Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gordon Johnson told me that the Fremont fire was clearly caused by a lack of demand.
Here's what I picture when I think of GJs comments:
cherrypicking.png

Inexplicably, you think that Tesla should spend their money to create additional demand they can't meet. It makes no sense.
Nope, never said that. I said the general public doesn't know or understand Tesla service because they are not educated and it'll cost Tesla a lot of dollars to get the population informed(never said they should, just said this is the reason why people are NOT informed). All they know is you can't get your EV fixed anywhere else besides a Tesla service center which is not exactly everywhere. But a Pep boys or Mike's auto shop is everywhere, usually within a few miles. Besides charging, service is the second most talked about reason why EV is not yet ready for prime time.

Reactions: Drumheller
It sounds wrong, but...

I am starting to think of Tesla as an "international company". The cars made in China are MIC M3 and MY, the CT will be a "Texas made" truck, and Germany will have MiG MY and M3. EU customers, even Germans (I hope.), will accept the cars as German, or European. Chinese customers will see MIC M3 and MY as Chinese. This is simply brilliant although it probably is a result of a practical matter of choosing to build the factory where it's needed.

Creating design centers in China and Germany hints that this is intentional. Something about it seems very elegant and logical.

Analysis thread on fire:
One person on twitter says his father works with similar machines. Seems to think it'll likely be back up and running by end of night.

"My dad works in metallurgy and has worked with press machines similar to this before. 'Looks like steam or water vapor. Anything of substance would be black smoke. Could be hydraulic hose leaked on something hot. Nothing serious. Better safe than sorry.' "

"Considering black smoke at beginning, definitely metal on metal overheating leading to black smoke. Could’ve been a number of things, most commonly a failed cooling or press got caught and wasn’t able to abort prior to cast overheating."

Says they used sand to put out the fires because they likely didn't have the foam on hand which is what caused all the smoldering.

EDIT: Most recent tweet includes comment from Freemont Fire Department, "The cause of the fire is molten aluminum and hydraulic fluid. Hydraulic fluid was identified as the source of the fire." -
Bid and ask in the very small early morning trades in Germany are unaffected, 583 Euro is just under 700$.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-12_07-24-25.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-12_07-24-25.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 46
It sounds wrong, but...

I am starting to think of Tesla as an "international company". The cars made in China are MIC M3 and MY, the CT will be a "Texas made" truck, and Germany will have MiG MY and M3. EU customers, even Germans (I hope.), will accept the cars as German, or European. Chinese customers will see MIC M3 and MY as Chinese. This is simply brilliant although it probably is a result of a practical matter of choosing to build the factory where it's needed.

Creating design centers in China and Germany hints that this is intentional. Something about it seems very elegant and logical.
When Musk is in America, he's American. When he's in China, he's Chinese. When he's in Germany, ich bin Berliner.

This is the way.

Musk calling himself African-Martian however would be awesome.

Fire isn't going to do anything. Bond rates however are still being annoying this pm.

Sit tight.. people will get tired jumping at every .01 raise in Bonds. If the graph was linear, we can expect TSLA price to be $5 when Treasury Yields hit 3.4%.

Nope, never said that. I said the general public doesn't know or understand Tesla service because they are not educated and it'll cost Tesla a lot of dollars to get the population informed(never said they should, just said this is the reason why people are NOT informed).

Well, you have argued many times that Tesla should spend more money on advertising and now you are acting like the lack of awareness of Tesla's service network is a problem. When it's not. And you know why it's not a problem (they sell every car they make).

All they know is you can't get your EV fixed anywhere else besides a Tesla service center which is not exactly everywhere. But a Pep boys or Mike's auto shop is everywhere, usually within a few miles. Besides charging, service is the second most talked about reason why EV is not yet ready for prime time.
Believing that lack of knowledge about Tesla's service network is holding back Tesla sales is the same thing as believing there is a lack of demand. It sounds to me like you are buying the FUDster's arguments hook, line and sinker.

Just like those who say Elon should stop tweeting are falling right into the hands of the FUDsters and short-sellers that desperately want Elon to stop using Twitter to continue building brand awareness at zero cost.

Tesla has more than enough customers for every car they build, that's all the proof you need that they don't need to spend time and money to educate the public about their expanding service network.

Nope, never said that. I said the general public doesn't know or understand Tesla service because they are not educated and it'll cost Tesla a lot of dollars to get the population informed(never said they should, just said this is the reason why people are NOT informed). All they know is you can't get your EV fixed anywhere else besides a Tesla service center which is not exactly everywhere. But a Pep boys or Mike's auto shop is everywhere, usually within a few miles. Besides charging, service is the second most talked about reason why EV is not yet ready for prime time.

