Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weirdly rude extrapolation. Orthosurg said he had a similar mindset in investing, not in all aspects of life.
I think his extrapolation is spot on.
as he once said: « I am always right, it’s even better when the others are wrong. »
his wife and mine became really good friends, she often talked with my wife about divorcing him, however she makes a tenth of the money he does, he fully paid their multimillion dollars home in upscale neighborhoo, she owns nothing. He created a full state of dependence for his wife and she is trapped them with 2 kids with an overly exigent husband that forces her to publish 4 scientific papers yearly. She has been getting into fights with her research assistants because she has been pressurized so much lately by him. His parents take care of their 2 young kids 90% of the time so they can train and do their research.
One of the best surgeons I know, one of the most prolific publisher in scientific papers, one of the worst husband I know and also a mediocre investor. The positive aspect is that it makes my wife realize how amazing I am of a husband, even when I am sleep deprived with crazy weeks on call, sleeping 3 hours a night. And she found out I am prolific investor in comparison. She became the strongest supporter of any move I do. I would announce her I sell all my TSLA shares and go full margin on Dogecoin and she would probably support me. Not.

Thanks everyone for the help, I think I’ll just ignore his investor madman ramblings from now on and the SP in 2-3 years will prove himself wrong. It’s just that I considered him a smart person and thought smart people could be convinced out of FUD. But when he said that Tesla Model 3 was overpriced for the quality defects and then he said he would like to have a Porsche Taycan, it became evident he was conflictual in his reasoning.

Last edited:
The problem you face is people are stupid.
The "don't confuse me with the fact's my mind is made up" crowd can be almost impossible to reach.

I suggest presenting the fact's and moving on.
Wasting energy on some..(well most people like that)... is a good way to make your own life miserable.

Half the population need a training course on effectively dealing with the other half who have become ignorant (or even more so) due to social media.
Sadly the ignorance virus is so widespread almost everyone rational has valued relationships with people who have drunk one flavor of Kool Aid or another. One tactic which might help break through to some would be to pick a topic you know the person knows very well on a factual level from their experience or occupation. Make some ridiculous assertions about their area of expertise and let them tell YOU how you don't know the facts and how absurd your assertions are. Then turn it around and ask why some of their opinions are based on verifiable facts but they won't take the trouble to even check the factual basis of their QAnon, anti Vaxd, Tesla (fill in the blank) assertions before believing them unconditionally.
The scary thing today is that fewer and fewer of the willingly ignorant are actually stupid. Many are smart in other parts of their lives.

It’s a small world. Everybody knows everybody out that way - I know this from experience. Those guys will go home, to a restaurant, to the bar, over to buddy’s house tonight and word of CYBRTRCK will spread like wildfire.

And the construction workers are now a part of it - they are part of making it happen! It's not often they get to be a part of something THIS big and relevant! They were already exclaiming to family and friends about the mind-blowingly HUGE scope of their project and how fast it was going up.

Frequently people here discuss 'moats' of Tesla. Superchargers are mentioned but usually without much detail. I decided to just location pairs presently accessible by Tesla Superchargers. I also specify a handful of these that require Destination Chargers also. Two locations I mention, Lhasa, Tibet and Istanbul, Turkey need a couple of non-Tesla charges but both of these have presently planned Superchargers to complete the route. I haven't downloaded maps because any of us obsessive enough to find them can do so on the Tesla mapping pages.

Jilan Provence (near Vladivostok, Russia) to Lhasa, Tibet (needs about three non-Tesla charges near Tibet but there are four Destination chargers in Lhasa and a Superchargers coming. (One Destination charger is in the St. Regis hotel, my preferred Lhasa hotel)

Guangxi (at Haiphong bay looking out towards Hanoi, Virtnam) to Dandong (near North Korea border)

If Guangxi doesn't appeal to you one can begin at Yunnan Province in the famed Golden Triangle at Laos/Myanmar/China borders known for spectacular sightseeing and opium, a few decades ago.

Anywhere you can travel in Honshu (where almost all the Japanese population lives).
Anywhere you can go in South Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand.

For extreme weather changes:
Skáidi, Norway (well above the Arctic Circle nearly northernmost place in Europe) to Cabo da Roca, Spain (furthest South mainland point in the EU, or,
Edmonton, Alberta to Mexico. If we want to go to Cabo San Lucas or Cancun either is easily doable with a Tesla although we'll need to use Destination chargers for the final legs in Mexico.

