Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, but no one will buy the high end cars, right, because Gordon and the other demand trolls tell me there’s a demand problem.

(VOICEOVER: There’s no demand problem and never has been.)
It might be interesting to predict when or what conditions would cause a demand problem.

Largely, I think it is futile to think that could happen in the foreseeable future due to the following:

1. Tesla will continue to push the triangle from all sides; Innovation, Resource reduction, Speed improvements. Thus rendering them untouchable on a level playing field
2. The Tesla vision does not allow them to push at a pace that allows contentment or fear of failure
3. Tesla wants competition as they know they cannot obtain 100% market share, but wants the competition anyway as it only makes them want market share more.

The flip side is that I want more disruption, I want another company to come up with better engineering, better vision, more focus on making crazy fun, amazing products that keep us from completing the stupidest planetary experiment ever. Why? I dunno, maybe it would be cool to have a choice of what product to buy. Right now, there is no choice for the informed buyer.

By “shoved downward” you mean foreign investors are buying US debt?

It refers to the actions of non-US and US traders using the Tokyo exchange tonight. It might imply more of a lack of significant interest tonight in selling US treasury securities, rather than a great interest in buying them. We may know better when there is more data released tomorrow.

We have no tapering in FED purchases and a shot economy. And yet, bond yields spike over fears of not just inflation, but rampant runaway inflation.

What is pissing off the bond market is a commitment to throwing cash around via 1.9 trillion stimulus to jump start economy. The direct $1400.00 payments is definitely rubbing bonds the wrong way. That and the possibility of a minimum wage increase. Because everyone knows it is the little people that cause inflation.

My questions: how many trillions lost due to this COVID nonsense? How many tens of millions of people cannot pay their rent in US alone? And how does a 1.9 trillion stimulus bill make up for it to the point of destroying the financial system from too much money sloshing around?

This is obviously temporary one way or another as continued spiking yields would crush economies worldwide and reverse the process, but I guess the bond market is happier with deflation than even a hint of inflation.

It already passed Senate, unless this is a separate 1.9T bill.
So if it passes in Congress tomorrow, it gets rubber stamped by the President - this could be our news tomorrow?
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Ok, you are wrong :)

From your link-

With the budget resolution nearly complete, Congress can turn in earnest to writing Biden’s expansive pandemic relief proposal into law — and push it through the Senate, without Republican votes if necessary, under the special rules unlocked by the budget legislation. That process will take weeks, with Democrats eyeing mid-March as the deadline for final passage of the relief legislation because that is when enhanced unemployment benefits will expire if Congress doesn’t act first.

The thing passed in your story is the budget bill that allows them to later pass a relief package via reconciliation.

It's not the actual package.

"A bill can be introduced in either chamber of Congress by a senator or representative who sponsors it."

It can- though all bills for raising revenue must start in the house.

(that said, courts tend to read that rule pretty narrowly.... and what the senate sometimes does is take some totally unrelated thing the house passed, gut it, and stick their own stuff in and pass THAT since it "originated" in the house)

Good example of that last thing here:
Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014 - Wikipedia

Reactions: S3XY
Poppycock! I’ve been told repeatedly over the last couple weeks that there is a demand problem! If it’s not true am I required to sell my demand shares? Anyone? What’s the rules on that?
Considering that your "buy every time someone says ‘there’s a demand problem’" appears to one of the best investment strategies that’s been discussed on this forum, I’d say you should continue to hodl.

Besides some birds are bound to come around parroting "demand problem, demand problem, shorty want a share, squawk!" again soon and for the foreseeable future.

In apparent response, US treasury rates are already being shoved downward by overseas markets. If that continues in US trading tomorrow, it could push upward the current discounted value of future earnings and hence current share prices for growth stocks like TSLA.

I don’t understand. There is an order of magnitude difference between Tesla growth and these minor interest rate changes.

Trust

EvEe8rUVkAA33h4

I don’t understand. There is an order of magnitude difference between Tesla growth and these minor interest rate changes.

TSLA is valued on assumed great growth for many years to come. Small adjustments of the interest rate factor used to discount the value of the future earnings stream, can greatly affect the current share price. Recently the up move in interest rates may have been the primary reason for this month's drops in the share prices of TSLA and other growth stocks.

I looked... it's fine.
Ok, you are wrong :)

From your link-

The thing passed in your story is the budget bill that allows them to later pass a relief package via reconciliation.

It's not the actual package.

It can- though all bills for raising revenue must start in the house.

(that said, courts tend to read that rule pretty narrowly.... and what the senate sometimes does is take some totally unrelated thing the house passed, gut it, and stick their own stuff in and pass THAT since it "originated" in the house)

Good example of that last thing here:
Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014 - Wikipedia
Thanks buddy. I was catching up on youtube, looks like maybe another week to go for the Senate.

We have no tapering in FED purchases and a shot economy. And yet, bond yields spike over fears of not just inflation, but rampant runaway inflation.

What is pissing off the bond market is a commitment to throwing cash around via 1.9 trillion stimulus to jump start economy. The direct $1400.00 payments is definitely rubbing bonds the wrong way. That and the possibility of a minimum wage increase. Because everyone knows it is the little people that cause inflation.

My questions: how many trillions lost due to this COVID nonsense? How many tens of millions of people cannot pay their rent in US alone? And how does a 1.9 trillion stimulus bill make up for it to the point of destroying the financial system from too much money sloshing around?

This is obviously temporary one way or another as continued spiking yields would crush economies worldwide and reverse the process, but I guess the bond market is happier with deflation than even a hint of inflation.

Agree, the bond market seems to be acting irrationally, although it is often given credit for being more insightful than equities markets.

Although stimulus bill is viewed as inflationary, there is historically high level of unemployment which will take years to reverse, and this would seem to provide a lot of slack to be taken up before inflation kicks in. Also, Powell has committed to not tapering easing program until at least 2023, yet bond market models are pricing in for Fed to start tapering by end of this year.

The 10-year rate is now pretty close to what it was pre-pandemic, and IMHO the bond market is overreacting.