Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR: Motor Trend chooses the Model Y over the Maché.

For FUDs sake! that Inside EVs summary is absolutely dripping with thinly veiled contempt for Tesla.

I also note the author of that post has another post up today that paints the proposed US EV tax credit change as somehow possibly BAD FOR TESLA. lol.

What a buffoon.

Really lost a lot of respect for InsideEVs now, won't bother visiting that site again.

A lot of posts talking about whether or not Tesla should raise prices or keep them steady once US tax credit kicks in.

I would like to point out that in this situation Tesla can very easily increase the ASP of cars sold in the USA without changing the pricing of cars by a single penny.

They can do this purely by changing the mix of vehicles produced. So the obvious move would be to produce less SR+ models and make more LR & Performance models. What that would do is increase wait times for the SR models significantly, and drive more people to the LR/P models, thereby increasing the overall ASP of vehicles sold.

Once Tesla has Austin ramped up to the level that it can now meet US demand for LR/P Y models, they can start introducing SR Y supply. The ASP would drop, but the overall revenue would of course jump much higher, and economies of scale would help preserve margin.
This is a very rational approach and given the demand matrix, can be easily accomplished.

Btw given the Tesla trading action.........I'm really, really hoping Elon's timetable for V9 FSD and Subscription model is dead on. That would mean a V9/Sub model release in 2-3 weeks. Just in time for earnings. I'll forget all the other missed timelines if ya just make this one happen Elon ;)

That is the combined event that I'm looking forward to also. It will start the 2021 fireworks and Cybertruck and Semi will carry it on. The roadster is the cherry that may or may not arrive this year.

There is likely some serious arm-wrestling going on behind the scenes. I’ve no doubt that the German legacy automakers and related interests would love to see Job #1 at GigaBerlin delayed as long as possible (even at the oh so high price of German bureaucrats losing face ;)).
All they need to do is have Elon tweet a few subtle taunts about how Austin factory going to come online before Berlin despite large head start.

LFP 4680 batteries a misunderstood game changer ? No idea how reliable Tesla Economist is, compared to, say The LimitingFactor. Definitely plausible, the unknown issue is how close Tesla is from implementing the LFP chemistry in the 4680 cell format. Currently the LFP is produced in battery pouches /prismatic , which clearly are not easy to heat up as the cylindrical 4680 would be.

Knowing from IRIA's presentations the current deployment of Giga Presses for 2021, if the 4680 cells are also ready for production this year, it presages huge 2022 production/ profit increases. Would WS et all still be able to bottle down the SP?

The whole battery tech area is now like a big poker game, where Tesla has the biggest pot going. Hopefully Elon keeps enough time for Tesla, what with the SN developments blasting off all the time.

1617920862512.png

Last edited:
That is the combined event that I'm looking forward to also. It will start the 2021 fireworks and Cybertruck and Semi will carry it on. The roadster is the cherry that may or may not arrive this year.
I predict a $100 jump the week FSD subscription is announced. At least if it's at a reasonable price point.

The electric brick!

It is possible to jump the 12-volt battery, just as you would jump-start an internal combustion car. But it’s not nearly as straightforward, especially because the battery is located behind the Mustang Mach-E’s front trunk, and the hood’s electronic latch is powered by the low-voltage battery.

IT’S POSSIBLE TO JUMP-START THE MUSTANG MACH-E, BUT IT’S NOT EASY
To first open the front trunk then, owners have to open a panel in the front bumper that contains two leads, which can be used to jump the front trunk’s electronic hood latch. Then they have to pull back a panel underneath the hood to find the battery — though even at this point, some owners have had trouble accessing the leads on the 12-volt battery and have cut through the vinyl to more easily jump-start the battery.

Oh. Em. Gee.

Teslarati - today: Tesla Deliveries Surge in Japan

Excerpt:

Japan has been a rather elusive market for Tesla, with the company only selling 44 cars in March 2020, as per data from the Japan Automobile Importers Association. This year, Tesla’s sales jumped to 588 units, a 1,300% year-over-year increase. This effectively made Tesla one of Japan’s most popular foreign brands, just behind Fiat (739 units) and Land Rover (689 units).

