Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One data point on Delivery numbers for 2021 Q1. I reside in Greater Toronto Area. Although Model S arrived in Canada in late 2012, Model X in June 2016, Model 3 in May 2018, the majority of my Tesla sightings are now Model Y which only began arriving in Canada June 2020. Since the beginning of 2021 there are now over two dozen Tesla owners within a 30 minute walk from my house, and I'm seeing more and more neighbours realizing the dream the more walks I take.

Model X is more popular than Model S
Model 3 is more popular than Model X
Model Y is more popular than Model 3
Cybertruck will be more popular than Model Y (certainly in North America)
Model 2 will be more popular than Cybertruck
Model 1 will be more popular than Model 2 (should Tesla decide to venture into economy cars)
Can you see the pattern here?

One data point on Delivery numbers for 2021 Q1. I reside in Greater Toronto Area. Although Model S arrived in Canada in late 2012, Model X in June 2016, Model 3 in May 2018, the majority of my Tesla sightings are now Model Y which only began arriving in Canada June 2020. Since the beginning of 2021 there are now over two dozen Tesla owners within a 30 minute walk from my house, and I'm seeing more and more neighbours realizing the dream the more walks I take.

Model X is more popular than Model S
Model 3 is more popular than Model X
Model Y is more popular than Model 3
Cybertruck will be more popular than Model Y (certainly in North America)
Model 2 will be more popular than Cybertruck
Model 1 will be more popular than Model 2 (should Tesla decide to venture into economy cars)
Can you see the pattern here?

Model 0 will be more popular than Tim Horton's

TSLA decoupled from NIO during this last hour and refused to follow....well, everyone, including other superstars of growth in green energy....sharply upwards. Probably the most interesting development of the day to me. That may need to be unwound on Monday.
Yes, I have noticed that too.
it decoupled from all my other stocks that finished in the green unexpectedly.
I understand when there is an EV sell off. I don’t get when there is a sell off of the best EV company while the others are greenish

Think of eminent domain backed by the the federal government via a special bill for getting hold of land quickly - and doing zoning and permission at record speed. As others have noted Tesla executes very fast, but getting land, permitting and power are the things that slow Tesla down. Maybe 2 or all 3 of those will be solved by a massive new infrastructure bill

Not an attorney but taught a lot of USG over the years, this sounds like a serious challenge to states' rights so is only a remote possibility.

Today started out ok, but a bit boring, with the home team treading water around break even. They must have got cramps or something after that because they could not stay afloat any longer and sank like a rock during the next two quarters. A furious fourth quarter rally wasn't enough to get them back the surface and they had to be pulled back to shore via a well placed Boring Company tunnel. The end result was a 20 point loss that could have been much worse, but at least they showed some fight and hopefully carry that can do attitude to Monday.

Today
Score: 618.71
Margin of W/L: -21.68
Attendance: 33,751,848

Season
Record: 28-30
Total margin in wins: 680.21
Total margin in losses: -767.17
YTD gain/loss: -86.96 -12.32%
Avg margin of victory: 24.29
Avg margin of defeat: -25.57
Best Win: 110.58 2021-03-09
Worst Loss: -68.83 2021-01-11
Last 10: 5-5
Streak: L1
Avg Attendance: 38,545,631
Avg Attendance of Last 10: 35,982,435

I set mine for $550. Maybe I should change it to $551. If we're lucky it will hit soon before it heads back towards $1,200.
then again why not set limit at $576 or $601 ... it is pretty arbitrary and if Tesla solves FSD the difference between $575 and $550 for 100 shares is .... $2500 in today's dollars ... if you never pull the trigger on those 100 shares and we hit ARKs target for 2025 of $3000 per share that lot will be worth $242,500 and you will be able to congratulate yourself for not overpaying for those 100 shares in 2021 ....
not advice ;)

Not an attorney but taught a lot of USG over the years, this sounds like a serious challenge to states' rights so is only a remote possibility.
Good point.

Instead allocate a big pile of federal money the states could apply for: Which they probably will because it will result in jobs and attract taxpayers to live and work in their state.
Certain criteria must be met in order to get the federal grants, including deadlines, no of chargers, solar panels, batteries, etc.
Up to states if and how they are able to meet criteria by either utilizing state land, buying land in private market - or using state or city eminent domain laws - or a combination.
Follow up with mechanisms and procedures for review and subsequently reclamation of grants received but not faithfully executed upon. Even possible to add bonuses for projects well executed, before time.

Set up the right incentive structures and good outcomes will (likely) flow from that.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed and kanweg
If Tesla exceeds, everybody exceeds -- as status quo is maintained in TMC. Unless you already have the most Tesla Delta that is.
My Tesla-Delta is currently about 3x compared to having all-in TSLA-Stock .. ;) Options ftw!
And never underestimate Gamma & Vega. Currently have a gamma of $5 for every $ TSLA moves. And $3k Vega if IV pops on delivery numbers in 2 weeks.. ;)

We will see who will win when all is said & done :D

People always talk about their own private islands .. don't think so constrained .. Why have an island if you can have a whole base inside an asteroid? ;)

I seriously wish everyone of you good luck :)

My Tesla-Delta is currently about 3x compared to having all-in TSLA-Stock .. ;) Options ftw!
And never underestimate Gamma & Vega. Currently have a gamma of $5 for every $ TSLA moves. And $3k Vega if IV pops on delivery numbers in 2 weeks.. ;)

We will see who will win when all is said & done :D

People always talk about their own private islands .. don't think so constrained .. Why have an island if you can have a whole base inside an asteroid? ;)

I seriously wish everyone of you good luck :)
I have accumulated a little too much Vanna...👀

To the market that is a material change, because it shifts from 'highly speculative'. Demean it if you will but these category changes are important to several categories of institutional investors which often have either regulatory or policy constraints on their holdings. To the broader world it is largely irrelevant, as you stay. To the entities that actually buy these securities this is a material upgrade.

To clarify, I am not suggesting is agree, but I do understand how the rules work for insurance companies, pension funds and sovereign funds. Though these do vary, the vast majority have fairly rigid limits on their investment categories.

To an earlier issue: Ford is the only US auto manufacturer that has avoided bankruptcy other than Tesla. A long history never failing to pay is worth serious extra tolerance by most debt analysis. Nonetheless the rating agencies do NOT have stellar reputations even though the investor usually must pay attention, like it or not.
Yep. *looks at SP post the upgrade* Totally mattered. 🙄

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Remember, these are not nearly as refined as the world wants to believe them to be.
So outdated, antiquated and not worth a pot.

I get this is where you spent much of your career life and that you’ve done and seen good in the sector. But it’s also full of theives, cheats and inadequate persons and needs a good closet cleaning.

For the record, I’ll talk just as frankly about my industry; also full of unsavory sorts and minimally talented.

I will say this about the ratings agency's.

From the cheap seats they smell bad.....they talk a foreign language even though it is English....which means to me they are lying at worst or perhaps selling a product that will not stand up to close scrutiny.

Their track record sucks.
Their future predictions are based on outdated metrics.
They are the walking dead.

My prediction...they go they way of travel agents....and none to soon.