Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That just seems nuts to me.

LIDAR is useless because it can't provide any data you can't already get with vision.

Radar absolutely can provide data, in several different ways, that vision can not provide including not just the bounce under cars thing but things like being able to see through fog and other visual obscurations.

(Yes I know humans drive without radar, but they drive without ultrasonics and cameras in the back of their head too- the point of this is to make a system that drives way BETTER than humans- lidar doesn't add anything to that goal, but radar does)
In order to argue that radar + vision is safer, you need to demonstrate that the benefit of the radar is greater than the loss in vision processing capability from losing compute cycles to process the radar.

Would love to see your math on this.

"The government won't let them upgrade after sale."?? What is the difference between upgraded tires, window tint, protective paint film or unlocking a higher range battery. None whatsoever. Would the government send inspectors to your home to verify your Tesla battery size every year. How is your comment even plausible?

We don't know why for sure, but Tesla does not, and has never, offered a unlock of the SR- to SR or SR+. Rumor is that it was part of an agreement with the Canadian Government to allow the SR- to qualify for the credit, which allows the SR+ to also qualify for the credit.

In the US they offer an unlock from SR to SR+. So it makes sense that they would offer the unlock for the SR- if they could. (People have already said that they would pay to unlock it if they could, but Tesla refuses.)

Hi folks,

It was a very quiet trading day today, in spite of being an Options expiry Friday:
  • Lowest Intraday SP range since 2021-01-21 (MMs positioned for Max Pain on Wed)
  • Lowest FINRA/NASDAQ since 2021-01-21 (mostly MMs + HFTs trading today)
  • Lowest Trading dollar value day since 2021-02-18 (Daytraders looking elsewhere)
  • Lowest FINRA volume since 2021-03-03 (Retail is already positioned for Earnings)
  • Highest Short/FINRA ratio since 2021-03-12 (mainly shortzes as retail traders)
My take on this quiet period is that "the Hall is rented, the Orchester engaged, now it's time for the Diva to take the stage".

Mon, Apr 26, 2021 is the date for earnings. Do you think this messes with Options contracts for the 3rd and 4th Fridays? Lot's of folks were counting on having Q1 results by then. :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
"The government won't let them upgrade after sale."?? What is the difference between upgraded tires, window tint, protective paint film or unlocking a higher range battery. None whatsoever. Would the government send inspectors to your home to verify your Tesla battery size every year. How is your comment even plausible?
You ever heard of this little thing called sales tax? You think the government won’t know what’s being sold? Next time you can also do a little research first 😉

1618007837573.png

Edit: Please find one example of an SR being upgraded in Canada. When you can’t find any, come back and explain WHY Tesla wouldn’t sell such an upgrade if they could. I guess they just have so much cash now that they don’t care? I’ll wait....

Last edited:
In order to argue that radar + vision is safer, you need to demonstrate that the benefit of the radar is greater than the loss in vision processing capability from losing compute cycles to process the radar.

No, you don't.
There are some special cases where the radar pre processing can be self contained - specifically the under vehicle reflection of two cars forward.

Wait... Tesla designed the FSD computer.

Are you saying they, knowing at the time of design it was going to need to have enough cycles to process both radar and vision- somehow failed to design a system capable of doing both without starving either?

I'd really love to see your math on THAT :)

I don't believe Tesla would remove a $100 device just to save some bucks - a possible explanation is that radar input is confusing rather than helping the NN vision based conclusions, and it may have taken that long to figure out because it took time to assemble enough evidence from all the corner cases. By definition rare, and the benefit of radar in normal cases isn't enough to justify the troubles it causes in corner cases. Pure speculation of course. Based on my personal NNN (Natural Neural Network) trying to figure out Tesla's decisions on their NN LOL

In that situation why not just have the NNs ignore the radars input EXCEPT when it's reporting on things impossible for the cameras to see.

The cameras know when it's a clear day, and the thing the radar is sending back is a bounce off an overpass that the road gradient is making seem like it's in their path but the cameras make clear it isn't- so it can ignore that input. But by the same token-

The cameras know when they can't see beyond a car in front of them.... so if radar reports a stopped or unexpectedly braking vehicle ahead of that one blocking their view- they use that info. Otherwise it's not needed.

The cameras know when fog or snow are obscuring vision... so if radar reports stuff beyond what the cameras can see in fog they use that info. Otherwise it's not needed.

I agree radar should not be a PRIMARY sensor as it was originally on AP2. But it absolutely provides info vision can't as a secondary one.

Misses the point. Heavy rain, which you described as needing to slow down or even pull over, is not an issue with a properly treated windshield, AutoPilot, radar, FSD or not.

If I can see every detail of the road and traffic in the heaviest of rain, so can a Tesla with cameras only.

Edit: @Knightshade also missed the point...

Except I just quoted you Tesla themselves saying that when you made that video the primary sensor AP was using was...radar.