Who is this guy and what has he done with the real Adam 😂
He makes a great point about comparing the other EV manufacturers and their ICE divisions that are the thorn in their toxic side and how do they get rid of that part.
AJ is my favorite punching bag, He has been all over the place in recent years re TSLA. However, during this Bloomberg interview, he is strikingly close to the bullseye.

Neither interviewer gets Tesla at all, but they ask legit questions from their vantagepoint that AJ handles reasonably well.

I predict a $100 jump the week FSD subscription is announced. At least if it's at a reasonable price point.
That's the rub. What is reasonable? Too cheap and it blows up Tesla's ability to sell the full package (and pisses off people who paid 4-10k for it). Too expensive and nobody cares.

I think it's possible that the subscription will be limited in some way, maybe just no ability to use it as a Robotaxi but that brings up other issues.

AJ is my favorite punching bag, He has been all over the place in recent years re TSLA. However, during this Bloomberg interview, he is strikingly close to the bullseye.

Neither interviewer gets Tesla at all, but they ask legit questions from their vantagepoint that AJ handles reasonably well.
We have to ask ourselves, is our analysts learning? AJ seems like he is.

He makes a great point about comparing the other EV manufacturers and their ICE divisions that are the thorn in their toxic side and how do they get rid of that part.

Still only 480 views on YouTube. That's this forum right?

Teslarati - today: Tesla Deliveries Surge in Japan

Excerpt:

Japan has been a rather elusive market for Tesla, with the company only selling 44 cars in March 2020, as per data from the Japan Automobile Importers Association. This year, Tesla’s sales jumped to 588 units, a 1,300% year-over-year increase. This effectively made Tesla one of Japan’s most popular foreign brands, just behind Fiat (739 units) and Land Rover (689 units).
Still barely a drop in the bucket in the worlds 4th largest car market by volume, and a country of 125 million people. For context it's only a little over double the amount of Teslas that were sold in New Zealand during March (A country which has no EV incentives and only 5 million people). Good to see it in comparison to other foreign brands though.

AJ literally is calling MS to get him off covering Tesla and have the tech guys do it. He feels like a fish out of water and knows it.

That's the rub. What is reasonable? Too cheap and it blows up Tesla's ability to sell the full package (and pisses off people who paid 4-10k for it). Too expensive and nobody cares.

I think it's possible that the subscription will be limited in some way, maybe just no ability to use it as a Robotaxi but that brings up other issues.

We have to ask ourselves, is our analysts learning? AJ seems like he is.
Too expensive and we get a uptick in FSD full price purchasers who are waiting for the subscription. But the tech has to be good and safe.

Anyways, people are paying about $186/month for FSD at 10k over 5 years. So 99 dollars is on the cheap end and 149 is probably max. However, it may be 199/month due to this being the only FSD you can take with you to another car..sort of....

Reactions: ByeByeJohnny
Too expensive and we get a uptick in FSD full price purchasers who are waiting for the subscription. But the tech has to be good and safe.

Anyways, people are paying about $186/month for FSD at 10k over 5 years. So 99 dollars is on the cheap end and 149 is probably max. However, it may be 199/month due to this being the only FSD you can take with you to another car..sort of....
I think $200 is about right. $10k is a lot extra to finance.
This will happen, but most of the braking on a logging truck descending mountain roads happens on the trailer. So, Tesla will have to develop regen units for semi-trailers for each segment of the trucking industry to take full advantage of regen energy. I would guess they will start doing this a couple of years after they start delivering semi-tractors in volume.
Seems inevitable. Why not have a drive unit or so in the trailer for that purpose? Collect regen, and provide a boost uphill if needed. Separate battery pack optional depending on the need.

Finally AJ is up to date with TMC point of view. ;) The answer has been here in plain sight for years.