Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another way to say that would be that you are not “religious” about Tesla. This seems healthy. This is investing and not cultish behavior.

Cramer started his show this evening with a rant about broad selling of quality stocks because of a religious conviction toward cryptocurrency and COIN. He followed this with a segment on waiting and buying good companies at IPO at a rational price.

Later he did a takedown of recent failing EV stocks (not Tesla) and how they had over-promised. Then (on the date of Madoffs death) he wrapped up the EV segment with a promise to bring back his “Wall of Shame”.
As others have touched on, the fact that most of us came from some other brand and willingly "switched teams" based on the evidence before us, should define our brand loyalty as only skin deep. Whereas, those that won't even consider Tesla because it's some mysterious Silicon Valley Automotive wannabe could rightfully be lumped into a religion.

Religions are beliefs without evidence.

Discussions with TSLAQ, or fudsters, or Porsche fanatics or Tesla fanatics borders on this at times. Although, I've never owned a Porsche, they make some impressive cars but we can at times let our partiality cloud our opinions even on objective metrics. Nobody wants to admit they bought the wrong car or made a poor decision so we tend to defend the indefensible e.g. projected timelines for FSD.

I like the response when discussing one EV over another though in just supporting the decision to not buy an ICEV. My biggest caveat when this comes up isn't so much that Tesla is the best choice for any situation, but look at what it does better than the competition and decide if that's important to you enough to overlook not having Corinthian Leather.

File this in the "for what it's worth" category: Short seller Scorpion Capital just published a 188-page research report and announced a short position in QuantumScape.

"We conducted 15 in-depth research interviews, including 9 former R&D employees, 4 leading solid-state battery experts, and 2 employees in Volkswagen’s EV battery effort. Our research leads us to conclude that the company is no different than other recently exposed SPAC promotions and EV frauds."

Report - (Scorpion Capital)

Some guy on reddit is saying SX line delay continues due to failed bus bar inspection. I don't know much about permitting or understand any of this stuff so I'll throw it out to you guys to check. I vetted this guys historical post and he's not a Tesla troll or anything. Just someone waiting for his new S refresh.

In my best Seinfeld voice "Gusman!"

I can't speak for the rest of you, but I am totally NOT brand loyal to Tesla. I would flip the instant I saw a better product. While I don't see that happening anytime soon, I am fully capable of being unbiased as I check out various options from other makers. I would probably sell my stock too. I am a Tesla fan boy but only because I'm a fan of their products and technology. They design the kind of cars I like using state of the art technologies to make them objectively superior. If that ever changes, I'm not going to hang on and defend the indefensible.
I am and will stay loyal to the brand. Tesla is the company that took the huge risk to transition us to sustainability while no one else tried and in most cases actually did everything in their power to stop it. For that, I will always support them.

As expected, Max Pain now up to $725 and both $750 + $800 strike open interest increased...

1618493404969.png

I am and will stay loyal to the brand. Tesla is the company that took the huge risk to transition us to sustainability while no one else tried and in most cases actually did everything in their power to stop it. For that, I will always support them.

I would just like to point out that Tesla is a corporation, not a person or a dog. If and when they are no longer pushing sustainable technologies to be cheaper and better, it would almost certainly be because top leadership had left for other ventures. Loyalty can be a good thing - part of a dog's irresistible charm is their undying loyalty. Yet it's always a mistake to apply loyalty to a corporation.

Corporations need to constantly earn our respect, not because they were doing great things for humanity, but because they are doing great things for humanity.

Last edited:

However I'm all for "marketing", which is different to "advertising" because it has an element of cleverness and invention, and does not rely on saturation.
Marketing is a surgical guided missile strike, advertising is saturation bombing.
Actually, perhaps a trifle pedantically Marketing consists of :
Product
Positioning
Promotion and
Price
Those were developed by E. Jerome McCarthy in 1960:
Basic Marketing A Managerial Approach Fourth Edition
I give the reference since numerous people on this thread do not actually understand these details.
Tesla and Elon DO understand.
Positioning and Promotion have both changed dramatically during the last two decades, primarily due to the internet, first, then Social Media and e-commerce. Promotion, by the way, includes advertising, social media participation, as well as the Holy Grail of Promotion, the elusive and prized Word-of-Mouth. That WoM includes social media activity by customers (say, TMC, Tesla owners clubs, Twitter and Facebook groups)

Modern marketers rarely use either print or broadcast advertising. Tesla did not originate that, but they may be the only large auto manufacturer or solar and battery supplier to completely avoid such waste.

