Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekend but not quite OT, considering the recent part shortage impeding Tesla's production.

Fry's Electronics suddenly went out of business - CNN
New York (CNN Business)Fry's Electronics suddenly closed all of its stores overnight, ending a nearly four-decade run in business.

The company, which had 31 stores across nine US states, said in a statement on its website that it "made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently" because of changing consumer shopping habits and the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Based in San Jose, California, the privately held company was a family business. It was founded in 1985 by the three Fry brothers with the goal of being a "Silicon Valley retail electronics store to provide a one-stop-shopping environment for the Hi-Tech Professional."

IIRC one of these local outlets saved the day when Tesla was starting making Model S in 2012 and some simple USB contact was held up in customs for months because a genius opted to ship the items by container, and the same container happened to hold some completely unrelated goods that was deemed suspicious somehow and/or needed serious examination.

Tesla sent someone to the nearest Fry's (or maybe Best Buy) to pick up a number of those 25 cent parts in order to enable delivery of the same number of 100k new cars. Can't sell a car with even one part missing!

Logistics have improved since, I believe and hope!

(I even went there myself and nearly got lost inside the cavern. Fry's in Palo Alto I think.)

It’s interesting to read the following in our todays newspaper: “The mRNA vaccins of Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna are sometimes called the Tesla of the coronavaccins”.
We see more and more of these expressions, instead of the Latin ‘Primus inter parens’. It just shows how the perception about Tesla has become in the general public. And that bodes well for the future.
On a totally unrelated note: A friend of mine visited our local service center, and they told him that they expected deliveries of the new Model S in June, while the order form still says ‘September’. Did anybody hear similar rumors for delivery to Europe? Oh, and he said they already had a lot of orders for the new S.

It’s interesting to read the following in our todays newspaper: “The mRNA vaccins of Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna are sometimes called the Tesla of the coronavaccins”.
We see more and more of these expressions, instead of the Latin ‘Primus inter parens’. It just shows how the perception about Tesla has become in the general public. And that bodes well for the future.
On a totally unrelated note: A friend of mine visited our local service center, and they told him that they expected deliveries of the new Model S in June, while the order form still says ‘September’. Did anybody hear similar rumors for delivery to Europe? Oh, and he said they already had a lot of orders for the new S.
Could it be showroom vehicles and/or for testdriving or service training?

upload_2021-2-27_3-4-39.png

Three particular items Joe mentioned during the intro portion:

During a recent conference call, Elon said he wants additional 24/7 shifts to make up for time lost during the recent freeze.

There have been 12 design changes so far and more are in progress.

They planned on drilling 28,000 Geopier holes but will end up ~100,000 because of soil conditions.

The first 4 1/2 minutes are a must watch.

There is something important and often overlooked here:

Tesla is able to:

1) Make changes
2) Stay on schedule

This says that Tesla:

a) Starts with incomplete knowledge
b) Writes contracts, or chooses suppliers, such that changes do not become excuses for delay.

Most companies have divisions that are measured on schedule, with changes preset as an excuse to miss schedule or blow the budget in some non-linear way.

Tesla has value communication, structure and supplier selection tools that allow them to move about 2.5 times faster than their competition.

I do not think this difference is fully recognized in the price of the stock.

I did not understand the deflationary effect of debt on traditional suppliers. Time mark about 30 minutes+.

Is it because they have not invested in differentiated product and therefore have to lower prices to meet revenue, and service the debt?
Basically. Didn’t listen again, but my recollection was the “bad” deflation would come from displaced businesses that put their products on fire sale, cut dividends and cut employment as they went bankrupt.

You state you've never bought a call before, but the price of the Jan 22 $800 is low enough to temp you, but on the other hand you don't see the SP rising between now and the expiration date.

So why would you be looking to buy a call if that's your opinion? Doesn't make sense.
I assumed he left out the “not” on accident. What’s your latest best option purchase and at what price? Not looking for advice, just curious.

Last edited:
Get ready for a shocker....

Fisker Inc. has "completely dropped" solid-state batteries

Fisker Inc. has ‘completely dropped’ solid-state batteries

Henrik Fisker has abandoned his electric vehicle startup’s effort to create a solid-state battery, the Fisker Inc. founder told The Verge in a recent interview.
The startup plans to outsource nearly everything with its cars and will instead focus on design and customer relations.

This thing is painful to read.

Henrik Fisker has abandoned his electric vehicle startup’s effort to create a solid-state battery, the Fisker Inc. founder told The Verge in a recent interview.
The startup plans to outsource nearly everything with its cars and will instead focus on design and customer relations.

Sounds like Nikola has a new competitor for their "fully outsourced vertical integration" methodology.

At least they have designed an electric vehicle powertrain and battery pack. Unlike GM (Bolt) and Nikola.

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp

Painful for Fisker and for those who predicted them and their solid-state batteries to out-compete Tesla:
Fisker to Rival Tesla With Solid State Battery | BOSS Magazine
Tesla killer Fisker shoots for solid-state batteries in cars by 2023

I'm not buying the, "inflation is fine" story. Have you watched your food prices? Food has climbed for the past year in Phoenix. Fast food prices are rising now. Housing has gone full retard. I sold my house in April 2019 (put some of the equity into TSLA) and have been chasing a rising price point for a year while trying to buy another one. I sold mine for $285k. A comparable house is now $400k.

My search started at $250k and up last year. I just put an offer up to $550k on a house that sold for $330,000 in late 2016. A house lists for one weekend and has dozens of offers, waiving appraisal clause, and using escalation clauses to compete.

If serious inflation is kicking in, my plan is to hold most of my tsla (selling a bit for down payment) and get in a house with a set mortgage at a low rate.

Much of it is California money moving to AZ but I'm seeing rising prices all around.

Last edited:
I'm not buying the, "inflation is fine" story. Have you watched your food prices? Food has climbed for the past year in Phoenix. Fast food prices are rising now. Housing has gone full retard. I sold my house in April 2019 (put some of the equity into TSLA) and have been chasing a rising price point for a year while trying to buy another one. I sold mine for $285k. A compatible house is now $400k.

My search started at $250k and up last year. I just put an offer up to $550k on a house that sold for $330,000 in late 2016. A house lists for one weekend and has dozens of offers, waiving appraisal clause, and using escalation clauses to compete.

If serious inflation is kicking in, my plan is to hold most of my tsla (selling a bit for down payment) and get in a house with a set mortgage at a low rate.

Much of it is California money moving to AZ but I'm seeing rising prices all around.
Low interest rates have allowed people to buy more house than before.