Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The larger issue for VAG is whether they can achieve OTA updates before Tesla can achieve OTW localized production. There's a big 1st mover advantage at stake, and 500K Models Y in 2022 will be just the opening move for Giga Berlin. Euro Model 2 will be the end of the line for many old, stories carmakers in Europe.

Will it really be the end though. Germany is the economic motor of the EU. Is it really possible to imagine VAG, Mercedes, BMW, Audi going out of business? "Too big to fail"?

The autonomy is the real competition killer here. Who on earth is going to want an old school car with no autonomy beyond adaptive cruise, lane keeping, and emergency collision avoidance when an equivalent Tesla can fully self drive and has a state of the art big screen entertainment package built in for similar money?

About the same number of people as those wanting a none smart phone!
I agree that it’s like the iPhone. We’re in that period where people just don’t realize it yet, but they won’t ever want to drive another car without FSD.

The counter argument to this is that people will need and want ars and Tesla can't grow fast enough to supply all the world's hunger for new cars even if they grow 50% year after year. And in that reality VAG and many other auto makers will survive the transition.
I don’t believe they will or that they can. At first thought that seems to make sense until you remember that most companies simply can’t digest big or rapid reductions of sales. And companies that run very close to the profit line even more so. Review every economic downturn and pandemic for reference.

The OEMs are going to have to repeatedly and aggressively downsize to stay in business. The smaller they get, the less they have the ability to offer a variety of vehicles and service them. How ironic if GM become a niche player. Justice would be served.

Just look at what we’re already seeing. Ford is fighting survival by dropping several lower margin and less popular models and sticking to trucks. A number of others are merging (repeatedly) to pool their resources.

One OEM just spent 50 billion to make large paperweights. One is pretending EVs are not the future. And a few of the middle men are hanging their hats on overpriced ‘luxury’ models per their usual m.o.

I’m not sure how it plays out, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t turn out like many think it will with endless bailouts and the likes of GM going all electric by ‘pick a nice round number’ and being recognizable.

So far the transition has been pretty non-dramatic for everyone except Tesla. Wait until the 💩 hits the fan. Get you garbage bag and front row 💺 while you can. Going to be epic.

Last edited:
The Model S Plaid+ is priced way too low for what it is, if you ask me. 500 mile range, all the utility of a station wagon, simply unmatched technology, and performance that outclasses million-dollar supercars. It's absurd.
Agreed priced way too low, but have been wondering since the announcement of the cybertruck, how is it possible to get the wedged shaped brick through the air with 500+ mile range and still have sports car acceleration and towing, with a price of 70-80k? What am i missing here? Is it just that they will have soo many batteries being made by the time the truck comes out, that the price of the batteries drops significantly-- 25 to 50%?

The larger issue for VAG is whether they can achieve OTA updates before Tesla can achieve OTW localized production. There's a big 1st mover advantage at stake, and 500K Models Y in 2022 will be just the opening move for Giga Berlin. Euro Model 2 will be the end of the line for many old, stories carmakers in Europe.

Hey, Dodger - congratulations on earning 100,000 reaction score. Well deserved. That’s got to be worth an Elon Musk bobble head or something

Will it really be the end though. Germany is the economic motor of the EU. Is it really possible to imagine VAG, Mercedes, BMW, Audi going out of business? "Too big to fail"?
First Tesla will get the most of the profits in the market. By selling great cars at a profit. The others sell cars with various strengths making some people prefer them. Such as different design, familiar VW buttons, lower price if they can manage.

But they will sell at loss. So at some point they have to scale down research. And focus on fewer models. This will lead to lower sales. And all this while paying down old debts and pensions.

If they cannot turn this around and start selling with a profit it will be difficult. Perhaps Germany will help them. Perhaps other people come together to start a new company only making EVs and letting the fossils go bankrupt. Who knows. Whatever happens I hope others EV manufacturers survive and grow. That is what our planet needs.

Well... the only thing that concerns politicians is jobs. Because Companies won't elect them - people do.
So .. if people can "just switch" or "be retrained by government subsidies" then you could imagine those manufacturers to go out of business. If they have no alternative then most politicians would lobby hard for subsidies to keep those on life-support until they can get their *sugar* together - or until those subsidised are impacting the governmental balance sheet in a meaningful way...

Politicians in the EU are just concerned with people being employed in decent jobs - because most of the salary pays for the whole social system (i.e.: when i get "payed" 4000€/month i only recieve 2600. And my employer has to pay another ~700 buck not even mentioned to me. So about ~50% of every fulltime-employees salary go to to the state (or state-like institutions) for things like welfare-housing, heathcare, unemployment, etc. pp. - on the other hand i can just go to a doc, have a complicated medical procedure and pay exactly 0€ for it.).
So closing down many many jobs can boil up to a complete sociatal problem. But if they can get employed elsewhere in little time: well.. what sholud a politican care? ;)

I don't use Twitter all that much but accidentally got pulled into some arguments with the TSLAQ crowd. I'm always amazed at just how scummy and conspiracy focused they are. Makes me wonder what it is about Tesla that attracts those sorts.

Today is going to be a great day in the markets.

Poor Gordo must have got his mind blown when he read price increases. How will he twist it....that’s the question
TSLAQ thinks that this proves the demand problem. They are raising prices because of the chip shortage and I guess they think that shows they couldn't raise them normally and therefore demand problem. This is what he will say, bet on it.

It will likely be the end as we know them. My guess is that we will see spin offs of various divisions as shareholders start to stress the divestiture of the distressed divisions of these behemoths.