Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sued by an investor. Anyone can buy one share of Tesla and sue. Could be Exxon or Bill Gates! Who knows.

If they were smart ambulance chasers, they would buy as many shares as they could afford. That way they will look more credible and could probably pay all their legal fees with the appreciation of the share price- and have money left over to burn!

Why not go the next step - get a core group of experts together and create a couple of TMC funds - tax exempt/ taxable, membership initially restricted to TMC or approved members, limits on amount invested/ number of redemptions per period, maybe depending on funders, mostly to avoid being manipulated by special interests-.

Some current or past TMC members may already be into this in some form. Would save me the time/ trouble of fully following all TSLA related things.
Part of that invested fund could be used for a few anti FUD ads, which if that TMC fund goes well should also help that fund as it opens to the public.
I thought about that ... But financial laws are stupid. You need a lot of expensive paper to show "you know what you do" (even if you don't .. paying for your papers is enough)..
in 2020 i had a performance of +2500% due to teslas rise. Currently i am at +20% YTD (while tesla is at the price of 1.1. ;) ). I want to share that but i can't.
As soon as a third party can invest/uninvest dynamically you get into compliance-hell.
If everyone just throws money into a pot that gets "managed" then it is a bit simpler - but if you allow people to join/leave afterwards (instead of just recieving dividends) then .. compliance hell again.

In germany it is even critical to talk about that in the wrong way.. and no .. a "not an advisor. do your own dd" is not enough.... Even to give some recommendation to friends is a very fine line and you may be liable for their losses....

Gigafactory Austin update:

1. installing robots on the gigapress casting machine, it looks like trial casts are only a week or two away.

2. installing paintshop baths.

3. some internal walls and quite a bit of equipment is being installed.

4. cell production section is moving at a fast pace. It looks like they really want to start making those cells and structural batteries.

Thanks! I love Randy's videos. If you aren't a patreon alredy sign up at Best way for artists and creators to get sustainable income and connect with fans | Patreon

Some youtubers think we will have car experimental production this month. With 1/3 of the structure ready and very few walls I think that is a tad optimistic. But perhaps Giga Berlin might start some of the machines up. 🚘 yes I would like a red TMY.

Reactions: wipster
Reactions: wipster
Gigafactory Austin update:

1. installing robots on the gigapress casting machine, it looks like trial casts are only a week or two away.

2. installing paintshop baths.

3. some internal walls and quite a bit of equipment is being installed.

4. cell production section is moving at a fast pace. It looks like they really want to start making those cells and structural batteries.

I love seeing how hard they are working week by week while I sit on my arse.

Unsurprising they are taking this angle trying to slow down the data lead that Tesla has and will enlarge if FSD beta goes out widely.

Unsurprising who the author is.

What is this Beetlejuice? If you say Tesla 16 times something bad happens? o_O

Look at the Facts, Ford Mustang is a broken growth story, according to this article, Mustang sales in US peaked in 2000 with 173K units, it was 122K in 2015 and only 72K in 2019. So the question is, can they sell enough Mach-E to counter their losses in ICE mustang sales ? The answer appears NO!
Based on this article their January sales are down ~20% from 2019 to 2021 (no data for 2020). And if you look at Europe or China the Mach-E is a complete failure with not a single unit sold the whole year! They are also losing money on every unit if you do not count the regulatory credit sales, which are just a one-time item anyway.

-- Am I doing this right, Gordo ?
I believe the Mach-E is Ford trying to have its cake and eat it to. This isnt a good situation for Ford and other manufacturers will have same problem. How do you start making EV cars and not siphon off sales from ICE equivalents. Well dont make EV versions of core models. Ford comes out with a Sports Car Mustang at a price competitive with ICE Mustang and sales for ICE will drop for a lower margin EV that Ford cant and doesnt want to just switch to selling. So Ford creates a sporty electric CUV and calls it the Mustang Mach-E. Then they cross fingers so that by the time they can make the EV Mustang they can in volume and at same profitability.

OT:

If a Tesla bull (ahem unnamed member here) takes a Gordon Johnson in the woods, did it really happen?

HAHAHAAHAHA

FTW?! Yes. I'm feeling a little under the weather. Things happen. I thought I was tripping when I saw this. How did you make the connection?

