Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be awesome. In Europe, no adapter needed, due to the CCS cable.
I would expect a price higher than for Tesla owners, but lower than Ionity (or other competitors). It’s like free money. To paraphrase a former US president: “We’re going to expand our superchargers, and let the VW owners pay for it!”.
The non-Tesla owners are going to be talking to a lot of Tesla owners at those Superchargers, and seeing how much better the Teslas are. Many won't be non-Tesla owners for long. I think this is the major reason the other OEMs haven't taken Elon up on his offer to use the Supercharger Network. This is a great solution - bypass the OEMs and sell charging directly to the owners.

Not sure how I feel about the supercharger opening up. Not super happy to have to compete for supercharging with people who bought cars, from the company started by Hitler and that gassed monkeys, just because they hate Teslas... But I guess it’s inline with Tesla’s long term goal and probably also has a lot of nice second order effects that will be hard to quantify. And I think we can try to read between the lines, maybe Tesla will greatly increase supercharger network buildout with their new supercharger factory in China, maybe 4680 will greatly decrease charging time, maybe this is the first step of making it easier for Tesla Destination chargers to be monitized etc.

Anyway I think it’s the right thing to do. It will complicate things and require some effort on the teams to deal with the new influx of customers, but in the long run will make the company stronger.

I think its a genius demand lever to open up SuperChargers for the peasants.

Think about Leaf, Bolt owners - charging for double the time as Tesla owners.. surfing on their phones or whatever..
While Tesla owners barely have time to watch an episode of their favorite Netflix show - with cinema grade sound, before they zip away to their destination.

I'd consider swaping for a Tesla if I was one of those stuck in an inferior EV. They dont know better I guess, but to watch and experience what it is like to own a Tesla will open their minds. IMHO.

I have been a avid Tesla fan for a decade - and still both brother and aunt went ahead and bought a Leaf. :mad::confused: Tells me - they have to be able to make up their minds on their own - experience/watch what a Tesla is all about. Sometimes when we who know gush about Tesla, all they get out of it is "He/She is just another fan, it cant be that much better than this LEaf I get a $6k discount on if I buy from the local dealer"..

Every time people talk about the supercharger network and queues I get surprised. I have driven cross country in my model 3 at least 4-5 times. Almost all the stations I go to between the coasts I’m the only car there. Ya the Bay Area chargers get packed sometimes. And the Seattle area desperately needs more. But the core reason these exist is to facilitate long distance travel, not day to day charging. I don’t think opening up the network will bring in much revenue nor do I think it will greatly affect the frequency and duration of wait times at charging stations. It is exciting to see the EV market grow tho

Long time Lurker here

Yesterday Teslamag.de published an interesting story. NIO founder and CEO William Li in an interview with the Chinese Late Post . William Li describes how Tesla helped save NIO by buying their big stamping press to provide badly needed liquidity to NIO.

Google translate Teslamag NIO - Tesla Interaction 2019

Original in german:
Teslamag_NIO-Tesla Interaction 2019

I like this story of cooperation in the EV business which helped both to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

Sorry but that was a garbage note by that analyst. It's BS to say you're keeping your one year 1200 PT(Which he's had since Jan) while at the same time saying there will be significantly cheaper entry points over the next year. If he puts that much weight into the Cybertruck , which Tesla has already telegraphed as not being in full production until early next year, that it can cause the stock to go significantly down from these THESE levels.....well then I don't put much weight into his analysis at all....even if he is a Bull.
It's called "stating the obvious", of course the stock will dip if GF4/5 are delayed, you don't need to read an analyst note to understand that

I suspect part of the reason we're in the doldrums now is that the S&X are late. Even worse than that, we get zero communication from Tesla as to why that's the case, which makes it even worse

TBH, I think this is very poor from Tesla's side. I understand they don't want to engage in BS PR, but some transparency on some things would be very helpful. Same goes for the chip shortage, is Tesla impacted, yes, no, a little bit? Right now, as they say nothing, the assumption is they are

Tesla do so many things well, but this is not one of them

This is currently showing on my yahoo news feed.
View attachment 647587
Basically Tesla said if you wire your BitCoin to a wrong person, don’t come to us and ask for a car.

And this can make it to news headlines... peak FUD I would say.
So exactly the same as when you transfer cash to the wrong bank account? OK, in theory, you can try to recover it, but good luck with that...

I don't know much about crapto, but do hold $DOGE and did transfer it to a wallet, hence requiring the input of a seeming random stream of characters, easy to make a typo, but I think I was able to copy/paste, is you have to be a bit dim to get that wrong, and doubly-so if you're messing with $100k transfer. What happens if you make an error, where do the coins go, into the Ether?

Reactions: UncaNed
Auto maker long term debt: (descending order)

Volkswagen $211B
Toyota $185B
Ford $154B
BMW $127B
GM $114B
Daimler $106B
---
Tesla $13B

Yes, the other Auto majors have an average of $150B in debt. Tesla (on the other hand) has ZERO net debt (more cash on hand than total debt).

Now, the others will be losing customers at the Superchargers, too... (because the best Tesla marketing is done by Tesla owners) :p

Cheers!

Sooo..........I'll be very curious to see if something comes out/leaks about a company-wide call in meeting that took place today.

I have a source that works at Tesla who says that it happened and was on the call (with Elon on the call of course) and their reaction was "The next 3 years are going to be wildly amazing". I'm not pressing on them on any details nor would i ever want to get them in trouble so I'm left to speculate on my own about what was in that company wide call. The call was apparently at 6-7 pm today (pacific time zone)
I have problems understanding how opening up Superchargers will make "The next 3 years are going to be wildly amazing".

Sure it could help with marketing Tesla cars vs other EVs and bring some revenue. But wildly amazing?

Perhaps I need more coffee.

Eventually.

Although, to be fair, I very very rarely see greater than 20% SuC occupancy so there’s some spare capacity. Hopefully the opening to other marques will be carried out carefully in order to avoid saturating the existing network.

Tesla should limit expansion to BEVs that have 125kW Plus capability.

If there is still some unused capacity left then 100kW.

Every time people talk about the supercharger network and queues I get surprised. I have driven cross country in my model 3 at least 4-5 times. Almost all the stations I go to between the coasts I’m the only car there. Ya the Bay Area chargers get packed sometimes. And the Seattle area desperately needs more. But the core reason these exist is to facilitate long distance travel, not day to day charging. I don’t think opening up the network will bring in much revenue nor do I think it will greatly affect the frequency and duration of wait times at charging stations. It is exciting to see the EV market grow tho

Same here with me in rural UK. I have owned a tesla for five years and queued twice for a charger, never more than 15 minutes.

I have problems understanding how opening up Superchargers will make "The next 3 years are going to be wildly amazing".

Sure it could help with marketing Tesla cars vs other EVs and bring some revenue. But wildly amazing?

Perhaps I need more coffee.
I think he talked about other things at the meeting as well. Fred Lambert has sources in Tesla so we'll probably get a full report today.

Reactions: Wilber
Yes, "wildly amazing" implies (to me) either a tsnami of 4680 production, or a typhoon of FSD robotaxi's.

The point that most analysts get wrong is likely just wildly underestimating Tesla's total vehicle production ramp over the next 3 years. Could easily see 3M+/yr production rates in that time. And that's before "Model 2", which should be ramping by that time too. So, 3-5M cars/yr run rate by 2024?

One analyst said recently Giga Shanghai prod. will peak at 900k in 2027, then decrease thereafter? Whack-a-doodle. :p

So, imma call it: "the Production ramp" is the amazing story of the next 3 years, wrt Market-moving info.

Cheers!

Last edited: