Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagreed
I retain the right to whether I want to reply or not
God help the mods if everyone tried to explain their disagrees
Thanks for your explanation. The reason I request the explanation because my reaction score is reduced for each disagree. I thought very carefully before posting my message with back-up info for my post. If SpaceCash disagrees without my reaction getting reduced, I would have no problem with that. I would only disagree if the post info is not correct.

I think you said enough. This doesn’t need to become a name calling or gang up on people scenario. I feel like there was some unneeded art stuff said on both sides at this point. Let’s move on to productive discussion
You can see for yourself SpaceCash constantly put a disagree instantly for each of my post no matter what, that's my point. This is the end.

You can see for yourself SpaceCash constantly put a disagree instantly for each of my post no matter what, that's my point. This is the end.
Cool, hit up your slightly more intelligent coworker Knightshade for some plausibly deniable time wasting (another very common tactic of paid trolls is to literally just take up TREMENDOUS amounts of volume on the page. KS does this constantly with excessive paragraphs/spacing while prattling on about not much)

Cool, hit up your slightly more intelligent coworker Knightshade for some plausibly deniable time wasting (another very common tactic of paid trolls is to literally just take up TREMENDOUS amounts of volume on the page. KS does this constantly with excessive paragraphs/spacing while prattling on about not much)
You labeled me as a "troll", see its definition: Urban Dictionary: Troll
Quote: "A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others.". Holly molly. Who constantly gave "disagree" so fast for each of my post no matter its content. This is my last respond. What a waste for other members. I was the one being provoked.

Of all the concern trolls, Care Bears, and various kinds of birds over the years, this one actually was the first and only one I put on ignore, and I did it in the first few days he/she/they appeared, that says something...

Last edited:
This is not correct. Tesla's original proclamations about the Sparks plant were that its fully-built out size would have it producing 105 gWh of batteries each year. Even when I visited it in 2016, Mr Musk said that the 105 gWh number would be the eventual full size.

1616401445326.png

Tesla Gigafactory 1 Timeline & Results — CleanTechnica Deep Dive

Can we have a discussion about the delayed model s? Seems like everyone is trying to avoid talking about this because it's a negative.

When some of us brought up the subject that there seemed to be a delay about a month ago most were dismissive saying they should start deliveries soon. Now we got ten days to go in Q1 and as far as we know not a single car has been delivered to a regular customer.

With no yoke steering in the wild this seems to be the likeliest factor for the delay. Disregarding if this is a production or legal issue can Tesla even deliver a single car with a regular steering wheel to regular customers without contacting each of them to ask if they will accept a car without a yoke?

Either way there seems to be at best a few hundred model s made so it seems likely that Q1 will have very few deliveries even if this was resolved today.

Are we now at a point where it's better to sell zero new model s in Q1 for accounting reasons or is that not a factor in this case? If Tesla has to account for costs of factory upgrades with no deliveries will this cause a significant hit to result and margin in Q1?

Can we have a discussion about the delayed model s? Seems like everyone is trying to avoid talking about this because it's a negative.

When some of us brought up the subject that there seemed to be a delay about a month ago most were dismissive saying they should start deliveries soon. Now we got ten days to go in Q1 and as far as we know not a single car has been delivered to a regular customer.

With no yoke steering in the wild this seems to be the likeliest factor for the delay. Disregarding if this is a production or legal issue can Tesla even deliver a single car with a regular steering wheel to regular customers without contacting each of them to ask if they will accept a car without a yoke?

Either way there seems to be at best a few hundred model s made so it seems likely that Q1 will have very few deliveries even if this was resolved today.

Are we now at a point where it's better to sell zero new model s in Q1 for accounting reasons or is that not a factor in this case? If Tesla has to account for costs of factory upgrades with no deliveries will this cause a significant hit to result and margin in Q1?
But if they did perform the upgrades in Q1 I'm sure they will report on those costs regardless of if any cars were delivered or not - or do you see a potential (non-dishonest) way for Tesla to delay those costs until next quarter?

Reactions: Johann Koeber
But if they did perform the upgrades in Q1 I'm sure they will report on those costs regardless of if any cars were delivered or not - or do you see a potential (non-dishonest) way for Tesla to delay those costs until next quarter?
I was thinking about how it was suggested they delayed starting model y deliveries in China until Q1 in order not to have to book depreciation on those specific costs in Q4. If you spend say $360 million on new machines you don't take all that cost in one quarter. Let's say if it's over 3 years then you have a cost $30 million per quarter. If you deliver only a few hundred or thousand cars with a cost of many millions in a quarter that will not be good for your margins. Or something. I'm not sure about the details.

Nothing dishonest about it.

I think the argument used is Chinese Model Y deliveries in Q4 were held over to Q1.
The reasoning was fixed costs spread over fewer cars means lower margins.
But Tesla never explained why those deliveries weeee delayed.

However, the Chinese Model Y costs would have been considerably higher and numerically more cars were involved.

Any Model S deliveries would be so low in number, that they will not move margins.
I think those Chinese Model Ys will have a bigger impact on the numbers.

We never had an official timeline, but it seems that they are a few weeks behind schedule.

Reactions: Johan