We will can also choose Istanbul, but now the nearest open Supercharger is in Plovdiv, Romania, 420 km away, so prudence might cause a stop at one of the ZES charging stations in Turkey. Within a year or so this route will have several Superchargers.

Athens, Greece has a Supercharger now but the buildout of Superchargers for Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania and Montenegro is under way. We should see all of these operational this year or early next year.

From 2012 when I saw the first Tesla Supercharger in Gilroy, CA until now, less than ten years later, Tesla has blanketed the largest country on earth, plus the North American Continent and Europe. We now have only places like the Alaskan Highway, Southern Mexico, and much of Eastern Europe.

Still with zero support is the Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, Africa and South America. At the rate Tesla is advancing I expect all of those to have significant coverage in the next two years.

So, based on what exists today Tesla has an essentially insurmountable moat. That is not because no one else could do it, it is that no one else has the imagination to do it.

The point of this is not so much trip planning as a demonstration that Tesla continues to make amazing progress making Superchargers easy to find where there are Teslas.

Quantifying this advantage is difficult, but we do know that charging anxiety and multiple incompatible charging procedures are themselves very discouraging for new adoption, not o mention global reliability issues with nearly every non-Tesla solution. Tesla meanwhile is building larger installations, Urban ones and faster ones on high travel routes as well as gigantic ones where these is high concentration. There are still waits at peak times but even that is being addressed.

So what is this worth? My working assumption is about $300 per share. Why so much? Because the sales process is simpler when the existence of all these simple-to-use solutions are nearly ubiquitous already.

as he once said: « I am always right, it’s even better when the others are wrong. »
his wife and mine became really good friends, she often talked with my wife about divorcing him, however she makes a tenth of the money he does, he fully paid their multimillion dollars home in upscale neighborhoo, she owns nothing. He created a full state of dependence for his wife and she is trapped them with 2 kids with an overly exigent husband that forces her to publish 4 scientific papers yearly. She has been getting into fights with her research assistants because she has been pressurized so much lately by him. His parents take care of their 2 young kids 90% of the time so they can trai. And do their research.
One of the best surgeons I know, one of the most prolific publisher in scientific papers, one of the worst husband I know and also a mediocre investor. The positive aspect is that it makes my wife realize how amazing I am of a husband, even when I am sleep deprived with crazy weeks on call, sleeping 3 hours a night. And she found out I am prolific investor in comparison. She became the strongest supporter of any move I do. I would announce her I sell all my TSLA shares and go full margin on Dogecoin and she would probably support me. Not.
Incoming Zen;

Our strengths are often our weaknesses. Being self aware helps us to nurture our strengths without them taking over every aspect of our lives and helps us improve on our weaknesses to become better balanced.

I had emergency ortho surgery once. I was fortunate to have tried to cripple myself when *the* orthopedic surgeon of note was on call that night. He did an amazing job and for that I am ever grateful all these years later (no arthritis, no pain, full range of motion etc... ) but his bedside manner was as wanting as mine. I reminded him (while free of the happy drugs) that being brilliant at his job didn’t entitle him to be a dick after the fact. He had the grace to look ashamed for a brief moment. He went on to become wildly successful and sought after in child orthopedics - he’d already been well known in sport circles. I heard through the grapevine years later that the children had softened his demeanor and he had become well-liked beyond his god given talent. I guess point being, people can change if they want to.

his wife and mine became really good friends, she often talked with my wife about divorcing him, however she makes a tenth of the money he does, he fully paid their multimillion dollars home in upscale neighborhoo, she owns nothing. He created a full state of dependence for his wife and she is trapped them with 2 kids with an overly exigent husband that forces her to publish 4 scientific papers yearly. She has been getting into fights with her research assistants because she has been pressurized so much lately by him. His parents take care of their 2 young kids 90% of the time so they can trai. And do their research.

Thanks everyone for the help, I think I’ll just ignore his madman ramblings from now one and the SP in 2-3 years will prove himself wrong.
The grass is always browner " The positive aspect is that it makes my wife realize how amazing I am of a husband" -

"why can't you be more like...oh actually, you're fine"

Partners being content with one another is a joy compared to one or both making comparisons or manipulating. We're all surrounded by people who are richer (you lot, generally), better looking, fitter, cleverer etc. It's a thoroughly depressing aspect of modern life especially as we have more media, more manipulation of images & stories.

