Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of the most important P&D report in TSLA history:
For the FIRST time, Q1 delivery exceeds the prior Q4. This is the inflection point where TSLA's growth is starting to outpace seasonal fluctuation. In fact, last year Q1 could have been it if we didn't have Fremont shutdown for 6 weeks due to COVID. This year we got confirmation.
This Q confirms that TSLA is NOT affected by the global chip shortage.
This Q confirms that Shanghai is a powerhouse and that opening new gigafactories will be immensely profitable for TSLA. Berlin and Austin are simultaneously beginning production in a few months.

Just like Q1 of 2020, these numbers are very impressive and institution investors are not a bunch of Gordos with their head in the sand. They recognize headwinds and positive execution. The amount of fear for this q was similar to Q1 of 2020 which I speculated it'll be a very good thing if Tesla managed to surprise..and boy did they surprise.

I think more surprises coming during earnings. Those S/X sales are 95% P versions, which carries a much higher margin than the LR+. Energy sales may explode and turn a positive margin, and we might have better than expected margins from 3Y as well.
The S&X are pre-refresh, so will be whatever's hanging around that Tesla shifted for a "good price", don't expect much there

Regardless of that, I think 1Q21 blows 1Q20 out of the water, for us and for WS, the "busted growth story" rhetoric is dead now, this is a watershed IMO

Your reference graph is for 2019. Tesla already was ranked 21 in 2020. 2020 was a disasterous year for OEM while Tesla shone bright (note link with 2020 summary below).
I see Tesla going to rank 17 by end of 2021, rank 14 for end of 2022 and getting in the top ten by 2023.

2020 Results at a glance, with details to follow:
  • GM's sales were down 11.9% for the year.
  • Toyota sales were off 11.4%.
  • Ford fell 15.6%.
  • Fiat Chrysler was off 17.4%.
  • Struggling Nissan reported sales down 33.2% for the year.
  • Honda fell 16.3%.
  • Hyundai sales dropped 10%.
  • Volkswagen Group was down 12.8%.
  • Subaru sales were off 12.6%.
  • Tesla (up 20.3%), Volvo (up 1.8%) and Mazda (up 0.2%) bucked trends
Happy Easter. New Life. New Beginnings.

I couldn't find a good chart for 2020 global sales and the link you posted is for US sales only, but point taken. I'd imagine the other OEMs will recover around their 2019 sales this year. Tesla will obviously grow at a rate others can't match.

For the FIRST time, Q1 delivery exceeds the prior Q4. This is the inflection point where TSLA's growth is starting to outpace seasonal fluctuation. In fact, last year Q1 could have been it if we didn't have Fremont shutdown for 6 weeks due to COVID. This year we got confirmation.
This Q confirms that Shanghai is a powerhouse and that opening new gigafactories will be immensely profitable for TSLA. Berlin and Austin are simultaneously beginning production in a few months.
I think every P&D is important since there's just so much FUD to debunk. Every P&D helps debunk 80% of the FUD built up for the quarter.

This is the same guy who clowned on Tesla and panned FSD in January but also admitted Waymo's path to comprehensive autonomy would long, hard and arduous.

He got half of it right. Sometimes it's best to focus and comment on your own product instead of displaying insecurity about what someone else is doing.

I'll add on to yours. Just in the past week we've gotten -

- Apple using Tesla Energy in a large scale project which sets a big trend. I expect more large companies to follow.
- Biden's EV and Renewable infrastructure plan
- Possible new agreement with Toyota that would establish Tesla as the software provider of all things autonomy and in-car usage
- Possible shakeup of Waymo that could be a sign that things are not going well, possible re-strategizing incoming.

When the stars align for Tesla, they reeeaaallly align

Last edited:
Your reference graph is for 2019. Tesla already was ranked 21 in 2020. 2020 was a disasterous year for OEM while Tesla shone bright (note link with 2020 summary below).
I see Tesla going to rank 17 by end of 2021, rank 14 for end of 2022 and getting in the top ten by 2023.

• Ford fell 15.6%.
  • Honda fell 16.3%.
Not to forget that the PSA / FCA merger freed up one spot in the top 20. There may be more before end of 2022.

The question for Monday is not *IF*, but how many calls to buy for Apr 30th exp.

I already hold 10X 900 strike Apr30th exp at $2.74.

Thinking setting up some market buy orders for 800, 840 and 870.
I'm going to May 14th calls if we somehow open flat/down. We've seen plenty of delayed reactions to great TSLA Earnings in the past. Gotta give 2 weeks space for shenanigans and then the unwind of said shenanigans. May 14 $800c last ticked at $13.27 Thursday, I imagine they'll be wildly expensive at open Monday.

• Ford fell 15.6%.
  • Honda fell 16.3%.
Why am I not surprised that in the body of the article, they make mention of Volvo and Mazda's stellar trend bucking yet the only time the word Tesla appears is in the above list. Note the title "The good and the bad of an ugly year" except of course, the really good.

The S&X are pre-refresh, so will be whatever's hanging around that Tesla shifted for a "good price", don't expect much there

Regardless of that, I think 1Q21 blows 1Q20 out of the water, for us and for WS, the "busted growth story" rhetoric is dead now, this is a watershed IMO
I looked into the inventory as of 2 days ago. There are 3 S/X left in the entire U.S. Their pricing was pennies on the dollar. Still over 100k each for the P variant.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ABCTG and FireMedic
The AAPL news is good PR but financially speaking it's not that big of a deal. 85 megapack x 3 mwh x $300k per mwh = $77m in revenue, less than 1% of total revenue. It's a step in the right direction for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the immediate reaction wasn't that enthusiastic.

Agree, it’s more symbolic than anything. It always goes back to cell supply. These projects for now are proof-of-concept in a way that WHEN there will be enough cells, everyone is going to be turning to Tesla for utility-scale deployment.

In other words, they provide a glimpse into the future of TE, which remains IMHO Tesla’s best kept secret.

I'll add on to yours. Just in the past week we've gotten -

- Apple using Tesla Energy in a large scale project which sets a big trend. I expect more large companies to follow.
- Biden's EV and Renewable infrastructure plan
- Possible new agreement with Toyota that would establish Tesla as the software provider of all things autonomy and in-car usage
- Possible shakeup of Waymo that could be a sign that things are not going well, possible re-strategizing incoming.

When the stars align for Tesla, they reeeaaallly align
You forgot the credits in China. That one makes me giggle.

Strange then that we've seen such big gains against the EUR this last month we've been discussing it. And +.15% today too. Weird.

Traders are gonna do what they want. 'Dilution' is an economics term. There are ~100T USD in circulation. If the U.S. Gov't / Federal Reserve issues another $5T in deficit spending, that's about 5% dilution on the real value of the USD.

Tesla has already hedged their U.S. Cash position perfectly with their bitcoin purchase in Jan 2021. And bonus it's not linked to any OTHER gov't currency either (which is what you're using as a benchmark).