Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per my prior post, this is true unless you productize the tech stack. Do you think ifvtesla creates cars that are ten times safer than humans they will be able to keep it captive? They wont. So before government mandate you productize it and sell it to other automakers.

As I also hinted, there is huge market for something that can navigate in uncertain environment. Robots...

So market even bigger than cars and Tesla has all the pieces.
Thanks for spelling out the essence of what I just said. I often make the mistake of thinking that participants on this board can think one or two steps forward on their own.

I was amazed to find out that the Mach E does NOT have regen. And, to my knowledge, every EV to up until this point, has had regen. From an engineering point, regen is so simple to just run the motor in reverse, so it makes me wonder why Ford does NOT have it currently or is this forever? Put more bluntly, it seems like a huge red flag at this point as regen is free energy as well as greatly reducing wear and tear on the braking system.

An electric motor in reverse function is a generator. I guess that's not well known? You obviously know that, I'm just pointing it out.

But feeding the energy of a decelerating 3-4thousand lb vehicle into a battery pack isn't easy...Tesla does it with ease because of their power electronics and software advantage.

An electric motor in reverse function is a generator. I guess that's not well known? You obviously know that, I'm just pointing it out.

But feeding the energy of a decelerating 3-4thousand lb vehicle into a battery pack isn't easy...Tesla does it with ease because of their power electronics and software advantage.
HA, yeah! But in relative terms, for engineers who know what they are doing, EV drivetrain engineers, BMS engineers, Inverter engineers, pedal monitor, braking, autopilot all need to work together and the engineering itself isn't hard....it's the working together part that is relatively harder. I honestly cannot imagine how bad it must be at Ford if they cannot get regen to work. I cannot imagine how behind they must be (i.e. technical debt) to ship an EV without regen. It is simply not competitive to say the least.

Does anyone else think those car bodies in Berlin might be being used to test the paint-shop?

Any lessons learned can also be applied to the Austin paint-shop build.

With the cells coming from Fremont and my assumption that structural packs might be easy to build, the body-shop is the other area which might present challenges. But it would be good to minimize problem areas as far as possible before ramping.

I’m quite certain the Mach E does have regen. It just may not be turned on by default. Lots of Mach E articles mention regen and one pedal driving...
Hmm, if they do GREAT! I'm refering to Twitter feeds that state it does NOT have regen. Just looked at this TopGear article and it does mention regen: Ford Mustang Mach-E

Thank goodness if it does. Ugh, I want that car to not be the train wreck that the I-Pace was.

Does anyone else think those car bodies in Berlin might be being used to test the paint-shop?

Any lessons learned can also be applied to the Austin paint-shop build.

With the cells coming from Fremont and my assumption that structural packs might be easy to build, the body-shop is the other area which might present challenges. But it would be good to minimize problem areas as far as possible before ramping.

Yes to the paint shop testing hypothesis. Can't think of a single reason why those frames would be imported otherwise.

If they ever pay dividends, I hope they pay in TeslaCoin, that shorts can't borrow. A nice way to force them to cover, if there are any at that point. OSTK did this and saw it's share price skyrocket, though I think the CEO is a card carrying Crazy.
Lol, it's not that shortz can't borrow them; it's that shortzes can't COUNTERFEIT them. Brilliant move, BTW. Let's git'er'dun.

Cheers!

don't know how to quote embedded tweets @Mo City since the forum change but since we're sharing rumors...

the plaid S has been on the streets for select customers for a couple weeks now, according to what i know.

what i know came from an out-of-the-blue conversation with a family member. the owner of one of these S's is a literal billionaire. In Idaho.

Doesn't matter even a little bit to the Tesla's future, but thought it was worth mentioning at this point. Lends credence to the speculation that the hold up is on software and not hardware, in my opinion.

don't know how to quote embedded tweets @Mo City since the forum change but since we're sharing rumors...

the plaid S has been on the streets for select customers for a couple weeks now, according to what i know.

what i know came from an out-of-the-blue conversation with a family member. the owner of one of these S's is a literal billionaire. In Idaho.

Doesn't matter even a little bit to the Tesla's future, but thought it was worth mentioning at this point. Lends credence to the speculation that the hold up is on software and not hardware, in my opinion.
I think there is only one billionaire in Idaho.

100% he's doing that.

he's been overhyping the right-now capabilities of AP/FSD for years-where he'd make claims (well before FSD beta) like "drove me to my favorite restaurant with no disengagements!"

And it was like a 20x sped up video where he was taking city street turns--- and if you slowed it down he clearly was manually making the turns then immediately re-engaging.

When someone pointed it out he dismissed it as he meant no "unexpected" disengagements.

(and no, I don't have a link, it was something he put on twitter like 12-15 months ago or something- I only even know about it because a friend without a tesla said "Hey I saw your car can autodrive in the city now" and I said no, it can't- he showed me the video, I knew it didn't work like that, so I slowed it down to show him the disengagements the 20x speed was covering up- I did try looking just now but it's about impossible to find something on twitter that's more than a few days old on an account that posts multiple bits of media almost daily).

There's another thread on here with a video from him where he apparently denied hitting a curb but the video sure looks like he did:

NO You are wrong. I have seen several of Omar's videos since January and in many of those he publishes the slower version of the video too, and there are NO disengagements beyond what he does highlight. The trip from SF to LA and then from LA to SF has been over scrutinized by TSLAQ and the car behaved exactly like how he describes. He indeed agrees there were some instances he didn't like how the car drove, but no disengagements. So don't spread rumors.

Now it is perfectly possible that he is only publishing those drives that went perfect and ignoring those that had issues. I suspect that is the case, but the ones he posts, all are genuine.

I was amazed to find out that the Mach E does NOT have regen. And, to my knowledge, every EV to up until this point, has had regen. From an engineering point, regen is so simple to just run the motor in reverse, so it makes me wonder why Ford does NOT have it currently or is this forever? Put more bluntly, it seems like a huge red flag at this point as regen is free energy as well as greatly reducing wear and tear on the braking system.
According to this article (point 5) it has regen and can be set to very strong allowing 1 pedal driving. The Mach-E forum also has a thread discussing it.
I do not have any personal experience (never seen a Mach-E in real life), so I do not know whether your information is incorrect or the above two links, but they contradict your claim.

Somewhere I read or saw that those frames have been there for months. They may have already been used for setting up the paint shop.
Four of the frames have been showing up in videos for months. The other four could be more recent. I suspect these frames may also be helpful for calibrating robots elsewhere on the line, like BIW.