Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever tried this and had success with timing? At this point, wouldn't it be baked in even at 4AM?
Maybe wait a couple of days for some moe fud on the pullback? (I can't imagine what next.)

My closest friend was "waiting" to get in at a lower price with all his savings. My advice was to average the entry cost out by buying every week or day or whatever, no matter what. Although he's the friend who bought my 63 Buick back. It's a whole mindset just to understand what's happening.

I was afraid to look at the Q1 report until late yesterday. Was this going to be the 3rd or 4th time Q1 disappointed? About this time last year, I was selling as it rose then realized I need to stop selling. This time I only let go the usual 10%, but dumping 30% or more did cross my mind.

Here's to the Longs! I do not see this letting up, the pressure will be tremendous. And I do count FSD in my projections, it's part of my strategy to collect Tesla's for the TN.
I've never traded pre-market. How do you tell if this is enabled in your preferred platform?

EDIT: Found Fidelity extended trading:

fidelity ext hours trading.png

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Pointing out the headlines and the premise of the article is 100% wrong is not being too sensitive. It is just pointing out the facts.

Moron reporter: "When Sun rose in the west this morning, ...."

"No Sun did not rise in the west and has not done that ever"

"oh you are being too sensitive".

Really? I let the comment about the headline being inaccurate slide because it wasn’t worth the time to point out that the headline is actually accurate. Beside, who the &$#- cares? Why does it matter?

Will RivIan put chargers in exactly the same spot as Tesla chargers? I mean, in exactly the same spot, not in the same friggin state? Of course they won’t/aren’t, therefore the headline is accurate.

You (and PeterJA) seem to think that because Rivian and Tesla chargers will both be in Hawaii, Alaska, etc. that means the headline is wrong.

Bollocks. If you can be pedantic claiming the headline is wrong, I can be just as pedantic claiming it to be right. But as I said, this is a stupid discussion.

Reactions: MartinAustin
I wonder what the locals on the forum think about this:

Oh no doubt it would be the most important, but I’m advocating that they get serious about it with real researchers... right now it’s by far the most difficult endeavor of Elon’s visions.
Did you not watch their most recent ‘recruitment’ video? If not, you should. Several people were introduced. It’s quite an eclectic, diverse group of brilliant people.

• Helpful
Reactions: Paul_SF and capster

Since its the weekend, I hope its ok to post this here. Trying to understand better about charitable remainder trusts, potentially as a way to retire, avoid taxes on selling Tesla, and get an income stream. Because Tesla could go up soon and many of us are contemplating retirement, I think its relevant to a lot of people. I learned about it from my tax advisor.

Not investment advise but from what I can tell positives are you can put tesla in a CRT, sell tesla in the CRT without paying any tax, manage the money in the CRT and direct into safer investments, get an annuity, get a tax deduction up from which can be spread out over first 5 years and cover the taxes on the annuity those years. If you die early, the charity gets the entire sum but you can offset this risk with life insurance which i have.

If you have any thoughts, I'd be curious... thanks!

OK to move to early retirement thread if needed.
I am setting this up as part of my will -- the life insurance part appears unnecessary. It would best be discussed in another thread...
Thank you for the suggestion @2daMoon.

Reactions: sdtslafan
There are lots of rumors, but nothing concrete from any of the Quad Squad members (drone flyers) sources.

• SpaceX are known to be planning a StarLink terminal factory in the Austin area.
  • SpaceX are also likely to move their HQ function to Texas, but probably Starbase (Boca Chica).
  • Tesla HQ is moving to Austin and rumors are that it will be across the highway.
  • Tesla is opening a design center in the Austin area, possibly here.
  • Rumors are also of a test track
  • Rumors of housing across the toll road.
  • Martin Marietta are also supposed to vacate their current concrete plant, rumor is that they will move to Tesla owned land across the highway (but possibly next to the asphalt plant).
Edit: forgot about:
  • Semi factory
  • Car park and logistics area (with The Boring Company tunnel(s) connecting the two halves)
  • The Boring Company HQ
  • Neuralink is rumored to be moving there too.

Since it is the weekend, I will speculate there are a few things we don't fully understand.

We don't understand all of the construction happening at Austin and Shanghai, there are multiple sites at each location.

We don't know what the plan is for LFP cells for energy storage.

We don't know what the plans are for Supercharging and Megacharging, expansion and allowing others to use the service.
If we see more sites with more than 50 stalls, allowing other brands to charge will not impact on customer service.