@OrthoSurg - might I suggest you/your wife advise the controller's wife to put a little away in a freedom investment account. At least enough to cover a decent divorce lawyer

Slightly more on-topic, what % of retail, institutional $$ actually understand Tesla as a company? The number of people who subscribe to the Tesla youtube channels seems very low. It's easy to think that what we know and believe is widespread knowledge when it isn't but I think recent experience/research has shown me that few people understand Tesla as a company. I think it shows the importance of Elon's twitterings & driving Cybertruck around

• Top Gear 8 million (mostly UK?)
  • CarWow Youtube channel has 5.5 million subscribers (UK Specific)
  • Scotty (Buy Toyota) Kilmer - 4+ million
  • BTS (K-Pop) 48 million
  • Ford 2.13 million - why - HOW?
  • General Motors 30.8K (ha ha ha)
  • Volkswagen 232K
  • Tesla 1.9 million
  • Hyperchange 152k
  • Now you know 250k
  • Tesla Daily/Rob Maurer 160k
  • Bjorn Nyland 228k
  • Fully Charged 780k (mostly UK?)
  • Sean Mitchell - 57k
  • Ben Sullins 230K
  • Grimes 853K

Next week I think we'll see a run up towards $800 - a bigly call-wall of 21k open-interest there, but not that much happening below
I think the same and I'm counting on it. I just bought back Covered Calls I had sold with Jan 2023 exp because the 1200 strike was too low. I used the money I planned on living on for the next year. The new plan is to sell new Jun 2022 Covered Calls with 1500 strike next week after a rise in the SP. Fingers crossed. These trades are scary, but I'm in a good financial position because I've been able to do the scary things (like holding Tesla from 2014-2019 and adding to my position while all my friends were selling out).

Terms of the settlement, which included a monetary payment made by Cao to Tesla, were not disclosed. Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Peripherally On Topic....it's Okay: I approve this post....

The photos of the Cybertruck at the Texas Gigafactory yesterday clearly show a vehicle whose tires extend outside its wheel fenders. I know not the laws in all 50 states, but I do know - and from unhappy experience - that that is illegal in the states of Alaska and Washington.

And here we go......

The grass is always browner " The positive aspect is that it makes my wife realize how amazing I am of a husband" -

Partners being content with one another is a joy compared to one or both making comparisons or manipulating. We're all surrounded by people who are richer (you lot, generally), better looking, fitter, cleverer etc. It's a thoroughly depressing aspect of modern life especially as we have more media, more manipulation of images & stories.

@OrthoSurg - might I suggest you/your wife advise the controller's wife to put a little away in a freedom investment account. At least enough to cover a decent divorce lawyer

Slightly more on-topic, what % of retail, institutional $$ actually understand Tesla as a company? The number of people who subscribe to the Tesla youtube channels seems very low. It's easy to think that what we know and believe is widespread knowledge when it isn't but I think recent experience/research has shown me that few people understand Tesla as a company. I think it shows the importance of Elon's twitterings & driving Cybertruck around

• BTS (K-Pop) 48 million
  • Volkswagen 232K
  • Tesla 1.9 million
  • Hyperchange 152k
  • Now you know 250k
  • Bjorn Nyland 228k
  • Sean Mitchell - 57k
  • Ben Sullins 230K
  • Grimes 853K
Wouldn't it be funny if the wife put her money in TSLA and became richer than him in a couple of years before she could go ahead with the divorce?
On second thought, he sounds like the kind of person who should totally sell TSLA, nay, short it.

The photos of the Cybertruck at the Texas Gigafactory yesterday clearly show a vehicle whose tires extend outside its wheel fenders. I know not the laws in all 50 states, but I do know - and from unhappy experience - that that is illegal in the states of Alaska and Washington.

It's also illegal to not have physical side view mirrors

But we already know that's not the final design of the vehicle so presumably they'll get around to fixing all the illegal stuff on it before then :)

Reactions: gene

And here we go......
Bigger Fenders?

Looks like price drop in many parts of Europe too. Tesla just dropped prices about 25 times.
The devaluation of the USD against other fiat currencies is likely the cause of the recent price drops in Tesla vehicles outside of US. Below is graph of 5 year CAD to USD showing a rise of CAD over USD from $0.70 to T$0.80 in the last full year, so my Candian purchase of US TSLA needed to rise almost 15% just to break even to cover the currency exchange rate. Thankfully TSLA appreciated many times this during the last full year.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.49.37 AM.png

Haha the gym has been closed for a while now.

