Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
51 min ago:

"A 200,000-tonne container ship, that has been blocking off a large portion of global trade over the past six days, was partially freed from the shoreline of the Suez Canal on Monday, officials said.​
"The Suez Canal Authority (SCA) said that the 400m (1,300ft) container ship, called Ever Given, has been put back on course by 80%, adding that greater efforts would be taken to move the boat later today."​

Do we have any info on whether car parts have been held up?

I doubt that Tesla has any parts going through the Suez Canal (at least not until Berlin starts production), but European manufacturers (OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers) probably get lots of components from China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan. Korean and Japanese OEMs manufacturing in Europe are probably even more dependent on the canal. Car carriers are probably also affected, but a few days late on those won't make a big difference to sales.

There are suspicions that one of the follow-ons of this blockage will be a destination port congestion that will involve all port traffic.

Tesla's car carriers from China for Q2 all docked and unloaded in Europe weeks ago (there's a twitter account that follows Tesla shipping traffic). If this blockage were an extended event, it could affect Q3, but it looks increasingly likely to be a weeks long event, not a months long one.

This might be an ideal time for Tesla to experiment with the overland "silk rail-road" to Europe. The Gov't of China definately wants to see its use increased. Delivery time, labor and total cost are ripe for disruption vs. ship transport.

Cheers!

Apparently a Chinese co has already started on prototypes for 4680 cells using tabless tech, with batch production this year and scale production next year. If they are legit, this will be good news for increased supply for Tesla, especially if it looks to launch the Model 2 in 22/23.

BAK Battery Unveils First Chinese 4680 Battery Cells
If the Chinese work half as hard and determined on the batteries as they did on Giga; buckle up.

I do think people are reading too much into this cell-constrained/semi thing. Its literally one tweet from elon. He didn't say 'no semi this year due to lack of batteries'. READ the actual exchange:

"What year do you think we’ll see follow-the-leader driverless platooning?"

"We are too cell-constrained right now, but probably ok next year"

The question is about platooning, not the semi as such. When I first read it, I read it as elon saying 'there wont be enough semis out on the roads this year that you will see them platooning'. And I think this is right. I think there will be semis produced this year, the first bunch likely used internally by Tesla for their own transport, then a bunch more sent out to those who pre-ordered founders editions etc, but in terms of bulk shipment in the thousands of tens of thousands? sure, not until 2022.

How often do you see a bunch of identical model trucks in a line on a US highway right now anyway?

Also this is the new 'manage expectations' version elon 2.0. He may well be sandbagging.

I do think people are reading too much into this cell-constrained/semi thing. Its literally one tweet from elon. He didn't say 'no semi this year due to lack of batteries'.
Also, if there isn't enough batteries to allocate enough to build say 100 semis in Q4 there will be a very real battery problem for model y in Germany. A much worse problem.

You mean .. maybe with a semi .. in platooning-mode? ... ;)
Yeah, of course not, the silk rail road is a train route. There is simply no charging infrastructure on the China/Europe highway route to support a large volume of heavy trucks (it'd be 600 trucks for every ship's worth of cars). There were 11 ships from China to Europe in Q1. o_O

Also, the fin/media r so corrupt. Elon said no platooning right away due to lack of batteries. That just means mass production won't start yet. It was never planned to start now. Q2 for pre-production alpha models, Jul/Aug for 1st prod on the rolling assembly line, 100/week in Q4, etc. This is not news.

Instead, fin/media screams "Click here! Semi D Layed!" Liars. Elon never said that, but nobody every calls them on lies, and clix feed the monster.

Eat my shortzes, lol.

Cheers!

i know this forum frowns on doing anything practical to address criticism of Tesla, on the basis that it'd be "bowing down to media overlords" but the obvious solution here is to introduce a Captain Planet Mode that is FWD, top-speed limited, and super-Chill. Maybe even boost regen and reduce cabin climate functions if there's anything to gain there.
That is what I would suggest too. Tesla should put a "super chill" range mode in drive modes like the others. Limit top speed to 70mhp, cut engine power more than half, if AWD then disable one of the engines, low-power ac, low-power everything, no acceleration after 70mph. I wonder how many +miles Tesla would get in this mode over EPA.

All others are doing just this. It is some kind of cheating or hypermiling.

The only comparable efficiency figure between EVs is "range for performance". Otherwise it becomes like comparing the fuel economy of a 2 cylinder engine with a 6 cylinder engine. As for Edmunds and WLTP, they use the most efficient drive mode for testing. That is why WLTP score sucks in real life because most people don't drive their car in half-powered eco mode.

Reuters (21 min ago)

Ship swings back across Suez Canal before next tugging attempt, witness and source say

SUEZ, Egypt (Reuters) - A giant container ship that was jammed across the Suez Canal and has been partially refloated swung back across channel amid high wind on Monday ahead of the next attempt to fully dislodge it, a Reuters witness and a canal source said.​
"The source said the ship’s bow was afloat in the water despite its change of position, and that the vessel had not become regrounded."​

• Informative
Reactions: Paul_SF and JustMe
That is what I would suggest too. Tesla should put a "super chill" range mode in drive modes like the others. Limit top speed to 70mhp, cut engine power more than half, if AWD then disable one of the engines, low-power ac, low-power everything, no acceleration after 70mph. I wonder how many +miles Tesla would get in this mode over EPA.

The only comparable efficiency figure between EVs is "range for performance". Otherwise it becomes like comparing the fuel economy of a 2 cylinder engine with a 6 cylinder engine. As for Edmunds and WLTP, they use the most efficient drive mode for testing. That is why WLTP score sucks in real life because most people don't drive their car in half-powered eco mode.
A couple years back I emailed Tesla about creating a "Hypermiling Mode" option in the Drive section of the touchscreen--never heard anything back.

Doesn't make any sense to have headlights on in the middle of the day, just wastes energy.

A couple years back I emailed Tesla about creating a "Hypermiling Mode" option in the Drive section of the touchscreen--never heard anything back.

Doesn't make any sense to have headlights on in the middle of the day, just wastes energy.
I do support the hypermill software setting.

But, it doesnt make sense to turn off headlights, as they use neglible amounts of energy.
In most parts of the world, use of headlights are mandatory 24/7.

You have tunnells, cloudy days, low sun.. lots of situations where headlight definitively have an impact on visibility. Not necessarily your own, but those around you(cars, pedestrians,cyclists etc.). A car with lights on grab a whole different kind of attention than one with dark headlights. (could be parked)

Reuters (21 min ago)

Ship swings back across Suez Canal before next tugging attempt, witness and source say

SUEZ, Egypt (Reuters) - A giant container ship that was jammed across the Suez Canal and has been partially refloated swung back across channel amid high wind on Monday ahead of the next attempt to fully dislodge it, a Reuters witness and a canal source said.​
"The source said the ship’s bow was afloat in the water despite its change of position, and that the vessel had not become regrounded."​
I'm thinking this may be a Guiness Record for the world's biggest Wedgie.

Vesselfinder shows it making 2.3 knots and increasing speed.

Last edited:

How much would the EPA-range of e.g. a Model 3 LR be increased, if the test was re-done - only with Chill mode enabled (making this a non-EPA range test)?