Tesla advantages are software, updates and charging infrastructure. Ford advantages are lots of service centers to get help, and hardware build quality. Can't get locked out etc since ford's use a B pillar combo lock to gain entry.

If charging infrastructure improves alot over time it will help Ford and the ev industry overall most.

I think cost will still matter most to the masses with the EV push though.

I hate reviews like this and how they are written, but I'm always curious about efficiency, just as a means of comparing technology and aerodynamics. Since I'm obsessed.

This was a RWD vehicle, so I guess the closest comparison would be a Model 3 RWD (not really equivalent, but close...will compare to Model Y too)?
So the Mach-E has a (nominal) 88kWh (usable) battery (it's 98.8kWh, so that presumably may mean that some degradation is hidden over time, depending on the implementation details and how they allocate that excess 10.8kWh).

In EPA testing it took 104kWh AC to charge that 88kWh (compare to 89kWh AC for the 79kWh Model 3 RWD battery - same for Model Y). So a bit worse charging efficiency for the Mach-E, but it's unclear how "real" that is since we don't know how much of the Mach-E battery is ACTUALLY usable - maybe it's actually 90kWh.

In this test the Mach-E got ~280Wh/mi roundtrip efficiency. So effective (avg roundtrip) range was about 315 miles.

Overall, I'm sure a Model 3 RWD (which no longer exist of course) would get a lot better efficiency for this trip. I'm not sure how the 2021 AWD Model Y would do; I think it would do a little better (after correcting for the correction factors, raw highway cycle efficiency for the two vehicles are 221Wh/mi for the Model Y, and 261Wh/mi for this Mustang). So I'd guess the Model Y would probably get about 250Wh/mi (round trip) on this trip. (But it's just a guess - I couldn't find an equivalent Model Y test.)

However, they'd be tight on getting into Tahoe in a Model Y, and they might decide they couldn't make it (though they definitely could in the same conditions!) - significant uphill to deal with (and a high pass close to the destination which is problematic due to limited energy storage) - they'd probably be getting ~310Wh/mi on the way up, which means just 239 miles to 0% (77.8kWh/310Wh/mi*0.955). For a 228-mile drive I could see them bailing, not wanting to arrive at 2-3% (which is really 6-7%).

Anyway, I'd guess the Model Y with AWD is about 10% more efficient than the Mach-E RWD, but with the capacity differences, the range is probably roughly equivalent. And that's not accounting for heat pump differences; I've removed their effect from the comparison (the Mach-E does not have a heat pump). That's still a pretty decent gap in efficiency, and I wonder whether this guess is correct and how real-world results would play out. Obviously the gap is larger when comparing to the AWD Mach-E (8% higher energy use).

As a competitive analysis: My overall impression is that Tesla still holds a pretty significant efficiency advantage, though I'd like to see more real-world, preferably side-by-side, comparisons. Someone should get together with a buddy with a Mach-E and do a road trip together with their Model Y!

However, depending on the way they deal with capacity loss, the Mach-E might show less degradation in range than a Tesla over time (maybe just a couple %, as compared to the fairly common 5-10% in a Tesla).

This was funny: I guess that is arguably accurate for around town driving, but not for a road trip...
"But something was up because even though the SOC was 100%, the estimated range was only 180 miles.

That evening the low temperature at Tahoe was 10˚F, but by the time we were ready to go the next morning, it had risen to 21˚ but the estimated range was still estimated at 180 miles. What was going on here? Would we be able to make it back on one charge even going downhill? For the downhill run, we chose the “Engage” or Economy drive mode.

The “Where did my energy go?” screen on the Mach-E gave us a clue to this situation. The estimation of battery usage had allocated 57 percent of the battery to climate use given it was so cold in Tahoe and 43 percent to the route."

Last edited:
Seems Elon might be taunting this “shareholder” who is suing him for his tweets
1615575994277.png

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" last night (6:11). Jimmy asked "Mayor Pete" about self-driving cars, and heard about EVs too: (transcript follows from Mar 11, 2021 show)

Jimmy: "Mr. Secretary where do you stand on self-driving cars? Have you been in one? Do you see that as something that's going to happen and if so when will it be very common?"

Sec. Buttigieg: "So we don't know yet. The real answer is as soon as the technology is ready and as soon as we know that it's safe. There's a ton of potential and there's a ton of possibility but you know for the last hundred years as a country we've been making sure cars are safe based on the the basic assumption that somebody's going to be driving it. So we've got to make sure that it works, that it can work in different conditions, but there is a ton of possibility.

