the others and reverse itself quickly, to new highs. Impossible to predict short term moves.

There are likely going to be many more such volatile moves in tech stocks, and here’s why: there are two conflicting things that are becoming increasingly evident to many investors: First, that the p/e’s of tech stocks are very high, and second that tech companies are going to experience substantial growth in the coming decade.

With p/e’s this high, the weak hands are going to fold every time there is the slightest correction. But my money is on p/e’s going even higher in the years ahead as tech companies reap more of what they’ve been sowing. Where else can you invest your money if you are looking for growth?

I’m a buyer on big dips. And I keep some powder for even bigger dips.

I think people see COVID numbers heading in the right direction. Tech stocks were a safe place to put your money during the pandemic. Now people are moving things out of tech and into recovery stocks. Airlines, hotels, theaters. All these stocks are up.

Yep thats it!

I sold 1,000 TSLA shares between $650-$900. I am now starting to buy them back. Will buy big time today at these levels. I have a few hundred thousand dollars in reserve as I thought this might happen...

A lot of tech stocks are completely overheated. If tesla really is going to grow 50% yoy (which is the goal) then actually its pretty fairly priced and very cheap if we price in anything regarding autonomous driving.

If Amazon goes below $3,000 it will be an absolute bargain. People all over the world have been changing their habits to buy most things online via Amazon. They've still got plenty of growth to come, so I will be loading up there too

One needs to sell to the sleeping point. Are you sleeping well?
Have you learned from the past? What lessons have you learned? The great gains I gave up on in other great companies selling during panics serve as a great anchor.
Do you want to whine and blame others like GB? Grow up accept responsibility and ownership.
Kill your gurus, they will fail you at some point.
Lean into the pain and let it teach you.
Understand risk of ruin in the market.

I normally total up assets each month. Last year there were a couple months that paying to close to assets would have hurt viscerally so I did not. Instead I stuck my head in the sand. It worked out okay. Likely do the same this month.

Having a well thought out financial plan helps.

Move I am considering: Roth conversions!

Has anything changed with the overall TSLA story? They are great cars. The are closer to FSD. Once they have enough batteries the trucks will be unleashed. The batteries might not be in bulk production yet but they are working on them and TSLA has engineered results before. They seem to offer great grid tied energy solutions for the future.

Give the bears their due. This round goes to them. People that sold out showed luck or great timing.

My money is on my jockey, the team in my corner of the ring, the fighting QB that outworks and outfights every naysayer. The team with great BASM. A CANSLIM to teach all.

But if your emotions are all tied up, your options under water, your margin calls coming in, you are not sleeping, well then there is an easy solution. The physical and emotional relief will be instant. The regret might be forever.

Example for my life: Netflix about 2007.

nflx.PNG

Tesla often said to have competition from VW - evidence to contrary - discounts are HIGHER than ICE from VW.

When Tesla opens Berlin, I think sales will be huge, VW ICE will be hugely affected (EV attitudes seem to be changing for the better in Germany)

Info from DriveTheDeal - dealers submit offers

1 ID4 (brand new model in UK AFAIK - should be huge demand)
upload_2021-2-23_11-12-43.png

2 ID3
upload_2021-2-23_11-10-29.png

I'm buying $TSLA @420,69.....:p:cool:.. again :D

Who the hell is panicking?

In March/April, we'll have a tsunami of billions of $$$ in stimulus hitting the market, a recovering economy, EV incentives, electric grid upgrade plans, factories finishing,...

Let the fire cool down a bit...

Trump was putting oil on this bull-run for years
Within weeks, we'll have Biden ready with a hydrogen bomb to light up the stock market. ( :D:eek:)

Tesla is loaded with cash, debt is shrinking, revenue is growing, building new factories and on the brink of flooding the market with state-of-the-art cheap 4680 cells next year.
Stay focused. Don't sell anything, open up your wallets and buy the dip!!!

Last edited:
I tried to time the market a couple of times since post S & P addition because I thought something like this was certain to happen. Have seen it too many times over the years.

About the only thing that has worked out well was the covered calls I sold. Even these I sold too early as most of them were sold in the 700s. Certainly didn’t expect TSLA to blow through and touch 900 after S & P. Believed it should take a break for a while in the 600 to 700 range.

Well, TSLA is an extreme stock and behaves accordingly.

Where does this stop?

Not isolated to TSLA obviously. All things renewable are getting hammered. But I do believe we are at a point now where to buy with a five year horizon will work out well, if not spectacularly so.

Oh, you want to know about options? Heheh.... don’t use margin. They are already leveraged.

This appears more of a rotation than an across the board sell off. A sell off may still be in the works. I doubt it but major players are definitely making money here. Momentum works in both directions....

• Informative
Reactions: capster and JustMe
I'm now selling other stocks to buy more Tesla. I've put in 2 buy orders premarket which should execute immediately but they aren't. I think it might be because my brokerage account can't trade till 12 oclock GMT. Will know in 10 mins. This is exciting. I like days like this :)

Result! Executed @ 676. Obviously the premarket session for my broker does indeed open at 12pm GMT. This is like the Boxing day sales!

Hard for me to swallow that big benchmarks would not be buying below 695. Remember boys and girls, if they get any little extra before 695, they can beat the market. Now apply game theory to so many benchmark funds and it is easy to see that TSLA cannot spend too much time below 695

Imagine a big umbrella that opened up at 695, would you really bother to open up your small umbrella below 695??

Hard for me to swallow that big benchmarks would not be buying below 695. Remember boys and girls, if they get any little extra before 695, they can beat the market. Now apply game theory to so many benchmark funds and it is easy to see that TSLA cannot spend too much time below 695

Imagine a big umbrella that opened up at 695, would you really bother to open up your small umbrella below 695??

These folks normally buy in main-market, no?

just want to remind everyone there was a day like 6 months ago when tsla was down 20% premarket when it didnt get added to the s and p 500 on a friday
Yup, Fri Sep 4, 2020 at 5:15 pm (S&P DJI) released the infamous "Etsy Update": :p

TSLA.2020-09-04.17-15.NoSPY.png

Then the "S&P Drop" continued in the pre-Market on Mon, Sep 7, 2020:

TSLA.2020-09-07.09-30.png

23% drop total by EoD on Monday: "This too shall pass"... :)

Cheers!

Last edited: