Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has the smell of FUD about it:

"In a rare interview, Panasonic's EV battery boss provided a glimpse of the company's response to the larger battery cells promoted by client Tesla. Speaking to Bloomberg, Yasuaki Takamoto said bigger cells are the key to affordable electric cars, but indicated he's not convinced by Tesla's proposed cell format."

Aslo perplexing as to why a Tesla "partner" is speaking publicly like this.

This has the smell of FUD about it:

"In a rare interview, Panasonic's EV battery boss provided a glimpse of the company's response to the larger battery cells promoted by client Tesla. Speaking to Bloomberg, Yasuaki Takamoto said bigger cells are the key to affordable electric cars, but indicated he's not convinced by Tesla's proposed cell format."

Aslo perplexing as to why a Tesla "partner" is speaking publicly like this.

Panasonic are speaking like a jilted lover, but who still love Tesla to some degree. They went from being closely intertwined in marriage of all of Tesla's battery production, but now is becoming just a side-piece with Tesla increasingly incorporating other cell suppliers and also going solo for battery production being the main goal in future.

Panasonic are speaking like a jilted lover, but who still love Tesla to some degree. They went from being closely intertwined in marriage of all of Tesla's battery production, but now is becoming just a side-piece with Tesla increasingly incorporating other cell suppliers and also going solo for battery production being the main goal in future.
I believe Panasonic had a chance to go "all-in" a couple of years ago and passed. Probably a prudent/reasonable business decision at the time. Now it looks to everyone like they are stuffy and lack vision. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I believe Panasonic had a chance to go "all-in" a couple of years ago and passed. Probably a prudent/reasonable business decision at the time. Now it looks to everyone like they are stuffy and lack vision. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I still think Panasonic purposely bottlenecked cell production in 1Q19 trying to lever Elon into a better deal. Not a great idea. Now Elon is making sure no one supplier/partner can slow them down.

How different could Panasonic's reality be today if they'd simply gone all in on Tesla? Instead they'll likely cozy up to another automaker as the strategic partnerships ramp. Best of luck catching up.

What to do tomorrow on all these 4/16 $700 calls? If the inflation report goes well, we should see another +2-5% day and things could get out of control from there.

Does one sell at an early 9:45 peak or get greedy? I suppose a combination would be logical.

I also need my 4/16 $800c's to get beyond $2 at some point! What's that SP, maybe $730?

It feels like an afterthought and so long ago, but anyone know when Gigafactory Nevada is going to complete? Has that been expedited at all with the Las Vegas Loop?

Lots of things are moving to Austin where Tesla can more easily find skilled workers.
I can see GF Nevada continuing to remain important, and slowly converting to making 4680 format cells.

Tesla is more likely to base their own 4680 cell production and vehicle production in Austin, at least for the next few years.

Panasonic may expand adding 4680 lines, and perhaps that will require a bit more building construction.

The workforce situation in Nevada may gradually improve, Tesla may decide it is a good site for the manufacture of some new products.

Tesla will probably ramp up cell recycling at Nevada...

Overall I'm not really seeing a strong reason why completing the factory in the next few years is important.
But eventually, if we wait long enough, it will happen.. as something will be a good fit for that site.

I still think Panasonic purposely bottlenecked cell production in 1Q19 trying to lever Elon into a better deal. Not a great idea. Now Elon is making sure no one supplier/partner can slow them down.

How different could Panasonic's reality be today if they'd simply gone all in on Tesla? Instead they'll likely cozy up to another automaker as the strategic partnerships ramp. Best of luck catching up.

I think Panasonic went about as "all in" as the company culture allowed.

The Model 3 ramp and the Nevada site have presented some challenges for both companies.

Both are looking for additional partners, and no surprise that Panasonic wants to work with Japanese car makers.

But Panasonic were bold in agreeing to the GF Nevada proposal, and that was a major help at the time.
Making 4680 cells via a wet electrode process is probably not much different to making 2170s, Panasonic probably doesn't make any more money.

Forgive me, I'm about 30 pages behind, but perhaps this didn't get posted yet:
Assets Have Tanked at Two of the World’s Biggest Short Sellers (ft. Chanos)
Holy schadenfreude!

This surprised me because I suspected Chanos was a mostly a pied piper trying to lure in dumb shorts as well as scare off weak longs. I didn’t think he was dumb enough himself to short and stay shorted in such a big way based on the nonsense and FUD he spouted regarding Tesla.

Maybe there is some corollary to that saying that advises people not to take press clippings that laud them too much to heart. Something like "Don’t believe your own BS just because a major paper is willing to quote you on it."

Last edited:
Very cool video of Dave interviewing Quad Squad member Randy.

Dave went to visit the site to try out his drone and met Randy. @DaveT , were you aware of the Quad Squad prior to this?

I've watched some of the Quad Squad's videos before but didn't know they were such a tight group. Fun guys doing a great job.

Good question. This Moderator - and thread originator- does not know the answer.
On the old forum software, a wiki thread allowed non-moderator original posters to edit the first post forever. I don't see the option to create such threads in the new software, but the metadata may have carried over.

Whoa!

FYI, to setup an account in the USA you need to go through the web portal: Binance.US | Buy & Sell Crypto

(I'm not affiliated with them, but trying to get an account open to buy some more TSLA tomorrow)