He used to be my mentor but I didn’t go in spine surgery, I went into joints replacement and sportsmed, I ran couple of marathons with him, we completed some Ironman and were training for Boston and Berlin marathons together so we spend a lot of time talking.

the guy is a genius in clinical research in spinal cord injury, working every night till midnight and now over 200 PubMed articles, his father always managed his money and corp, he just discovered there was a stock market last year in the pandemic and wanted to get into TSLA and GME, however, in investing he has exactly the opposite skills required for a spine surgeon, he want everything to be quick, certain and controlled. That makes him a terrible investor.
Just let them find out the hard way.
I say that to myself many times per day when I see the naivete and lack of knowledge displayed in the majority of the posts here. Most people have to find out the hard way.

Frequently people here discuss 'moats' of Tesla. Superchargers are mentioned but usually without much detail. I decided to just location pairs presently accessible by Tesla Superchargers. I also specify a handful of these that require Destination Chargers also. Two locations I mention, Lhasa, Tibet and Istanbul, Turkey need a couple of non-Tesla charges but both of these have presently planned Superchargers to complete the route. I haven't downloaded maps because any of us obsessive enough to find them can do so on the Tesla mapping pages.

Jilan Provence (near Vladivostok, Russia) to Lhasa, Tibet (needs about three non-Tesla charges near Tibet but there are four Destination chargers in Lhasa and a Superchargers coming. (One Destination charger is in the St. Regis hotel, my preferred Lhasa hotel)

Guangxi (at Haiphong bay looking out towards Hanoi, Virtnam) to Dandong (near North Korea border)

If Guangxi doesn't appeal to you one can begin at Yunnan Province in the famed Golden Triangle at Laos/Myanmar/China borders known for spectacular sightseeing and opium, a few decades ago.

Anywhere you can travel in Honshu (where almost all the Japanese population lives).

Skáidi, Norway (well above the Arctic Circle nearly northernmost place in Europe) to Cabo da Roca, Spain (furthest South mainland point in the EU, or,
Edmonton, Alberta to Mexico. If we want to go to Cabo San Lucas or Cancun either is easily doable with a Tesla although we'll need to use Destination chargers for the final legs in Mexico.

We will can also choose Istanbul, but now the nearest open Supercharger is in Plovdiv, Romania, 420 km away, so prudence might cause a stop at one of the ZES charging stations in Turkey. Within a year or so this route will have several Superchargers.

Athens, Greece has a Supercharger now but the buildout of Superchargers for Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania and Montenegro is under way. We should see all of these operational this year or early next year.

From 2012 when I saw the first Tesla Supercharger in Gilroy, CA until now, less than ten years later, Tesla has blanketed the largest country on earth, plus the North American Continent and Europe. We now have only places like the Alaskan Highway, Southern Mexico, and much of Eastern Europe.

Still with zero support is the Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, Africa and South America. At the rate Tesla is advancing I expect all of those to have significant coverage in the next two years.

So, based on what exists today Tesla has an essentially insurmountable moat. That is not because no one else could do it, it is that no one else has the imagination to do it.

The point of this is not so much trip planning as a demonstration that Tesla continues to make amazing progress making Superchargers easy to find where there are Teslas.

Quantifying this advantage is difficult, but we do know that charging anxiety and multiple incompatible charging procedures are themselves very discouraging for new adoption, not o mention global reliability issues with nearly every non-Tesla solution. Tesla meanwhile is building larger installations, Urban ones and faster ones on high travel routes as well as gigantic ones where these is high concentration. There are still waits at peak times but even that is being addressed.

So what is this worth? My working assumption is about $300 per share. Why so much? Because the sales process is simpler when the existence of all these simple-to-use solutions are nearly ubiquitous already.
Tesla has increased the value of the SC network over the last 4-5 years and now has as of 4Q report 23,277 connectors at 2,564 stations... the value of the network = 542M

your post adds a key point to the value statement above .... it is not just the number of network nodes that matters ... but where they are located which helps create the Moat.... i watched the Munro Live video where he charges a VW at the Electrify America charger and i was LMAO .... he is an Automotive Engineer and he could not take it ... a few charging interactions like that and buyers remorse will set in .... also how easy the node it to interact with at the UI ....
here is link to video
in case you missed it this is a friction filled transaction :D

Sandy Quote"the best part of the whole trip was the coffee"