We don't have the full picture on FSD progress, and we don't know what if any plans exist for a possible partnership with Toyota.,

We may get some more useful information in the Q1 earnings call.

Seems to me less information is leaking out from Tesla these days, and outsiders are finding it harder to piece together the full jigsaw. Most of what we don't know, is probably good news.

Really? I let the comment about the headline being inaccurate slide because it wasn’t worth the time to point out that the headline is actually accurate. Beside, who the &$#- cares? Why does it matter?

Will RivIan put chargers in exactly the same spot as Tesla chargers? I mean, in exactly the same spot, not in the same friggin state? Of course they won’t/aren’t, therefore the headline is accurate.

You (and PeterJA) seem to think that because Rivian and Tesla chargers will both be in Hawaii, Alaska, etc. that means the headline is wrong.

Bollocks. If you can be pedantic claiming the headline is wrong, I can be just as pedantic claiming it to be right. But as I said, this is a stupid discussion.

One thing that's less stupid is being aware that Bloomberg has a history of bias against Tesla, and therefore should be read with skepticism when they write about Tesla.

Their headline is: Rivian Will Go Where Even Tesla Doesn’t Dare

There is no evidence in the article (or elsewhere to my knowledge) that Tesla "doesn't dare" to go anywhere. Tesla seems very busy putting chargers wherever their customers want them. Therefore Bloomberg's headline is pure clickbait fiction.

I do not know why. I DO know that IF someone uses a public platform to pump pump pump and THEN he goes dump dump dump, not only should the SEC be shutting him up but they should be shutting him up in the Big House.
I’m shorting burry
Did you not watch their most recent ‘recruitment’ video? If not, you should. Several people were introduced. It’s quite an eclectic, diverse group of brilliant people.
i shall watch it!

I do not know why. I DO know that IF someone uses a public platform to pump pump pump and THEN he goes dump dump dump, not only should the SEC be shutting him up but they should be shutting him up in the Big House.

I could see Burry doing this without realizing he was breaking the law. I suspect he is that clueless. Burry barely survived a legal challenge when he made his huge bet against the housing market in 2005-2008. He was running a fund and his investment bets were way outside what his fund documents said he was going to do. Fund investors were pissed and threatened legal action. After that (and after he made a lot of money for his ungrateful investors), he vowed to never invest other people’s money anymore, he would just play with his own money. Now he’s taking a vow of silence. Probably for the best.

As far as I could tell, the only given reason why he shorted Tesla is that the market cap was too high. Like way too high, thinking it could go as low as $100/share bringing it inline with other auto companies. Which means he doesn't think Tesla can keep on exponentially growing. However there is no evidence that I can see that Tesla can’t grow as big as the majors. Indeed, it is the most likely scenario in my mind. Oddly enough for a contrarian, Burry seems to attach a lot of value to VW's luxury brands. I guess Burry never heard that “Cadillac“ used to be synonymous with luxury?

One thing that's less stupid is being aware that Bloomberg has a history of bias against Tesla, and therefore should be read with skepticism when they write about Tesla.

Their headline is: Rivian Will Go Where Even Tesla Doesn’t Dare

There is no evidence in the article (or elsewhere to my knowledge) that Tesla "doesn't dare" to go anywhere. Tesla seems very busy putting chargers wherever their customers want them. Therefore Bloomberg's headline is pure clickbait fiction.

Wrong. Rivian is putting chargers in really obscure places. Tesla, especially when they started, put and continues to put their chargers in the most trafficked areas. It is a smart strategy for a mass market brand like Tesla. Rivian is an adventure brand so they are putting their chargers in really remote places.

It appears that we are excited about the opening on Monday morning. Hopefully we will see a bounce back over $700. Does anyone have experience with watching the premarket trading value on mornings after a surprise beat on P&D or earnings? Is there a opportunity to purchase some additional shares prior to the market opening and hopefully what turns out to be a 10%+ day.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
Wrong. Rivian is putting chargers in really obscure places. Tesla, especially when they started, put and continues to put their chargers in the most trafficked areas. It is a smart strategy for a mass market brand like Tesla. Rivian is an adventure brand so they are putting their chargers in really remote places.

Evidence, please. There is none in the article, and the two charger maps suggest otherwise.

Rivian map
Tesla map

Edit: I see now from the maps that Rivian plans more fast chargers in Alaska and Hawaii "by end of 2023" than Tesla shows for 2021 and 2022. So fair enough for those remote places. But I suspect that Tesla will dare to go there when Cybertruck gives Rivian some adventure competition.

