Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not risky. Elon would have gone to the moon with or without NASA just like he’s going to Mars regardless. That’s a fundamental difference between him and everyone else; he’s just going to do with or without others’ support. NASA did something smart in helping SpaceX originally. They continue to be smart here.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

IF he posted that tweet shortly after finding out SpaceX was awarded this lunar lander contract, not a good idea.

Reactions: wnorris
I watched the video and what I don't get is that, like Sandy, I see no way to get to maps without using your voice. Did VW really not provide any other way to get to the maps/navigation other than voice?

On that note, the only way I can get my Model 3 to show the tire pressure is now with voice command. So if the touch screen still has a place to touch to show this, then it is not easy to find.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
On that note, the only way I can get my Model 3 to show the tire pressure is now with voice command. So if the touch screen still has a place to touch to show this, then it is not easy to find.
Bottom left side of screen probably has 3 dots. Slide your finger on that area and move to the left. You can see mileage by sliding to the right.

And the winner is........$740! Very impressed they were able to keep it under $750 this week, though I think it took a LOT of shorting that will unwind in a massive tailwind of FOMO next week. Gonna be a fun week for sure.

DOW and non-tech S&P components finished the week with multiple record high closes. 10yr treasuries are back under 1.6%. Hopefully this means we'll see traders rotate back into "growth tech" just as the real FOMO and rumor buying hits.

Was able to grab a couple $800c's for next Friday near the bottom today thankfully. Will endeavor to have the fortitude to sell early in the week. Always an emotional challenge.

Reactions: NooB_cat
I think the size of the touch area might have been reduced during a recent update as I also struggle to get the those screens up for tire pressure and trip meters, but they are certainly still available if you can swipe in the right spot.

• Informative
Reactions: SN_8 and StealthP3D
Not risky. Elon would have gone to the moon with or without NASA just like he’s going to Mars regardless. That’s a fundamental difference between him and everyone else; he’s just going to do with or without others’ support. NASA did something smart in helping SpaceX originally. They continue to be smart here.
True.
Also, it would have been *very* embarrassing for any partner NASA might have chosen otherwise and for NASA itself to be overtaken by the Dear Moon trip - or another trip we haven't yet heard about, but he could just make up: 'Elons weekend trip to the moon'.
Such a move would also have been politically dangerous for Elon, in that it would be perceived as him not staying in his lane. The problem is, that neither Washington or NASA could really be sure that Elon wouldn't do it anyways. And such an embarrassment could be very detrimental to NASA's future budget and size. "Why waste money on NASA when that Musk guy is doing the space thing for free?".

So, what do you do when you are a governmental agency but you have a restless genius running around, lighting rockets on fire? Well, you hurry up and employ him so that he works for you, so some of the glory might shine on you also.

Last edited:
OT: Today may be the day everyone looks back on as a major turning point for SpaceX. Exclusivity clearly demonstrates the U.S. government acknowledges them as top dog.

This is an absolute nuclear bomb dropped on top of Blue Origin. A huge, demoralizing miss. Well, Bezos now has extra time on his hands to shake things up.

This tweet by Elon last week now seems like it could have been risky.
Gave you a disagree because regardless of any NASA contract, Space X is flying that Japanese dude around the moon, and I think it's related to that

Exciting times with 1 full week run up before what looks likely to be a record quarter of earnings... question for more knowledgeable ones:

Given how heavily manipulated / controlled by the MMs the stock is, and that the options for next Friday look like a very similar pattern to today (Stock Option Max Pain), isn't it likely that the stock won't be allowed to move much and will end up performing very similarly to this week?

Is the only hope that there is a surge in volume prior to the earnings call day which overcomes manips?!?
Cheers

Supercharging, in this sense, is indeed a 'moat' against EVs from traditional automakers, a soft, temporary advantage that buys time for Tesla's engineers and factories to implement the next big innovation.
I'd like to see Tesla offer a Mr. Fusion option.
iu

Or, maybe Elon could improve upon the Oscillation Over-thruster for those customers who can't wait for Boring tunnels?
buckaroo_banzai_oscillation_overthruster_prop_by_brashsculptor-dag44a6.jpg

Wonder if they will allow this for Canadian deliveries. Would love to do it.

It would allow for more deliveries before the end of each quarter (which admittedly they won't have too much trouble with; considering the Cybertruck backlog).

