Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like Tesla wants to disperse its battery production and localize it at the new vehicle production Gigas. Makes sense, I suppose from a security and logistics sense.

But from the demand described, we need 10's to 100's of GWh's of cell production today, and Terawatt-hours of cell production tomorrow. It's an all-you can eat situation.... the output from any new cell factory is likely instantly spoken for.

So I don't get how it makes sense just from a localization standpoint now. Semi, Cybertruck, Model Y, Plaid(+), PowerWall, PowerPack, MegaPack,... they all are cell-starved.

So while I get it would be ideal to have cell manufacturing co-located, it seems like with the never-ending game of catch-up, scaling GF1 would make sense... heck even a dozen more lines for slowly ramping semi would seem worthwhile...

Anyone want to take a gander how far the SP will run up until closing on 4/26, right before earnings?

I'll bet the SP tops out at $849 by close of 4/26, we then get a best ever ER, and then the following morning the SP tanks to $750 for no good reason until it stabilizes around $800 a few days later.

That would be in line with past TSLA action, yes. I remember many people saying that when Tesla becomes a multi billion market cap company and is included in the SP500 etc. it will become predictable and boring to invest in TSLA...

More good news for Tesla and EVs: Gas prices have climbed 22.5% from a year ago. According to CNBC article: "The consumer price index rose 0.6% from the previous month but 2.6% from the same period a year ago. The year-over-year gain is the highest since August 2018 and was well above the 1.7% recorded in February. Gasoline prices were the biggest contributor to the monthly gain, surging 9.1% in March and responsible for about half the overall CPI increase. Gasoline is up 22.5% from a year ago, part of a 13.2% increase in energy prices."

"These superconsumer investors are not investing experts. They are category experts. '

That's a subject that deserves about 30X the number of articles it actually gets devoted to it. But the MSM is too embarrassed to write them because it's highlights their inadequacies. They are the ones that were supposed to make people aware of the disconnect between popular perception and reality. But, like the mainstream financial firms, they totally missed it too.

This was a good thing for most of us. However, even on a thread like this there were the people who were constantly negative on the company, who were constantly trying to bring us back to "reality", and who bought into the mainstream ideas that demand was limited, profitability was unlikely, the company didn't know what they were doing and the 'competition' would eat Tesla alive. We had to constantly slap them back to reality by using actual facts, data, and real-world observations but they were like little 'negative Nellie' energizer bunnies who continually confused FUD for reality and whose batteries would never die. A few of them are still here and carry on as if they are a regular part of the Tesla bull community. :rolleyes:

I still am not 100% sure whether they mean active harm or merely have an innate inability to see reality when it's laid in front of them.

The two mega-investment firms will invest an initial $600 million to launch Decarbonization Partners, and look to raise money from investors committing to achieving a net zero world and long-term sustainable finacnial returns. The two partners have set themselves a goal to raise $1 billion for their first fund, including capital from Temasek and BlackRock.

I love melt-ups.

0EBE71E4-A494-40FF-A667-6931F64CB945.jpeg

Why isn't Tesla expanding the building footprint and constructing 100 more lines there?

Maybe because it isn't up to Tesla. Tesla builds the building, Panasonic builds the cell production lines. And Panasonic obviously still has space available because they are building a trial 4680 cell line there. So for whatever reason Panasonic doesn't want to build more lines at GigaNevada. Be that labor, housing, water, investment capital, etc...

• Informative
Reactions: capster
I've wondered this as well. If GF Nevada is only ~15% complete ( seem to remember that's the approximate number), and the constant constraint for growth and new products (Cybertruck, Semi, etc...) is cells, cells, cells.... Why isn't Tesla expanding the building footprint and constructing 100 more lines there? It would seem to be money well spent.

The only thing I've seen suggests that lack of available labor force is the issue. I've heard housing and water also discussed, but a number of folks seemed to think those were non-issues.

I'm guessing part of the original reasoning behind the location was due to proximity of lithium deposits but perhaps further investigation determined it was better to simply buy the lithium on the open market. It could have been a rare misstep by Tesla management but will likely turn out to have been a good investment in the long run. If this theory has some truth to it, it would make sense that we never knew the rational because mineral rights and contracts would have to be locked up before Tesla could disclose the reasoning.

Maybe because it isn't up to Tesla. Tesla builds the building, Panasonic builds the cell production lines. And Panasonic obviously still has space available because they are building a trial 4680 cell line there. So for whatever reason Panasonic doesn't want to build more lines at GigaNevada. Be that labor, housing, water, investment capital, etc...
And Tesla can build 200Gwh of 4680 battery lines at Berlin and Austin in the time it would take Panasonic engineer and build about 5Gwh at Nevada. And that includes full cathode and LiOH processing facilities at Austin.

Yeah maybe.

Kinda feel like Elon and the gang are smart enough to have contractually locked up the option to do so before starting there however....

View attachment 653416

Not Best Electric Compact Luxury Sedan. But Best Compact Luxury Sedan.

BTW Sorry if already posted.
MotorTrend Best Compact Luxury Sedans to Buy in 2021
I think it is important to note the cars the Tesla Model 3 beat out for top 1 spot. An impressive beat. As an owner of a Model 3, I've known this all along that Tesla makes the best cars in the World. Period.
1. Tesla Model 3 (BEV)
2. Audi A4 (ICE)
3. Genesis G70 (ICE)
4. Volvo S60 (ICE with plug-in hybrid option)
5.Alfa Romeo Giulia (ICE)
6. Mercedes-Benz C-Class (ICE)
7. BMW 3-Series (ICE)
8. Acura TLX (ICE)
9. Cadillac CT5 (ICE)
10. Lexus IS (ICE)
11. Infinity Q50 (ICE)