Last edited:
“These companies are finding it is harder to actually take that PowerPoint slide and get a product out of it than was envisioned,” said Jon Lopez, an analyst at investment bank Vertical Group who follows the sector. “If you’re having to reposition or pivot already, what’s going to happen in three years or five years?” he asked, noting there would then be far more competition from traditional auto makers."

TLDR

1. Canoo told investors it's abandoning or scaling back key aspects of the strategy laid out when it raise 630 mil last year
2. Romeo Power is expected decreased guild from 140 mil to 40 mil
3. Lordstown Motors it will need double the capex
4. XL Fleet facing problems without much explanation, and decrease guide from rev 75 mil down to 1 mil.

All 4 companies had a stock tank between 12-20%.

BTW to read the article behind the paywall, use a cellphone and clear bowser history first.

Last edited:
That isn't what their site says...

Each site will have multiple chargers and will be conveniently located on highways and main roads, often by cafes and shops.
That doesn't sound obscure or really remote at all.

Last edited:
It appears that we are excited about the opening on Monday morning. Hopefully we will see a bounce back over $700. Does anyone have experience with watching the premarket trading value on mornings after a surprise beat on P&D or earnings? Is there a opportunity to purchase some additional shares prior to the market opening and hopefully what turns out to be a 10%+ day.
No.

Not to break your weekend fun but it will be up significantly premarket, when you will be able to purchase shares it might already up significantly from Friday closure.

Any chance you could swing by Kato Rd? We haven't seen progress there for a little while?
Had a chance to do just that. Not seeing much progress and factory was dead quiet with not much to see. No S&X visible in the delivery yard and it was mostly empty so I didn't fly there today. Here you go, enjoy:

Also, thought this was funny...

sandbags.jpg

Premarket sellers are also aware of the P&D results.

I could see Burry doing this without realizing he was breaking the law. I suspect he is that clueless. Burry barely survived a legal challenge when he made his huge bet against the housing market in 2005-2008. He was running a fund and his investment bets were way outside what his fund documents said he was going to do. Fund investors were pissed and threatened legal action. After that (and after he made a lot of money for his ungrateful investors), he vowed to never invest other people’s money anymore, he would just play with his own money. Now he’s taking a vow of silence. Probably for the best.

As far as I could tell, the only given reason why he shorted Tesla is that the market cap was too high. Like way too high, thinking it could go as low as $100/share bringing it inline with other auto companies. Which means he doesn't think Tesla can keep on exponentially growing. However there is no evidence that I can see that Tesla can’t grow as big as the majors. Indeed, it is the most likely scenario in my mind. Oddly enough for a contrarian, Burry seems to attach a lot of value to VW's luxury brands. I guess Burry never heard that “Cadillac“ used to be synonymous with luxury?
I wonder if Burry has made the same amount of research on TSLA as he has done on the housing market prior to 2008. being a contrarian and betting on GME when it was way undervalued, I would have expected him to do the same when TSLA started the production hell of the Model 3 and the title was undervalued. I still don’t get why he is comparing Tesla to other auto manufacturers with all the software, hardware, energy, insurance divisions of TSLA.

I hope Burry covered when it dropped below 600 several times recently. He must surely know he's not going to out-wait Tesla to the grave, he'll reach the grave first. But I guess it doesn't matter if he stops tweeting anyways, he was the last major loudmouthed short. Everyone else has covered or been blown out of their positions, so when Burry finally shuts the hell up there will finally be little more than the bleating of people like GordyJo and TSLAQ who mostly have zero skin in the game and are paid sock puppets by their many puppet masters.

Ok I watched it, I had watched it once before but really delved in more this evening. Yes they have some pretty smart people as part of the team, and it is exciting to see them try to get engineers working on the issue (this is sorely needed), but the real value at this point is that Elon is the only person actually capable of inspiring people to take it seriously.

I am someone who likes this research and subject, but I respectfully think they don’t have a serious group of researchers yet. My hope is that they will one day. There are some fantastic neuroscience researchers at the University of Texas. we need a Karpathy equivalent but in neuroscience and medicine and the problem is that person is going to be a weird mix of of a neurotologist and an academic. I love the idea and the mission of neuralink but they need to be building a wing of a major university and incredibly strong at basic research. I think the reason I care about neuralink being the weakest of Elon’s projects is because it’s the most important, and I don’t want it to be written off by real scientists that understand the challenge. I’m very thankful they are trying but want it not to suck or die an early death. Or worse, that it be associated with something like Theranos where engineers are tasked with solving a basic science question.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster