Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two green days in a row, hell, that's something, no?
Not impressed.
0BFAA55C-C731-49EF-8F44-3F242D38A4EC.jpeg

Kinda feels like the market is currently in the "Denial" stage. Denying that Tesla really has a lead, and feeling the hubris that anyone can just come in and destroy them. It might take a little while for everyone to realize that VW and GM can pretend to be Tesla, but that doesn't make them Tesla.

I don't know about that - The market is awarding Tesla a $663 Billion market cap, which is ~10x the value of most of the incumbents (and higher than all of them combined IIRC). To me that signals that the market is not in the "denial" stage about Teslas lead at all, and in fact is very optimistic about Teslas future. It's just that the markets collective very optimistic view of Tesla is quite a bit less than the uber optimism of Tesla bulls.

Everyone with half a brain cell knows the intent of the Infrastructure Bill. Grow up.
Or, those with the other half of that brain cell might start saying "USA" or "United States of America" instead of assuming "everyone" knows that one childishly excludes most of the Americas when using the term America to only describe the USA. This is precisely the reasoning that led to the term "Ugly American" being coined.

I can confirm this is true for my new model S. Email today from Tesla confirmed best case is June (for Toronto). Non-plaid.
So no S or X for Q2, which means how this quarter goes, so does the next in terms of the bottom line. The only ‘surprise’ could be Troy miscalculates P&D again. I’m fine with him bungling to the same side as this quarter.

Edit: Scratch that. S at least for some US customers this quarter.

Last edited:
Or, those with the other half of that brain cell might start saying "USA" or "United States of America" instead of assuming "everyone" knows that one childishly excludes most of the Americas when using the term America to only describe the USA. This is precisely the reasoning that led to the term "Ugly American" being coined.
Complain to Joe Biden. It's his proposal. I can get you his address if you want.

So no S or X for Q2, which means how this quarter goes, so does the next in terms of the bottom line. The only ‘surprise’ could be Troy miscalculates P&D again. I’m fine with him bungling to the same side as this quarter.

I think it's way too early to call no S/X for this quarter.

While I don't doubt the delivery estimate for your Model S, something would have to be very, very wrong if deliveries aren't starting until June for any location. Would be a mini-disaster on Tesla's part when it comes to executing their business to have production lines down and no deliveries for 6 months of the new S/X. Obviously S/X don't mean nearly as much to revenue and profit anymore, but still.....it would be a pretty big black eye.
Not a disaster or a black eye. You and the rest of the world are about to find out that Tesla never has to make another S or X again and they’ll be fine. That’s an important detail to know.

You’d rather they drop a vehicle on the market that isn’t right (for whatever reason) and then have to read all the negative headlines? Yeah, me either.

Take your time Tesla and blow customer’s socks off.

First, he didn't use the term "America". Second, what other country refers to their citizens as "American"?

Ok Ok....how about "merica" then?

Not a disaster or a black eye. You and the rest of the world are about to find out that Tesla never has to make another S or X again and they’ll be fine. That’s an important detail to know.

You’d rather they drop a vehicle on the market that isn’t right (for whatever reason) and then have to read all the negative headlines? Yeah, me either.

Take your time Tesla and blow customer’s socks off.

When I say mini-disaster/black eye, I'm talking in the context of execution of the company in relation to how efficient they're launching products , which does have implications about how the company is viewed when it comes to the upcoming Semi and Cybertruck launch by Wall St. Not talking financial implications. I actually think margins will hold steady and I think there's a decent chance of margins improving QoQ for a number of reason that I won't bother to list out here.

Like you said, Q1 is going to give us great insight into the direct impact of 3/Y which I think will surprise a lot on Wall St with the margins. I think there's a bit of misplaced assumption/view that the S/X make much higher margin than the 3/Y. However throughout the course of 2020, they dropped the prices of the S/X a lot more percentage-wise than they did the 3. Now combine that with China making up a larger part of production and sales and the Y overall making up more of the share and I think we have very strong Q1 earnings. I'm also very....very curious to see how Giga presses at full volume improves margins.

I still think most of the hold up with the S/X could be simply software related. We had that video come out of a refreshed S running V11 (I think that's the correct numbered version of the rumored upcoming big software update), including specific elements to the no stalk wheel which means any new S/X have to be running that newer version of the software.

Ok Ok....how about "merica" then?
If we just changed it to Bubbaville that would sum it up quite well. :rolleyes:

The reason this fine point gets my support is because I've been called out several times over the years for using the term American as exclusive to the citizens of the USA while traveling in Latin America, and, for using the term United States when traveling in Mexico (Estados Unidos de Mexico). I was educated in embarrassment as I realized how others are offended by our usurpation of terms that apply to many other people and to other places. It is disrespectful to marginalize these others who fall under such terms, isn't it?

I'm not surprised by the push back from those here in the USA over this. Just a little disappointed.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled stonk talk.

I still think most of the hold up with the S/X could be simply software related. We had that video come out of a refreshed S running V11 (I think that's the correct numbered version of the rumored upcoming big software update), including specific elements to the no stalk wheel which means any new S/X have to be running that newer version of the software.
If it was software related why wouldn't they just start producing cars and park them somewhere until the software was ready? They are clearly not.

Reactions: saniflash
If we just changed it to Bubbaville that would sum it up quite well. :rolleyes:

The reason this fine point gets my support is because I've been called out several times over the years for using the term American as exclusive to the citizens of the USA while traveling in Latin America, and, for using the term United States when traveling in Mexico (Estados Unidos de Mexico). I was educated in embarrassment as I realized how others are offended by our usurpation of terms that apply to many other people and to other places. It is disrespectful to marginalize these others who fall under such terms, isn't it?

I'm not surprised by the push back from those here in the USA over this. Just a little disappointed.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled stonk talk.
Sigh...history and religion .....are two subjects not understood...or taught very well in the USA.
While not a expect in either.... I am aware that the subject matter is rife with.....um...error's.

Can someone tell me how a Hedge fund or other well endowed investor, might try to push the stock up or down in last 2 min? Is this coincidence... or are large groups buying up every ask or selling a ton in the last min? Seems to make sense if someone is trying to control the narrative and make things go red or green at end of trading day.
Possibly germane, there exists a stock trade order type called "market on close" --
here are the rough mechanics and motivation, courtesy Investopedia: Market-On-Close (MOC) Order Definition

• Love
Reactions: buttershrimp
~~~I have responded to the following set of posts with an in-post edit, but in order to capture the views of those who don't go back to a post from much earlier today, here it is again. All: read and heed, please:~~~
I think we can all decide on our own what is funny, and not funny, without moderation help. That is why they make a zillion ice cream flavors, different strokes, different folks. As for a 'bot' picking it up and running with it, well so what? One could argue that disinformation helps out the long-term investor, allowing to accumulate more shares, while the truth ultimately will prevail. This is especially true, now that Tesla is far beyond the risk of bankruptcy.

Last edited:
If it was software related why wouldn't they just start producing cars and park them somewhere until the software was ready? They are clearly not.

Well.....we have seen some production of the new S come out, though it was pretty small number ( I think the count was like less than 150 of them when the video of Fremont was taken). That was like 3-4 weeks ago. Unless someone is actively out at Fremont every day, we don't know if some are being produced or not. They purposely didn't count those as produced though because they don't want the costs associated with making the vehicle to hit them in Q1 when they're not delivering any. So there's financial reason to not produce the cars when they know they can't sell them until the next quarter.

But it doesn't change the fact of what I was saying about the software. There was direct evidence that the functionality of the new S/X with no stalk is tied to using the software to put in drive/reverse, and that thus the new S/X and a new version of the main OS/software are tied together. Now the hold up could be something else and the software is ready to go, I would have no clue.