Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For FUDs sake! that Inside EVs summary is absolutely dripping with thinly veiled contempt for Tesla.

I also note the author of that post has another post up today that paints the proposed US EV tax credit change as somehow possibly BAD FOR TESLA. lol.

What a buffoon.

Really lost a lot of respect for InsideEVs now, won't bother visiting that site again.
Steven Loveday has been writing articles about "Green" vehicles for at least 10 years. Long before InsideEVs (IEVs), he was writing for "Autoblog Green". His content was crap back then and it's crap now. I have no idea how he stays employed. (Edit - I see that somehow he's Editor in Chief and what appears to be his brother is Director of Communications - so no surprise)

IEVs went downhill the moment that the original owner, Jay Cole sold it to Motor1. Jay provided excellent reporting and IEVs monthly sales scorecards were the best. It's clear that they are simply milking the site for ad revenue above all else. I used to visit the site daily, but haven't done so for years.

People give Fred and Electrek a hard time, and for sure some of his articles miss the mark - often because I think the articles are rushed out without enough QA. But it's clear that most of Electrek's articles are much more opinion based. Compared to all the very clearly fan-based Tesla news sites, Electrek at least gives Tesla a hard time when they do deserve it.

Will be interesting to see who’s side the Biden administration takes on this one.

TLDR: Biden has the ability to ignore LG's allegation and winnable case against Georgia built SK battery plant due to IP theft. The court is ruling in LG's favor due to SK destroying so much evidence. Biden has the ability to ignore the ruling for the sake of his clean energy agenda. Many are lobbying within congress to have this happen or else SK will need to shut down their construction in Georgia which means thousands of jobs. Decision must be made this Saturday.

Don't worry Biden, China is rooting for you to ignore IP theft and let it through...yes...now you now the full power of the dark side!

Seriously though, Elon said it best. Stop being a little b%#tch and increase the pace of innovation.

LFP 4680 batteries a misunderstood game changer ? No idea how reliable Tesla Economist is, compared to, say The LimitingFactor. Definitely plausible, the unknown issue is how close Tesla is from implementing the LFP chemistry in the 4680 cell format. Currently the LFP is produced in battery pouches /prismatic , which clearly are not easy to heat up as the cylindrical 4680 would be.

Knowing from IRIA's presentations the current deployment of Giga Presses for 2021, if the 4680 cells are also ready for production this year, it presages huge 2022 production/ profit increases. Would WS et all still be able to bottle down the SP?

The whole battery tech area is now like a big poker game, where Tesla has the biggest pot going. Hopefully Elon keeps enough time for Tesla, what with the SN developments blasting off all the time.

View attachment 652187

I think LFP is big, in terms of allow rapid growth of all cell constrained parts of the business, particularly:- Energy Storage, Robo-taxis.

For the same reasons in terms of accelerating the mission LFP is big.

Just today I was thinking swappable LFP batteries are a good fit for farm and earth moving equipment.

There are lots of applications when cost and longevity are more important than range and weight.

Nice to see a bit of FOMO as the After-hrs session concluded. :D

TSLA.chart.2021-04-08.png

Cheers!

I think LFP is big, in terms of allow rapid growth of all cell constrained parts of the business, particularly:- Energy Storage, Robo-taxis.

For the same reasons in terms of accelerating the mission LFP is big.

Just today I was thinking swappable LFP batteries are a good fit for farm and earth moving equipment.

There are lots of applications when cost and longevity are more important than range and weight.
Agreed - the video mentioned earlier has more to do with the immediate /possibly surprise effect LFP in 4680's will have on car production in the near (2022) future, but yes, LFP definitely will be big when energy density is not super important - for all trucks /buses doing regular routes with a defined stop area where batteries can be swapped OR recharged (school buses, until they get replaced by multiple self driving vans). From a TSLA investing POV it does feel good putting your assets to good use, even tho the temptation/ lust for mo' trading profits isn't easy to achieve ; )

Last edited:
I hope there is language in the bill that makes it clear that automakers are not to increase their EV prices once the incentives are in place.
Nice thought but very hard to enforce as the ‘baseline’ is a moving target. Particularly given Tesla’s unrelenting persistence for refinements and features added to models.

Reactions: StealthP3D