Equally, most prominently Tesla encourages Tesla enthusiast groups which are more active and involved, even to agitating for Tesla-friendly legislation, than any other even remotely comparable group.

Today advertising, in any form but especially digital, is very expensive. Precise targeting is the reason, making cost-per-reach (the standard metric) irrelevant. cost-per-sale is the only relevant metric.

Tesla auto competitors average above 15% of sales in the Promotion category alone and that excludes dealer-paid and the dealer markup. That 15% varies dramatically from season to season and other factors. Overall that has tended to be fairly stable over time but the categories have changed.

Bluntly, folks, despite the enthusiasm of some of us for Tesla to begin advertising or paid-promotion t5aht would very likely destroy the Tesla advantages.

Anybody who doubts the Tesla ability to scale their approach should take a quick look at Tesla China or anything they sell anywhere. All of us are the promotional team and our numbers are growing worldwide.

FWIW, There are active groups in many countries, such as Russia and Brasil, where Tesla is not sold, that actively import grey-market Teslas. In those countries and many others Tesla will have ready buyers lined up just as soon as they can make enough product to begin selling to them. Does Tesla need advertising in any form at all. NO!!!

EV stocks down the drain once again, despite the 10Y dropping like a stone too

Any ideas why?

Well, NKLA is up. Although technically that's not an EV company, but a GV company. G for gravity.

But it's clear this week is lost again. The powers that be have decided where they want the SP to end up tomorrow afternoon and there's nothing we can do about it. Let's just hope that it will result in an extra push upwards next week as they unwind what they've constructed.

Let's look at the upside for a minute:

When FSD actually happens, no one will be expecting it! 🤪

Yes, FSD could be the bigger version of S&P500 inclusion. That one was being expected by investors for a while, they pre-loaded shares in anticipation, but then it did not come on time.
The delay got some people to sell, but then it came eventually and caused another rally. The difference is, that FSD was being anticipated much longer without arriving and the upside should be much bigger when it finally does arrive.

Some guy on reddit is saying SX line delay continues due to failed bus bar inspection. I don't know much about permitting or understand any of this stuff so I'll throw it out to you guys to check. I vetted this guys historical post and he's not a Tesla troll or anything. Just someone waiting for his new S refresh.

Anybody who has been involved with commercial building inspections probably would not get too worked up about this. Fails happen frequently, often because the coordination of actual inspection timing is not perfect, so often it is not easy to immediately comply with requirements. That produces 'fails' which often are cured the same day or soon thereafter. It is very easy to overreact to such notices, and it does not even provide definitive evidence that S&X are not now being produced.

That said, of course approvals are better. The good Johnny spends most of his professional life in and out of Tesla. If he does not file the odd fail he'll get the reputation as a pushover, never a good thing for a building inspector.

Last edited by a moderator:

This all looks correct, but the permit is still valid. They don't shut down the whole operation because you fail an inspection over things this minor, and there would definitely be a 'stop work' notice attached if that was the case. They just need to fix the problems and reschedule the inspection.

File this in the "for what it's worth" category: Short seller Scorpion Capital just published a 188-page research report and announced a short position in QuantumScape.

"We conducted 15 in-depth research interviews, including 9 former R&D employees, 4 leading solid-state battery experts, and 2 employees in Volkswagen’s EV battery effort. Our research leads us to conclude that the company is no different than other recently exposed SPAC promotions and EV frauds."

Report - (Scorpion Capital)

Sounds very plausible - alas turns out at least on Schwab this is not possible -

Edit: - from the Schwab rep: ".. QS is a non marginable stock to hold long, that it is hard to find shares to short because fewer people would hold it on margin, to allow you to short. "

1618496703194.png

Last edited:
I think tesla miss a trick by not aggressively getting into actual proper racing in a big way. Once every single race that can have an EV in it is totally and utterly beaten by a roadster or a plaid S, then all those kids with porsche wallpaper on their laptops will have a re-think.

A racing series needs competition and fierce rivalries to grow into something great. EV racing is in it's early nascent stage. Tesla should continue to hang back and let things develop before stepping in and showing them how to do it. ;)

It's much better to be the new underdog entering a series than the series founder who habitually beats everyone down before they can strut their stuff.

Reactions: cjkosh
Elon might be too hopeful for some people, but he's putting himself out there for the world to see and not hiding behind some empty "coming soon" message. I'm sorry but solving autonomy is difficult and I believe he is telling us what is on his mind with the best information available to him at all times. Let the one who has never missed a deadline cast the first stone.