Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Space land, it's getting hot: the downselect for Human Landing System* has, according to Eric Berger, been made. It may or may not be announced today, but it's going to be big. Really big. I'm crossing fingers for as big as Super Heavy + starship. If SpaceX wins it's going to influence TSLA.

Latest news is that it'll be announced ~3 hours from now. But again, no guarantees.

* 3 companies are competing for a NASA contract to deliver a human landing system usable on the moon.
133D591E-D6F4-4B56-B199-DF3F1D5C86CF.jpeg

In Space land, it's getting hot: the downselect for Human Landing System* has, according to Eric Berger, been made. It may or may not be announced today, but it's going to be big. Really big. I'm crossing fingers for as big as Super Heavy + starship. If SpaceX wins it's going to influence TSLA.

Latest news is that it'll be announced ~3 hours from now. But again, no guarantees.

* 3 companies are competing for a NASA contract to deliver a human landing system usable on the moon.
I highly recommend NASAWatch for all things governmental space related - Keith reports SpaceX has it in the bag

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and capster
I feel sorry for his S.O., he must be a really bad lover and a terrible conversationalist. And a hopeless fisherman. That's ok, it takes all types to make the world go 'round.

You might explain that investing is more like the recovery phase of surgery than the actual procedure. If you do the surgery correctly (pick the right investment), the body knows how to heal (the company will build itself stronger and value will be created in time). You don't go in and do the surgery again simply because the patient had a setback during the recovery period. If you did the surgery correctly to begin with, you let it continue to heal. Time works wonders.
Instead of surgery analogy, I would argue it’s more about preventative medicine... don’t sell your shares in the first place. Cured!

• Helpful
Reactions: lklundin and Joe F
Exactly!

Latest news is that SpaceX won! Not official yet though.
Well. The Washington Post, owned by Bezos, incorrectly announcing that SpaceX beat Blue Origin would be more than a little embarrasing.

Edit: Also they were expected to announce two winners, out of the three remaining. According to the Post they went with SpaceX only. If that's correct it's pretty significant.

In the 6-7 states I travel in 50% of the pickups are running 32s or 35s. Which stick out well past the fender edge. A lot of the rest are lifted and run even bigger, many of which are unsafe on pavement. My cop neighbor says they ignore them. Nobody enforces the laws anymore.
Mmm Hmmm. And

(1) I just said I know this from PERSONAL experience, so your use of "nobody" differs from mine, and
(2) All here know how Tesla-the-company has been, is now and almost certainly in the future will be under a higher degree of scrutiny and more than others, and also that which comes standard from a factory always differs from that which is altered ex post.

Reactions: lafrisbee
Then they should stop. Elon sez: "First of all, I think moats are lame. It's nice sort of quaint in a vestigial way. If your only defense against invading armies is a moat, you will not last long. What matters is the pace of innovation. That is the fundamental determinant of competitiveness."

(one of my all time favorite business quotes)

Supercharging is not a 'moat'! Supercharging isn't meant to compete with other companies' EVs but with gasoline cars! Eventually all EVs will have great charging infrastructure. The purpose of Supercharging is to mitigate the key competitive advantage that gasoline cars have over electric cars over a specific 10-15 year time period between the introduction of EVs and the full buildout of EV infrastructure. By mitigating ICE's advantage in long-distance travel, the Supercharger network serves to advance Tesla's core mission of accelerating the advent of sustainable transport.
Lame does not mean completely ineffective or entirely useless.

The Supercharger network is one of Tesla’s proverbial moats.

Elon points out (my bold in your quote above) that it is unwise to rely solely on a moat. The implicit points being that moats have relatively low utility and a relatively short half life.

Elon and Tesla innovate rapidly to develop and exploit every competitive advantage that they can—including making and using moats—even if they are transient advantages as long as they make economic and strategic sense.

Everyone should do a fly and drive to get their Cybertruck, that’s my plan and make a fun road trip out of the buying experience. Get a tour and a Tesla!
Got called to go back in the office to work in a closed area, so I have to order a new Model Y and do my part for the cause 5-9 weeks out.
This is my plan too. Fly to Giga Texas and drive home to the East Coast.

Electrek - 2 hours ago: Semi & Refeshed MX - Test Track

Excerpt:

A new Tesla Semi prototype and a new refreshed Model X were spotted on the test track at the Fremont factory in California ahead of the start of production.

There's a whole lot of automation that could be applied to the entire parking lot and delivery when we consider FSD as an integral part of vehicle production, including the obvious delivery potential. The cars in this video appear to be driven by humans, so just an example of how more automation will increase margins to lower costs even further, only to turn up production, rinse and repeat. It's a continuous feedback system with no end in sight.

I've never seen so much interest and video of factories in my life. It's quite cool actually. Is this just with the Tesla crowd or some general trend with Factories? Do we have footage of GM factories too? I wonder how they compare? I don't recall such excitement from the TV show "How It's Made."

