Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As investors we shouldn't even care about that either. People in my own industry (games) often make this mistake too. What matters is profits, or more accurately, return on investment. Its no achievement to sell a load of super-high price cars if you are happy to over-spec and market them and sell them at a loss.
For a mature company, yes return on investment is key. And probably for gaming as well since it is harder to leverage a gaming sales hit into multiple gaming sales hits, so you want to make money from the hits.

For growth companies that have sticky customers (think SaaS, or in Tesla’s case, brand loyalty, Superchargers and FSD), $ sales is the key, assuming you aren’t losing too much money. If you buy revenue with expensive marketing and are going to blow through your cash pile within a few years, that’s bad. But if you are growing revenue quickly while running close to break even and/or have the ability to keep raising tons of capital, then as long as those sales $ keep exponentially ramping, you’re golden.

Last edited:
That was a truly disappointing MMD. It's like their hearts are just not in it.
and I have a buy order for 4 more at $679.84... Well, maybe another day this week.

BTW, I read somewhere that another 5:1 stock dividend is imminent
/s
You have to link to the comment from outside to convince the Algos /s

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes

Consolidated Last Sale$691.75 +0.70 (+0.10%)
Pre-Market Volume364,422
Pre-Market High$695.34 (08:05:32 AM)
Pre-Market Low$689.56 (04:18:59 AM)

Low volume in the pre-market (ez2manip)... then the Open was $690.30

Jolly jokers :p
And it continues in main market...

1617719085133.png

This ranks somewhere in the top 3 or 4 all-time instances of shock with a lack of TSLA movement. Guess I'm gonna have to be satisfied with 3x calls this week and double down yet again. This is getting absurd.

Probably wise to target post-earnings expirations just in case the implications of P&D truly never sink in. May 19 probably a good date.

Edit: Pardon me, May 21

This is true. Any successful blockchain implementation would need the reimplementation of the uptick rule for short sales AND the retraction of the market maker (Madoff) exception. It would also require the digitization of the shares of all public companies' shares.
Well, I think this is already done digitally by Tesla's Stock Transfer Agent (Computershare Trust Company of Canton, MA). Without knowing the details, I think NFTs could be implemented as another layer of holdings/distribution accounting at that level.

The implemention would need brokers to provide retail investors with an independant means to verify that they actually hold the shares, marked uniquely with them as "beneficial owner". No cheating allowed.

That is the principle that was violated back in early Sep 2020, when numerous retail brokers could not provide the dividend shares to their customers. Most brokers held large numbers of phantom shares, created thru a tangle of naked shorts, FTDs, false locates, and perpetual rolling).

But when the Stock Transfer Agent delivered only the portion of new shares they were due, those cheating brokers were caught out. It took days for some retail investors to get their rightfully owned dividend shares, and only then because Tesla 'rescued' those brokers with a $5B Cap raise (thereby making more shares available for brokers to purchase). All the shares sold within hours (go figure).

The result was TSLA was up over 80% from Aug 11 to Sep 01, all the while CNBS was telling retail that "stock splits don't affect the stock". While that might be narrowly true in Court, the share dividend definately affected the brokers!

3rd party audits should be supported with anonymous total holdings made publicly viewable to make fraud obvious when the numbers don't match up.. I'm sure somebody is working on this use for block chain. It would be like 'gentrifying Mordor'; Wall St. will be pissed. :p

TL;dr "When the music stopped, the cheaters didn't have enough chairs"

Cheers!

Last edited:
This ranks somewhere in the top 3 or 4 all-time instances of shock with a lack of TSLA movement. Guess I'm gonna have to be satisfied with 3x calls this week and double down yet again. This is getting absurd.

Probably wise to target post-earnings expirations just in case the implications of P&D truly never sink in. May 19 probably a good date.

it's typically taken a week or two for the market to get out of denial mode after blowout quarterly numbers. the pattern's been the same every time for the last year or so -- big runup in the after-hours immediately following the report (which we didn't get this time due to Easter break), followed by an almost total walkdown over the next day, followed by a week or two of malaise, followed eventually by a strong linear runup as the obvious becomes increasingly difficult to deny.

I imagine it’s a case by case basis.
For remote and less trafficked locations this works well. Low station count but opens a lot of utility for outdoorsy people. Theoretically this is how rivian should do all their installs.

for Tesla the majority of their installs now are not niche but utility. Adding 50 stall stations in midways points has a lot more holiday utility. I love in the bay and NEVER use a supercharger. But I am aware that driving distances on three day weekends is a gamble. So while Tesla will do some of these prefab loads on a truck for off the beaten path locations I imagine the majority of the chargers are put on trucks packed shoulder to shoulder and cemented on site because for those situations the charger costs more than the localized concrete labor.
But the fact they have logistics people making these calculations is so awesome. Meanwhile last time I saw a non Tesla fast charger design the charging cable was comically long.

I think that's a good analysis. When I initially read about the pre-cast charging pads it made no sense to me unless a couple of days speedier install was more important than total cost. But then I realized a remote area could be far enough from a concrete batching plant that the costs can increase rather dramatically, In really remote areas the concrete, even with retarders added, might begin to harden before the truck can be washed down.

I, too, am comforted by the fact that Tesla's innovation and attention to cost details don't stop at the factory gates.

For those of us in the UK, today is the first trading day of the tax year. That means that by opening today our brokers will load our ISA accounts with a GBP 20k annual ISA (tax) allowance (i.e. mine opened this morning with it loaded). So many of us will have sold GBP 20k of TSLA in our trading accounts this morning, and will then have to wait 2-days for settlement to take place before we can transfer the cash into the ISA and rebuy, either late Thursday or on Friday.

Bottom line, anybody in the UK doing it in this fashion probably wants the share price to be as flat as possible all of this week. Unless of course they are adopting a different TR>ISA transfer strategy ..........

So, please minimise the excitements this week.

I've been a little puzzled as well. Perhaps below-expectation delivery numbers weren't priced in, and the stock price going into Friday was primed to sell the news. Instead, we've just floated upward a little bit. Also, the lack of S/X in the mix might be causing hesitation going into earnings since those are historically Tesla's highest margin vehicles. Investors might also be concerned about S/X production delays dragging out into Q2, and are waiting for confirmation on when S/X resume deliveries.

I can't help but wonder if Jerome's move to Semi and the S/X production issues are related. I know that's practically heretical to say on this forum.