So it wouldn't have cared if the camera could see perfectly or not.

They've since moved to vision being primary... (and now suggest they'll be moving to vision being the ONLY one, apart from the ultrasonics)

TODAY in fairly moderate rain I sometimes get NoA disabling itself because of the impact the rain has on cameras not being cleared.[/B]

Reactions: saniflash
Misses the point. Heavy rain, which you described as needing to slow down or even pull over, is not an issue with a properly treated windshield, AutoPilot, radar, FSD or not.

If I can see every detail of the road and traffic in the heaviest of rain, so can a Tesla with cameras only.

Edit: @Knightshade also missed the point...
I think you missed the point. You can't see every detail on the road which is the problem with thick rain and us human drivers in thick rain makes plenty of best guesses of what might be happening, piecing together what we can see therefore putting ourselves in a dangerous situation just so we can get to our destination without having to stop. Unless the camera is seeing a spectrum us humans can't, the camera is not better than our eyes. We have way better dynamic range and higher definition than Tesla cameras...but lets say the camera sees exactly at my capabilities, it's still unsafe during thick rain situations because it's unsafe when we humans drive through it.

Am I really the only one that doesn't find "Guy drives you 35 mph max through a 1-lane tunnel" especially futuristic or mind blowing?

It'll be a cool way for millions of folks to see/touch/ride in the cars- that absolutely will have a lot of value... but the actual tunnel trip is unlikely to blow a significant number of minds.

This might improve once they're not using a human driver- but even then it's slow speed on a fixed, unbroken, route.

Much more interesting is they're still reporting there'll be Tesla-built 16-passenger transports used in the system- which AFAIK is a product that does not currently exist.... Elon has talked about eventually wanting to do vans or something, but I'm unaware of anything actively in the pipeline.
Ok, let's spice it up then. Paint murals in the tunnel to describe the Tesla Story. If you go one way, it is the future, the other way is the past. Back and forth, back and forth, ICE/BEV, Dinosaurs/Rockets... maybe something clicks? FUTURE --->> This way ;)

I'm a bit with you, more worried about my rims touching than that "Time Tunnel." Ha! Anyone remember that show? We are in one now! Spiral lines, heck paint it that pattern, then spin it! It is Vegas...

Weekend OT:

Given the interest here in robotics, investing, and beer, perhaps we can form a SPAC* for the tech in this video. :D /s

Notice the use of cameras with no lidar, radar, or ultrasonics. There are probably some lessons here—darned if I know what they are tho. ;)

As my son who sent me this said “We are such an innovative species." Given the role beer played in the establishment of human civilization, we could be looking at the next leg up for our species. 😆

*Silly Personal Autonomy Caper

Except I just quoted you Tesla themselves saying that when you made that video the primary sensor AP was using was...radar.

So it wouldn't have cared if the camera could see perfectly or not.

They've since moved to vision being primary... (and now suggest they'll be moving to vision being the ONLY one, apart from the ultrasonics)

TODAY in fairly moderate rain I sometimes get NoA disabling itself because of the impact the rain has on cameras not being cleared.[/B]
I believe that you’re not dense, so ill rephrase it for you.

Forget radar and a camera only based system, okay? My orig point in that 3 year old post was it doesn’t matter how hard it’s raining. A properly treated windshield allows a person to see just fine at speed. If a person can see to drive, so can a vision only system in the hardest rain.

So many posts arguing whether radar is needed, helpful, a hindrance.

I don't understand the science behind all of this to have a strong opinion. But I know someone who does. And I trust him to decide.
Might be getting the attribution wrong, but today's Teslas will brake if the car in front of you is about to drive into a slower car in front. Tesla has said that the radar can sense a differential closing velocity between the reflection off the car in front and the reflection coming from underneath the car in front.

I don't see how cameras as located today can do that.

I think you missed the point. You can't see every detail on the road which is the problem with thick rain and us human drivers in thick rain makes plenty of best guesses of what might be happening, piecing together what we can see therefore putting ourselves in a dangerous situation just so we can get to our destination without having to stop.
Wrong. Yes, I can, and at highway speeds, even when people are pulled over with their hazards on because they haven’t taken time to learn how to drive in heavy rain.

My last post on this, as I’m going back to ignoring some here.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
Well, looks like Alaska is the last state to get super chargers (real ones, not those Larry Ellison's private island).

Oahu seems to be getting 12 stalls in a parking garage. Seems like legit super chargers. I'm very excited for all the long distance trips I can take now. 🤣

Have they tested this during crazy FL rain storms because I probably need a Radar when I can't see nothing out of my windshield unless I drive way under the speed limit. It's like a flood coming from the sky. Fills up my pool in like 15 mins where it would take a hose 3 hours
Fla? Um... you sure that wasn't a hurricane?

• Funny
Reactions: Thekiwi