Reactions: dhanson865
They sell jeans that are pre-ripped, so maybe they can have an option on the configurator to have the cybertruck delivered covered in dirt
Authentic Dirt (TM): It will sell.
Nostalgia is a very stable business proposition. We long for days of yore, though always with a slightly selective cultural memory. People working with abstract symbol analysis (most high paying jobs) long for the simplicity and the directness of doing construction. We forget long hours, physically hard work, sometimes dangerous, either falling or getting hit with falling objects, or just being physically worn down long before official retirement age.
Prediction: When (if) someday the AI revolution will remove or transform some/many of the currently high paying jobs we will become nostalgic about programming, doing legal work, accounting, etc in the old fashion non-AI way.
You will see future hipsters at cafes pretending to, not write a script for Hollywod, but doing 'old-school' programming. People will admire the cool 'hobby'.

So I’m on the beach and I hear two guys talking about Tesla, and I can hear they’re asking some pretty basic questions so I go over to them. One of them has just taken a test drive of the MY and was blown away. He’s confused now, because all he’s known about Tesla is that Musk is a weirdo, the company is a fraud, and he’d run out of range all the time. He’s been fed a diet of FUD for a decade, and now he has to adjust his mindset by the actual reality of the car he has just personally experienced.

As I write this, the guy has now gone over to somebody else to tell him about his test drive. We’ve all seen this play out for years now, but it’s kinda amazing to me that a decade has gone by and most people are still clueless.

Maybe a little advertising would be a good thing. If for no other reason than to convince people not to buy any more ICE cars. If you can’t score an EV now, hold onto your old ICE car a bit longer.

Well. The Washington Post, owned by Bezos, incorrectly announcing that SpaceX beat Blue Origin would be more than a little embarrasing.

Edit: Also they were expected to announce two winners, out of the three remaining. According to the Post they went with SpaceX only. If that's correct it's pretty significant.
It would be funny if Bezos was the source of the source selection document that is the basis of the article. :D

Anyone else getting ornery from all the "OEM EV taking on Tesla in 202X" articles/ads ... they seem to have increased exponentially .... i guess OEMs are panicking but it really irritates me...
on the flip side everyone of these articles is an Advertisement for Tesla which is fantastic ... because an educated consumer will need to compare Porsche, Mercedes, VW, etc to Tesla and if you do your HW there is only once conclusion Tesla

changed my mind ... bring on the "Tesla Killers" 🦕
Everyone and their dog knows by now that mentioning Elon or Tesla is one of the easiest way to gather attention.
The flip side is, that precisely for this reason it is not really a good idea for the brands in question, because they face harsh scrutiny when trying to measure up. Guess they will learn over time.

Reactions: Nocturnal
This is my plan too. Fly to Giga Texas and drive home to the East Coast.
Wonder if they will allow this for Canadian deliveries. Would love to do it.

It would allow for more deliveries before the end of each quarter (which admittedly they won't have too much trouble with; considering the Cybertruck backlog).

It would also, be helpful to the mission if more people in wider geographic regions of the world are driving Cybertrucks, because people in these other regions would see the Cybertruck in real life, and perhaps either order one, buy an alternate EV option ie Rivian, or at the very least delay their next ICE purchase resulting in fewer ICE pickups being sold, sooner.

Maybe a little advertising would be a good thing. If for no other reason than to convince people not to buy any more ICE cars. If you can’t score an EV now, hold onto your old ICE car a bit longer.
This concept of advertising as being a good thing could be right, but only after Tesla has established the production capacity to meet the demand that advertising would generate. Creating such demand before production can deliver could alienate potential customers that Tesla paid good money to attract.

I have speculated before how it is not inconceivable that Tesla, to some degree, appreciates all the FUD while the factories are gestating as it takes the heat off them in the mean time.

The really wonderful thing about this theory of mine is how the tables may turn should Tesla start throwing advertising dollars at the media and the media then finds an incentive to begin downplaying the FUD against Tesla. It will be like pulling the carpet out from under the feet of ICE and BigOil.

Nobody likes to be lied to, and once consumers begin to embrace how they have been sold a load of hogwash for over a decade they will not be happy with the sources behind it all.

Half the population need a training course on effectively dealing with the other half who have become ignorant (or even more so) due to social media.
Sadly the ignorance virus is so widespread almost everyone rational has valued relationships with people who have drunk one flavor of Kool Aid or another. One tactic which might help break through to some would be to pick a topic you know the person knows very well on a factual level from their experience or occupation. Make some ridiculous assertions about their area of expertise and let them tell YOU how you don't know the facts and how absurd your assertions are. Then turn it around and ask why some of their opinions are based on verifiable facts but they won't take the trouble to even check the factual basis of their QAnon, anti Vaxd, Tesla (fill in the blank) assertions before believing them unconditionally.
The scary thing today is that fewer and fewer of the willingly ignorant are actually stupid. Many are smart in other parts of their lives.
Thinking, learning, researching, trying to improve your knowledge and reasoning takes a lot of effort. Many find the modern world confusing and don't have the energy or appetite for that.
Smart is only one dimension, one yard-stick. Investing is hard. Curiosity and patience has a lot of merit too.