Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is from Jessie Livermore’s book, I think.

Jesse Lauriston Livermore - Wikipedia

I'm not sure about the wisdom of emulating an investor who committed suicide after going from being one of the wealthiest people in the world to being in debt with a negative net worth.

It is important to invest in individual stocks with conviction. If you let stuff ride one can get sloppy on conviction.

I agree it's important to remain vigilant as an investor, but that shouldn't require the liquidation of good investments to realize that goal. If it does, it's probably a good idea to let someone else manage your investments. ;)

I'm not sure about the wisdom of emulating an investor who committed suicide after going from being one of the wealthiest people in the world to being in debt with a negative net worth.

I wouldn't emulate the entire guy, but there are probably some learnings from the book. Even if you takeawayfrom the book, the history itself is fascinating to me.

Reactions: saniflash
[snip]
Lucid has ZERO excuses for missing deadlines, for being over budget, for getting anything wrong. They’ve consciously presented themselves as better than including that lovely little luxury chart you posted for us, have all sorts of Tesla employees who’ve done this before, bags full of money, EV supply chains, PR, etc...

No sir, they don’t get an almost nothing burger pass.
Well, just wait until their first investor meeting, and the dreaded PETA lady shows up. Leather covered shifter knob? Have you seen their beautifully crafted, enveloping, hand stitched Napa leather seats?

This is Tesla related now with Bitcoin as its something I've been tracking for awhile. Here are my thoughts:

DTCC Proposes Approach to Shortening U.S. Settlement Cycle to T+1 Within 2 Years | DTCC

Couple of quotes, but this one is the biggest clue:

"A move to T+0 would likely require the development of a real-time reconciliation process and real-time stock records to help comply with regulations."

In a resilient world, we need fast/transparent/easy ways to propel companies to solve problems + innovate quicker and safely. If you really look at things:

- AI
- Blockchain
- Clean Energy

It's easy to paint a picture where investment is the primary way to, much to its roots, to propel company market cap in order to fund growth in a need-resiliency world (thus, enabling cap raises as needed by co's in the public markets). If AI, Obama and many have mentioned this a lot years ago, enables job displacement and greater profit margins, then those are taxed by the govt and moved to citizens, en masse, via UBI. In turn, blockchain enables better transparency + efficiency in fin services...and investment by "popularity" is key to keep businesses sustainable and, hopefully, growing. So, Robinhood...and other brokerages...

Finally, Batteries/solar/wind enables limitless energy consumption, that's clean, by these systems. It's our infrastructure we're re-doing with better underlying technologies. We're not hampered anymore by our infrastructure based on old fossil fuels.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Tesla related now with Bitcoin as its something I've been tracking for awhile. Here are my thoughts:

DTCC Proposes Approach to Shortening U.S. Settlement Cycle to T+1 Within 2 Years | DTCC

Couple of quotes, but this one is the biggest clue:

"A move to T+0 would likely require the development of a real-time reconciliation process and real-time stock records to help comply with regulations."

In a resilient world, we need fast/transparent/easy ways to propel companies to solve problems + innovate quicker and safely. If you really look at things:

- AI
- Blockchain
- Clean Energy

It's easy to paint a picture where investment is the primary way to, much to its roots, to propel company market cap in order to fund growth in a need-resiliency world (thus, enabling cap raises as needed by co's in the public markets). If AI, Obama and many have mentioned this a lot years ago, enables job displacement and greater profit margins, then those are taxed by the govt and moved to citizens, en masse, via UBI. In turn, blockchain enables better transparency + efficiency in fin services...and investment by "popularity" is key to keep businesses sustainable and, hopefully, growing. So, Robinhood...and other brokerages...

Finally, Batteries/solar/wind enables limitless energy consumption, that's clean, by these systems. It's our infrastructure we're re-doing with better underlying technologies. We're not hampered anymore by our infrastructure based on old fossil fuels.

My 2 cents.

Lol, from your lips to Mod's ears... ;)

Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit".

Thank-you

Currently, I'm 95% in TSLA, 5% cash.

Want to get into ARK for a bit of diversification into areas I find interesting but don't have time to really follow. So why not use Cathie Wood's remarkable resources to profit there too?[/QUOTE
Buying ARK with Tesla in the fund.

I see what you did there.

The word you are looking for is “concentration” and not diversification.

• Funny
Reactions: saniflash
I'm learning about the bond market at the moment. Can someone explain if it's a good idea to purchase 10 year treasuries right now?

Sure, if you would like an annual 1.4% return for the next ten years.

While rates could go down and the face value of the bond could increase, the opposite could happen as well. The volatility is glacial in comparison to the market and stocks like TSLA.

Usually people buy bonds like this when they have a lot of money and want 'guaranteed' returns or are extremely conservative.

Financial advisers always advocate that you keep a certain percentage in bonds based on your age. They would also advocate that you stay away from stocks like TSLA in anything but minuscule 'speculative' amounts. Or at least they did up until like three months ago.

Sure, if you would like an annual 1.4% return for the next ten years.

While rates could go down and the face value of the bond could increase, the opposite could happen as well. The volatility is glacial in comparison to the market and stocks like TSLA.

Usually people buy bonds like this when they have a lot of money and want 'guaranteed' returns or are extremely conservative.

Financial advisers always advocate that you keep a certain percentage in bonds based on your age. They would also advocate that you stay away from stocks like TSLA in anything but minuscule 'speculative' amounts. Or at least they did up until like three months ago.

1.4% boosted by bond value appreciation I guess. I've been looking into corpo bonds and real estate as well. Lock away enough to ensure the kids can go to any community college they want.