Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the daily chart on TD Ameritrade there's a "phantom print" at 872 on yesterday's candle. It doesn't show up on any of the other timeframes (minute, hourly), nor do I see it on other platforms.

upload_2021-3-2_9-15-27.png

Back when I used to trade AAPL we'd keep track of how often the price ended up at the price the phantom bar showed (whether up or down), and really came to nothing more than the superstitious conclusion that phantom bars up were a portent of good things, and we didn't so much care for the down ones.

So if we're at 872 in a week, you'll know why. :rolleyes:

On the daily chart on TD Ameritrade there's a "phantom print" at 872 on yesterday's candle. It doesn't show up on any of the other timeframes (minute, hourly), nor do I see it on other platforms.

View attachment 641313

Back when I used to trade AAPL we'd keep track of how often the price ended up at the price the phantom bar showed (whether up or down), and really came to nothing more than the superstitious conclusion that phantom bars up were a portent of good things, and we didn't so much care for the down ones.

What are the reason for those phantom prints? Is somebody buying it in a liquidity constrained exchange and jacking up the prices momentarily??

As a HW2.5 EAP owner myself, I have been thinking about this issue. Certainly I would need an upgrade to 3 or maybe even 4 to get FSD, but what about the full-stack EAP features? With development seeming to concentrate on FSD, my smart summon feature and true navigate on autopilot without paying attention don’t seem likely without that same upgrade.

I paid for those features and will be unhappy if they do not keep pace as FSD solves these problems and is rolled out in wide release. I think Tesla will be decide to upgrade nav on autopilot to the latest hardware regardless of FSD purchase and will be happy with the monthly revenue to offset costs to do the swap.

EAP is feature-complete and has been since the release of smart summon.

Nav on AP was never promised to be L3 or better (no attention required) for EAP buyers- that was always FSD, at added cost.

Nothing in EAP requires more than HW2.x, but FSD stuff does (which is why FSD buyers got HW3 free and EAP buyers did not).

What are the reason for those phantom prints? Is somebody buying it in a liquidity constrained exchange and jacking up the prices momentarily??

Some of them are real trades reported from dark pools or "elsewhere", but they usually appear AH and at a reasonable price (i.e. the VWAP for the day or open/close price), not 10%+ higher. Sometimes they disappear shortly after showing up, so maybe a fat-finger entry error.

I think this one is just a glitch on TDA, as I very much doubt there was a trade at 872 yesterday, and it doesn't show up anywhere else.

Hopefully we get to that level again before too long, but TSLA is still underperforming the market as it has been of late (SPY is barely green, and TSLA down 1.3%).

• Informative
Reactions: amolina
Ok let’s try this again! There is no reason the markets can’t recover from this dip. Covid vaccine is racing, Biden’s plan hitting the senate. Rates are still low, feds view is still we are doing Ok.

I cannot believe we almost went under 700 again. Am I going to have to tour de Craigslist couch-a-thon?

the Dow ticker is a confused old man wandering the wrong isle in the wrong store

View attachment 641313

Tell me how phantom spikes can occur?

Ok let’s try this again! There is no reason the markets can’t recover from this dip. Covid vaccine is racing, Biden’s plan hitting the senate. Rates are still low, feds view is still we are doing Ok.

I cannot believe we almost went under 700 again. Am I going to have to tour de Craigslist couch-a-thon?

the Dow ticker is a confused old man wandering the wrong isle in the wrong store
I actually times something right for once and got some more at 704!

I think this one is just a glitch on TDA, as I very much doubt there was a trade at 872 yesterday, and it doesn't show up anywhere else.
Sure there could be a trade at that SP, if the holder of a Put Option chooses to execute their "in-the-money" option early. How much volume did the trade entail (ie: was it a multiple of 100 shares)?

Executing a Put early is generally a bullish sign, since it implies the Option holder believes they would lose money by continuing to hold further (either time value 'theta' or they believe the underlying SP is headed higher).

Cheers!

The market is too much in a defensive mode right now. Maybe we are in an ABC correction.

I am defensive as well. Looking for less risky places to park the majority of funds - open to suggestions if anyone has any. If not, I am moving somewhere warmer and opening up a dive bar or a hipster coffee shop. Maybe both at the same place.

• Funny
Reactions: capster