"It could really change the way we relate to cars because if the car can come pick you up it may become more of a service instead of the thing that most of us own and that in turn means you don't need as many parking lots. Family finances will be different if you only pay for using a car instead of owning one. That's probably still a few years out but it is something we're actively thinking about preparing for right now."

Jimmy: "You know that Fox News tomorrow is going to take this clip and say Pete Buttigieg wants to take your car out of your garage.

Pete Buttigieg: Nobody's taking your car because there's a lot of exciting stuff on the horizon also with electric cars. You know you look at the automakers coming up with these all-electric vehicles that perform so well, obviously great for the climate and really exciting to see that growth, too.​

Kinda sounds like "Mayor Pete" has been talking with "Auntie Cathie". :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
CNBC is sometimes going borderline libelous in their constant TSLA smear campaign:

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk sued for tweeting in violation of SEC deal … presumably the suit would be from the SEC but we're waiting for confirmation on this."

Yeah, right.... we'll let this simmer a bit before getting back to you after the break (or not).

Tesla CEO Elon Musk sued for tweeting in violation of SEC deal: Report

If you are correct (I am not knowledgeable or care to know), then the choice to sell in Europe would make complete sense for the same reason(s) Tesla ships cars all over the damn world when they could easily sell all their vehicles within the company of manufacture.
I tried to figure why Tesla shipped vehicles at great expense instead of concentrating locally/nationally because of the additional expense and headaches. Ford believes the fastest growth for "American" EV's is Europe. China is out due to well..it is China. The USA is still Ford Country in their eyes.
And my reasoning is that they are "seeding"(not sure if that word is correct?) Europe. My opinion is based on two premises. Tesla sells more cars through owners convincing friends and relatives than any other way. And that Tesla believes they are going to ramp up so fast that they will over saturate the US and China markets with vehicles within a given tile period. And that developing new markets take time... AND developing new infrastructure (Charging network) takes time.
A few engineers in sales can do the math. They know exactly what they are doing, incremental growth early on and then as you all are so fond of, that "S-curve" thingee happens.
Now with a normal company that Seeding isn't a good strategy. But when companies are going to grow so damn fast they might get ahead of demand then this seeding strategy makes sense to me. And Elon plans to open so many factories to quickly "git er done" that he has this seeding thing down to a science.
Now back to Ford. Them sending most of their vehicles to Europe could be a sign of intelligence, understanding, AND ambition. Ford has so much of the capability to establish a firm position in the market. (Yes, don't bother. I know they have virtually unsurmountable software and engineering, and retooling issues. But they may think they have the roadmap to selling millions of EV's within a few years so they are developing their perceived market through seeding.) Ford could sell their 50k of mustangs in the USA. With their advertising and name brand recognition, and die-hard Ford fanatics...even having a dealer network helps in selling them in the USA now.
I am not predicting success for Ford in the long run but it appears to me to be an intelligent move to send vehicles to Europe to establish a beachhead in the fastest growing EV market outside of China.
I believe it's much simpler than that. They are sending the cars to the EU to avoid massive fines.

"America First" was a KKK slogan, not a Trump slogan. Trump merely borrowed it.

View attachment 643874
Well, I didn’t know that and I regret it if I triggered you.

However, the terrible and distressing of topic of racism is (obviously?) neither the point of the linked article (did you even read it?) nor even tangentially related to the policy issues under discussion. Maybe you could cool your jets and take a stab at getting along at least through Biden’s first 100 days?

Here is another take from a messenger you may find more agreeable, Obama, even if you are among those who do not like to hear the "the world is as it is" message as so many don’t (The Realist from Politico Magazine).

I’ve said enough on the policy topic. Policy can be pivotal but it’s hard to predict what that will mean for Tesla going forward.

Thanks! I love Randy's videos. If you aren't a patreon alredy sign up at Best way for artists and creators to get sustainable income and connect with fans | Patreon

Some youtubers think we will have car experimental production this month. With 1/3 of the structure ready and very few walls I think that is a tad optimistic. But perhaps Giga Berlin might start some of the machines up. 🚘 yes I would like a red TMY.

I think that is a misunderstanding by those fans, I think they want to start casting production for Model Y this month in Austin, but the rest of the production is in Fremont.