Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Positive PR is always a positive thing, but I think the reasons why people don't own Tesla's come down to:

* They can't afford it. Even Musk himself has acknowledged this.
* Tesla does not have sufficient vehicle variety to cover all the major segments. There needs to be a $25,000 vehicle and a minivan replacement. (The Model X does not satisfy in room or price)
* They are EV averse.
* They are irrational at selection of EV purchasing decisions. It makes NO sense to buy a Bolt with the Model 3 and Model Y is on the market.
* They are irrational about EV's in general. They worry about the time it takes to supercharge 3x a year, but forget about the full charges overnight.
* The average American is an idiot. Half of them are even more idiotic than that.
* They have wealthy envy. Someone who has more than you is reason enough to be hated.
* They can't afford the brand so irrationally hate it. Their opinion matters little. (Mainly directed to the Zoomers talking trash on Twitter)

2% automotive market share will grow alone just based on lowered cost of entry and adding vehicle classes.

I can't believe you need that many reasons why more people don't own a Tesla. Let me fix it for you: Tesla doesn't make enough of them. They sell everyone they make as soon as they can make it. More people wanting to own a Tesla does not equal more Tesla owners. Not even one more.

I agree with the previous contribution that suggested the PR can become a priority once production volume is high enough to require Tesla to have to actively promote their products. That day is likely a long way off because the cars keep getting better and more affordable.

*sigh*
My point was to illustrate the narrative of Tesla being larger than the next 10 automotive companies combined was not worth being playing with because Tesla was in fact close in value to Toyota. Which yes, your spreadsheet in my opinion proves is an accurate statement. When Tesla was 560-ish it was comparable to Toyota in enterprise value - at least by my standards. I don’t see why you felt the need to respond this way but thanks for making this place so fun. /s

So lets explore what you see as "comparable enterprise values" by your standards

The lowest EV for TSLA in the last month was 533.6B on Mar 8 2021
The same day EV for TM was 363.5B

So apparently an enterprise value 52% higher is comparable to you.

source:

I think the 6M chart shows it well enough but feel free to zoom out to 1 year if you like.

The last time TSLA's EV was less than TMs was on Sep 8 2020 and the last time I would have called it comparable was on Nov 16 2020 (when TSLA was 10% higher).

Basically TM has never been over 383B and TSLA has been over that for the last 3 months and is expected to keep growing.

Which is why I thought it odd for you to think they were even close in value or that TSLA had dropped below the value of TM any time recently.

You posted a link detailing market caps, not enterprise values. They are two different measures.

Market caps are calculated by multiplying share price by shares outstanding. That is it. Debt and liabilities are not included. All legacy OEMs have HUGE liabilities and debt. Market cap does not measure these. Enterprise value does.

That is a nice link, BTW.

Toyota, for example, has an current enterprise value of about 350B vs. their MC of 210B.

To be fair, most of the legacy OEM debt is in their finance units, which basically are bank like entities involved in finance for customers, so it makes sense they have huge debt loads like banks do. This is a very different type of debt than funds raised for operational/capex activity.

To be fair, most of the legacy OEM debt is in their finance units, which basically are bank like entities involved in finance for customers, so it makes sense they have huge debt loads like banks do. This is a very different type of debt than funds raised for operational/capex activity.
Different but a real liability, nonetheless.

Mama Cathie bought RBLX!?!?!. To be honest, I'm somewhat flumoxxored that it deserves a place next to TSLA for her disruptive innovation portfolios.

1615422145955.png

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper and AZRI11
Well over 25% of The cars on the road here in the bay area and in Lake Tahoe are teslas; so it’s better than 0% chance that any vehicle that makes the news is going to be a Tesla. Especially as they don’t pay to pandertise to the local broadcasters.
Good or bad. If it were a Ford, nobody would pay any attention to the brand. Tesla has got a special spotlight. Long term this is a good thing; not bad. And helps us to accumulate shares for a discount even today.
What are you actually trying to say? Maybe 2.5% rather than 25%? Like anywhere else, Teslas here in the Bay Area are a tiny percentage of the cars on the road. Just look around you. In the Tahoe area they are an even smaller percentage.

• Informative
Reactions: hacer