It would also, be helpful to the mission if more people in wider geographic regions of the world are driving Cybertrucks, because people in these other regions would see the Cybertruck in real life, and perhaps either order one, buy an alternate EV option ie Rivian, or at the very least delay their next ICE purchase resulting in fewer ICE pickups being sold, sooner.
I believe that is indeed an option, at least for Model Y. There's a Youtube video of a guy (Leon Chai) from Toronto who picked up his Model Y with his family from California and did the whole road trip back to Toronto via Vancouver and the Trans-Can HWY. Might want to get in touch with him to see how the process was. From his YT video, it seemed it was a US delivery, but with all the paperwork prepped for CDN import as there was a part of him stopping at the border to deal with the whole import process.

Elon's audience for that quote is as much Tesla's internal team as for investors. Elon has always emphasized that any specific technology advantage is only temporary. Even self-driving is going to be only a temporary advantage. He doesn't want Tesla itself to think of any 'moat' as a fixed defense. And he's absolutely right that looking for 'moat' (in the Warren Buffet sense of durable advantage) is misguided.

But you have a point that the word 'moat' is appropriate in a different sense. A moat is a temporary, soft defense that just slows an invader a little bit until your own army can join the fight. What wins the war is ultimately the strength of your army, but having a moat in the way just gives you a little bit of extra time to get your ranks in order. Supercharging, in this sense, is indeed a 'moat' against EVs from traditional automakers, a soft, temporary advantage that buys time for Tesla's engineers and factories to implement the next big innovation.
Timing is also an advantage.
We should see a rapid ramp up of EV production volumes over the next 5-10 years.
The relevance of Supercharging is helping Tesla make sales, Supercharging should help fund the expansion and maintenance of Supercharging.
If it remains an advantage for 10 years that is quite an advantage as many are forming their first impressions of EV brands.
Supercharging and service are the best marketing Tesla can do.
Donations of cars for charity raffles, is the only other marketing I would like to see them do.

Care to explain your disagree Lycanthrope? Options Expiration - Options Don't Expire on Fridays

Edit: I see you replied as I was posting

See this link which provides that according to NASDAQ, options technically expire at 11:59 AM Eastern Standard time on the date of expiration, which is a Saturday, oddly enough. Public holders of options contracts, however, must indicate their desire to trade no later than 5:30 PM on the business day preceding the option expiration date.

What Time Do Options Expire? - Power Cycle Trading

Expiration Time Definition

So it appears to be somewhere in between what @Tyler34 and @Lycanthrope are saying. Have to exercise by 5:30 PM on Fridays.

Edit to add NASDAQ link for definition of Expiration Time.

Last edited:
See this link which provides that according to NASDAQ, options technically expire at 11:59 AM Eastern Standard time on the date of expiration, which is a Saturday, oddly enough. Public holders of options contracts, however, must indicate their desire to trade no later than 5:30 PM on the business day preceding the option expiration date.

What Time Do Options Expire? - Power Cycle Trading

So it appears to be somewhere in between what @Tyler34 and @Lycanthrope are saying. Have to exercise by 5:30 PM on Fridays.
Even if you exercise by 5:30pm on Friday, you are still left with the price that it lands at 8pm on Friday. Also if you provide no instructions to your broker, and let them auto exercise if in the money, you could be out of the money by 8pm. All this to say, that if I had near the money options I would be selling them in normal trading hours.

Every day, Tesla's team just out innovate the stolen/clone products
I think it's actually the other way around. Tesla defines the sector. Making it hard for anyone else to re-define it.

Others are just following the footsteps of Tesla, maybe adding a touch here and there. But ultimately, it's Tesla who's deciding the industry direction.

It's similar to how AAPL has led the development of smartphones for a while. Whatever AAPL does, the others follow. And it's not until very recent where other manufacturers started to venture onto other stuff that AAPL doesn't/hasn't gone. (like flex screen)

And even then, most are just niche or enhancement of that AAPL did.

From what I'm seeing, there is no other EV players, even established companies with plenty of resources who dares to do what Tesla hasn't in the grand scheme of things. Much of it, I think it has something to do with the scale that Tesla is doing with things. They plan everything to eventually be put onto millions of EVs out there. And for any small entity wishing to develop something amazing... the first question they are likely to encounter from a potential investor is "what is the scale of this product in the future?". And without a strong backing such as Tesla, it's difficult for any major breakthrough to happen outside of Tesla given Tesla is basically a synonym for EV. And if Tesla is not backing such technology, and EV is what the development of such product is destined for, that product just lost 20% of the market (or 80% in US)

Reactions: Acroyear and Sofie