Last edited:
Anyone else getting ornery from all the "OEM EV taking on Tesla in 202X" articles/ads ... they seem to have increased exponentially .... i guess OEMs are panicking but it really irritates me...
on the flip side everyone of these articles is an Advertisement for Tesla which is fantastic ... because an educated consumer will need to compare Porsche, Mercedes, VW, etc to Tesla and if you do your HW there is only once conclusion Tesla

changed my mind ... bring on the "Tesla Killers" 🦕

I kind of like that misguided storyline because it's so mind-numbingly stupid it's entertaining. That perspective is completely blind to the fact that the auto market is really huge compared to total EV sales of only 2% and thus sales of EV's from the OEMs don't gut Tesla EV sales, they slice off increasingly larger portions of the OEM's own gasoline car sales. Their perspective is so oblivious to what's actually happening on the ground it's hilariously entertaining.

The story should be: "OEM EV's are competing with their own gasoline offerings, vehicles they have spent decades developing to achieve margins they still can't manage with their fledgling EV offerings. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place because the more EV's they make, the less profit they generate. On the other hand, if they don't manufacture EV's in high volumes, they cannot achieve the necessary economies of scale to compete with Tesla, the leader in EV manufacturing. Tesla continues to expand production of EV's, lowering production costs and making it ever more difficult for the large OEM's to compete. Meanwhile, Tesla has already achieved higher margins on EV's than the OEM's have with their gasoline offerings which Tesla sales are eroding in ever increasing numbers. The only hope for OEM's is to hope they can match Tesla's EV volumes and efficiencies before they go broke."

Instead they say "Look out Tesla, here they come!". 🤪

The devaluation of the USD against other fiat currencies is likely the cause of the recent price drops in Tesla vehicles outside of US. Below is graph of 5 year CAD to USD showing a rise of CAD over USD from $0.70 to T$0.80 in the last full year, so my Candian purchase of US TSLA needed to rise almost 15% just to break even to cover the currency exchange rate. Thankfully TSLA appreciated many times this during the last full year.

View attachment 654289
Yet Tesla has not dropped the price of its cars in Canada 🤷🏻‍♂️ Good for TSLA, not good for potential buyers.

• BTS (K-Pop) 48 million
  • Volkswagen 232K
  • Tesla 1.9 million
  • Hyperchange 152k
  • Now you know 250k
  • Bjorn Nyland 228k
  • Sean Mitchell - 57k
  • Ben Sullins 230K
  • Grimes 853K
One thing to remember is that youtube numbers are often misleading. First of all, number of subscribers are often influenced by viral videos and longevity. I would guess for example that likeley Ford had some superbowl commerial with a competition where you could win something if you subscribed. Or something similar. Also even if you die in most cases your subscription lives on. So half of Fords are probably dead anyway.

You can also look at Fords videos that are posted now. They get less views than both Sandy Munro and Rob Maurer. Way less most of the time.

Another factor that is never brought up is that it doesn't take much for a view to be counted. The algorithm is a bit unclear but a 30 second long view counts for sure. At least for some type of videos even shorter views are counted. Also if you happen to have a 'popular' word or name in your youtube name you might show up in searches and get an insane amount of very short views when people click before reading the description (or has autoplay on).

I have some friends that run a channel that comes up very high every time someone searches for a specific classic popular movie. It has nothing to do with the movie but often comes up as the first result. Even before the official movie page. Some videos get 50x the normal views with almost all very short. They learned to start all their videos with a short ad. Most people let it play through that. They didn't create the channel or name to trick anyone but they are not stupid and now make a nice extra change from this.

The account owner can see a lot of info about views but it's seldom talked about. Even a channel like Solving The Money Problem that has a few times gone through how much money the channel generates has never, from what I've seen at least, made a video regarding how long the average viewer actually watches a video. This is the dirty secret of all video creators.

I'm even screwing the stats myself. I surf everything with adblocker. So no youtube ads for me. For the dozen or so channels I watch regularly I often go back while I'm doing something else and let a playlist run through a couple of hours on a tab in the background with sound of so I don't see it the second time while I work or watch a movie or something. So most of the channels I like gets two views from me, one they get ad revenue from and one they don't. Both count in the numbers you see.

Not sure what I'm trying to say. Except, don't trust numbers on the internet I guess.

Last edited:

@jbcarioca
barely 7 years ago there were -->71<-- Superchargers in the entire North American continent and a father-daughter team did a 6 day New York to California trip in 6 days (200 mile range between SC's max) in a model S
(1 week before Tesla did so)
there is a map
things are changing extremely rapidly in just 7 years
1618590880111.png