Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me put on my Gordon glasses.
"Tesla forced to discount charging due to lack of demand."
Tesla cut super charger price 20,000+ times in April alone. Their SuperCharger utilization is nowhere near 100%, clearly they are demand limited.
We also heard rumors in some regions they are cutting price everyday at 7:00PM, so it might be even worse than we thought.
/s

Elon’s GDP tweet directed to ARK / Cathie :

“What do you think of the unusually high ratio of S&P market cap to GDP?”

Cathie Wood’s tweeted responses to Elon’s GDP tweet:

GDP statistics evolved during the Industrial Age and do not seem to be keeping up with the digital age. Thanks to productivity, real GDP growth probably is higher and inflation lower than reported, suggesting that the quality of earnings has increased significantly.”

“After gestating for 20-30 years, the dream has turned into reality, but given the reactions to @ARKInvest’s research, many investors seem skeptical or reticent. This wall of worry is healthy: I would prefer to invest in the face of fear than exuberance!”

“One more thought: @ARKInvest believes that the massive amount of disruptive innovation and good deflation evolving today is causing creative destruction and bad deflation elsewhere.”

“Companies that did not innovate and instead leveraged up to buy back stock and distribute dividends to satisfy short-term oriented shareholders, including private equity, will pay a steep price. They will have to cut prices to move aging inventory and service debt. Bad deflation.”

“Investors need to get and stay on the right side of change.”

Last edited:
Cathie replied with a novel.

I'm still not sure if this is Elon setting a bear trap or what. Either way, tomorrow's gonna be interesting. I'm watching these CC's like a hawk, gonna buy them back the moment I turn a decent profit on them. There's something brewing and I'm not interested in eating assignment on CC's, as soon as IV droops I'm switching back to buying calls.
You and I have very different definitions of a novel. It wasn’t even a thread.
Personally I don’t plan on selling a single covered call before FSD and Tesla energy take off. Even if it means eating ramen noodles from now till then I’ll do it. After Tesla’s real valuation hits I’ll think you could strategically sell one Presplit (so 5 as of today) LEAP a year and live on it. Once the market wakes up and sees the writing on the wall and the adjustment happens selling CC will get a lot safer.

Here’s my innermost investment emotion (after two margaritas). If MMs can fabricate and sell unlimited numbers of fantasy shares, never to be covered, without consequences - why not? Why not keep TSLA range-bound indefinitely while reaping bucks from algo-reaped volatility? It’s not a coiled spring, it’s a slinky.

One more margarita will help.
We often speak the truth when drunk, I should know...

Nah, not new, they've been deploying these since 2014 (at least) as a quick solution. We had these in many locations in Europe at future SC locations during the permit and built process
I imagine it’s a case by case basis.
For remote and less trafficked locations this works well. Low station count but opens a lot of utility for outdoorsy people. Theoretically this is how rivian should do all their installs.

for Tesla the majority of their installs now are not niche but utility. Adding 50 stall stations in midways points has a lot more holiday utility. I love in the bay and NEVER use a supercharger. But I am aware that driving distances on three day weekends is a gamble. So while Tesla will do some of these prefab loads on a truck for off the beaten path locations I imagine the majority of the chargers are put on trucks packed shoulder to shoulder and cemented on site because for those situations the charger costs more than the localized concrete labor.
But the fact they have logistics people making these calculations is so awesome. Meanwhile last time I saw a non Tesla fast charger design the charging cable was comically long.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Gordon Johnson on Tesla, after Q1 2020 : "We look at a company that is barely growing. Plus tax credits that they are using to post profits will disappear next year."

Gordon Johnson on Tesla, after Q1 2021 : "We look at a company that is barely growing. Plus tax credits will disappear next year."

Going from 367K to 500K, $24billion to $31billion during the year of pandemic, lockdowns and factory shutdowns was "barely growing".

This year will be "extremely barely growing".

Fred at electrek is going full fledged narcissistic journalist blogger. I find him to be more and more insufferable.
You read Electrek? Why?? I find the headlines posted here from Curt sufficient to see what's passing, I would never actually go to the site any more...

Last edited:
You read Electrek? Why?? I find the headlines posted here from Curt sufficient to see what's passing, I would never actually go to the site any more...
For what it’s worth. Electrek was my go to source of Tesla news from whenever i started reading it until 2018ish. I learned a ton from electrek.

Fred’s clearly caved to ads and other income streams. But I wouldn’t be as involved in Tesla and wouldn’t be in the financial position that I am in today - a position I am beyond thankful for - if it wasn’t for electrek.

He’s done far more good for the EV transition in the last decade than any harm he could ever do. Just leave him alone.

For what it’s worth. Electrek was my go to source of Tesla news from whenever i started reading it until 2018ish. I learned a ton from electrek.

Fred’s clearly caved to ads and other income streams. But I wouldn’t be as involved in Tesla and wouldn’t be in the financial position that I am in today - a position I am beyond thankful for - if it wasn’t for electrek.

He’s done far more good for the EV transition in the last decade than any harm he could ever do. Just leave him alone.
Same here, I read it regularly and Fred was present here a lot as well, but he has a few run-ins with Tesla and Elon, which turned him negative and shortly after that he started with the click-bait headlines, big shame

Edit: actually, for a while there was a "thou shalt not discuss Fred" rule here, so maybe we stop it there.

TL; DR: Tesla is introducing a night time supercharging discount to help increase supercharging capacity in California. You get 50% off if you charge at night.

Tesla's describes it in their in-app message like this:

"Avoid the rush and save 50% on your charging fees before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m. at all Superchargers in California’s major metro areas. For specific rates and eligible sites, tap the Supercharger map pin on your in-car touchscreen."

In regions (and especially at sites) with a mix of v2 and v3 (250 kW) superchargers, I would not mind paying a premium for using (i.e. for reduced risk of waiting at) the v3 stalls versus the slower ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: saniflash

At the very end of the video, Rob requests folks who think they have specific skills that could be valuable to his channel to drop him an email. Some folks on TMC are very knowlegable on financials, battery tech, FSD tech, delivery estimates, alcohol consumption, etc. I’ve always seen Rob as a solid guy and would encourage those with the appropriate skills to consider contributing to his effort.

ame here, I read it regularly and Fred was present here a lot as well, but he has a few run-ins with Tesla and Elon, which turned him negative and shortly after that he started with the click-bait headlines, big shame

Edit: actually, for a while there was a "thou shalt not discuss Fred" rule here, so maybe we stop it there.
Just follow the money to see what Electrek is trying to do.

Main sponsor of Electrek is EA - Electrify America. And EA is fully owned by VW. So, in other words, Volkswagen is sponsoring Fred.

Did you wonder why?

EA (Wolkswagen) is also sponsoring "Insideevs" and "E for Electric". Both are known anti-tesla sites. "InsideVWs" is a more appropriate name for the site if you look at the content.

Fred is just smarter than the others, but he is anti-tesla for sure.