But since neither charging or "lack of servicability" are actual problems, who cares if they are "talked about"? Does Tesla have a demand problem? Not the last time I checked.

When Musk is in America, he's American. When he's in China, he's Chinese. When he's in Germany, ich bin Berliner.

This is the way.

Musk calling himself African-Martian however would be awesome.

Sit tight.. people will get tired jumping at every .01 raise in Bonds. If the graph was linear, we can expect TSLA price to be $5 when Treasury Yields hit 3.4%.
Agree.
Tapping into Chinese pride about manufacturing quality: This is perhaps a 4 decade long struggle for respect and recognition among the leading nations of the world. Apple iPhones went a long way, but china-built Teslas, made buy the Great Engineer Elon, doing space exploration on the level of nations - that is another level entirely.
That is something that engineers and line workers alike take immense pride in. Add to that Chinese built Teslas being exported to the, sometimes, a bit haughty Europeans and you have an emotional slam dunk.

Tapping into German pride about really complex machinery (and industrial automation), where the combination of theory and craft is practiced at the highest level, also 'gefundeness fressen'.

And in both places, having local design teams to do the necessary adaptions and/or wholly new product design is great too: That will allow the new or adapted product with the deep cultural background and thus intimately familiar with priorities and sensibilities of customers.
Which again will trigger recognition in the local populace who will then feel that the product is not really foreign, but feels like a kind of home-team. Which will allay the worst protectionist instincts. Or at least reduce them somewhat.

Elon knows how to motivate and make great products.

It sounds wrong, but...

My M3 for sure feels more like a car-of-the-world as opposed to 'murican muscle.

Reactions: carterm2
When I bought my model WS i would have to drive it london for a service (100 miles) then later they opened a service center near me (40 miles) now a local body shop is tesla certified (8 miles).
I don't think distance to service centers is an issue. And actually...I've owned my model S 5 years and got it serviced twice. Thats not exactly a lot. I also got door handles fixed (they picked up then returned) and got a new upgraded MCU (my choice).
If this was a petrol car I'd have 4x the service visits and likely 4x the cost.

Here in the Uk the #1 reason tesla dont sell more is price. The #2 reason is lack of charging infrastructure for people without dedicated parking.
Of course they still sell every car they make, lots of wealthy BMW owners can be converted before they need to worry about #1 or #2.

Currently I'm the only Tesla owner in my village, but at least 15 people here could afford one. Once 10 of them own them, I'll worry about demand. (FWIW 1 is VERY interested but lazy, 1 wants a truck but hates the cyber design and will get a rivian, Another was amazed to hear about the range, but has no parking for their london home).

IMPORTANT!! IMPORTANT!!

I do not have time to check if this has been posted, but these 2 articles can save your life. The bulletproof CyberTruck can power a tiny house and a Model 3 foils carjacker attempt allows owner to drive away. Please read at least 2 times slowly to understand all of the possibilities

1) The Tesla door handle design prevents the opportunistic carjacker from opening the door easily. Its external camera system records 10 minutes before an accident happens or a thief try to steal/carjack with all hi-res pictures for reporting to police. There are hi-res pictures to identify the carjacker

Tesla foils carjacker attempt, Navy officer says

2) The bulletproof CyberTruck with its sleek steel body can protect you in a hurricane/Twister…, including a 240v outlet, which could be used to charge another EV, run heavy-duty power tools, or even power a small house or partially power a larger home.

Think about if you lost power for 4 days in Houston, a rolling black out in California, a snow blizzard that make trees fallen on power lines in NorthEastern states.

I do not need to say more about other situation, think about it yourselves

Elon Musk Says Tesla Cybertruck Can Power A Tiny House

Enjoy the reading, Nasdaq and Dow Jones future is up, we might have another up day. Cheers

#2 is why I ordered the truck right away. The days long power outages on the are Cape ridiculous. Another plus is being able to drive from house to house to power up the refrigerators for a couple hours, saving the owner's tons of money.

Last edited:
I expect France/Germany to make EU wide laws to hamper Tesla, if necessary, to protect Renault, Stellantis, VW, MB ,and BMW.

Tesla can go outside EU to build cars to import into the EU but that means a 10% tariff. Or higher.

I don't think so. Europe is much more dense than USA (although USA has dense megacities). Pollution is becoming a major concern, linked to covid, poverty, different outcomes for different groups. EU needs Tesla for fighting pollution. Germany wants Tesla instead of another EU country. EU is a very rules/data based organisation, much less special interests (IMO) than most countries & certainly USA. So I expect no major problems even with FSD once data is out

Look at pollution vs covid in Northern Italy & elsewhere - major overlap. Outcry in UK over 9 year old dying from asthma & years long fight for justice.