Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch! You paid a 2% ForEx fee for converting CAD to USD? o_O

You need to learn about Norbert's Gambit (would've saved you $1,000 CAD on $50K). Recommend using these two dedicated ETF funds to do these two trades: 1. CAD=>ETF then 2. ETF=>USD

So for the cost of 2 trades, you can convert any desired amnt between USD and CAD (without the 2% currency exchange fee). Works in the other direction too when taking profits. :D

Cheers!

FWIW: I have been using Transferwise (now Wise) to send/ receive money to and from France, Belgium and US. They claim much better rates than banks, and faster transfers, which is my experience, 2-4 business days. TBH I haven't double checked carefully their rates, but just figuring the wire fee of $30 AND the 1-2 week delays was enough to convince me. The way it works is simple, they basically open foreign accounts for you and you can simply decide how to allocate your funds in between your foreign accounts. If you want to pay someone in France, you pay as if from domestic to domestic bank, only need the routing no /account nos.

For foreign investments all you would have to do is set up institutional transfers from Wise to your other accounts.

OT/ Rant - Established banks really have been super slow to adapt to the modern age, and have certainly taken advantage of their clients for too long. A transfer from a friend with an account at HSBC in LA to my account at HSBC in NYC took ... get this, TEN fkg days, that was a few years ago. But really ???
Transferwise is established in London UK although I recall it started in Estonia, maybe because Steve Jurvetson was one of the early backers (he was also an early backer of Tesla, and Board member too until he became Board member of SpaceX). Which gave me confidence in it in their early stages.

Here it is

View attachment 654418

SAE Detroit - Exclusive Q&A with Sandy Munro Streamed live on Aug 19, 2020

Steven Mark Ryan's YT video does a pretty good job of extracting key points of that long and sometimes rambling 2 hr episode.

1:33:40 - Munro tells a secret: once asked how much the SP would go to when at the time it was at 400, he said 1,500 .. he actually invested when @ 1,000 and says " ...anybody who doesn't invest in Tesla lives in La La Land .. ""

Even @ 1.5x speedup I didn't have the patience to go through the whole video, props to Steven Mark for this selections.

Ivan Lipkov's key time links by subject as listed here may be useful - sort comments chronologically to find these links

Ivan Lipkov
3 months ago (edited)
Something from the inside:
28:44 - Start of stream
30:13 - Importance of lightweighting for improving range of EVs
32:29 - Is there a trend of using composites in a production (10k vs 100k)
35:03 - Material cost reduction by using carryover parts or reusing parts from other platforms
36:43 - Post-COVID changes In design for manufacturing vehicle and plants layout
38:27 - How Youtube channel was started + challenges
41:29 - Why did you decide to create your own business?
42:46 - Which automobile manufacturer utilizes the Lean design the most?
44:28 - About OEM robust design
46:47 - The most rewarding product of Munro (Boeing 787)
49:26 - Price for some Munro services
50:10 - Have you ever compared your cost reduction analysis with an actual OEM? How accurate is it?
52:10 - How much profit does an OEM typically make on each vehicle?
54:31 - Plastic injection molding impact on a vehicle design during time
56:19 - Is Tesla really years ahead of other companies with their electronics?
57:18 - Why does Tesla lie?
58:10 - What % of vehicle cost is driven by materials and how much is for manufacturing?
1:00:20 - Munro recommendations in new Tesla design
1:03:10 - What's the 18-yo problem that Munro solved in 4 months?
1:05:47 - Jeep Wrangler vs Ford Bronco comparison?
1:06:27 - Towing capacity of Tesla Cyber Truck
1:07:43 - Mega casting part question
1:09:10 - Mega casting part explanation
1:11:03 - Model Y & rust
1:12:14 - What killed the British car companies
1:12:25 - Heat pump Model Y
1:13:52 - Complains about Tesla Y in winter time
1:15:07 - What's gonna happen to all the ancillary business around Detroit when electric car come?
1:16:35 - What % of car manufacturing is done by robots currently?
1:18:50 - Innovations in robots
1:20:00 - Are technical schools in Detroit doing a good job of preparing students?
1:21:08 - About Elon Musk hiring
1:23:43 - What's going to happen to all of the corner gas stations?
1:26:30 - What's the future for an auto mechanic?
1:27:20 - About Tesla & competitors
1:29:35 - Will Tesla get to a small aircraft?
1:31:19 - How long before one certain manufacturer makes a hole unibody monocoque design in one casting?
1:33:40 - Munro tells a secret
1:35:05 - Tesla's quality (Fremont vs Shanghai vs Berlin)
1:37:39 - About the hemp
1:39:07 - What's the weirdest thing you've ever found during a teardown?
1:41:30 - About an electric plane
1:42:30 - About the recycling
1:44:57 - Are you a proponent of tier 1 suppliers making core components? One size fits all
1:48:20 - Cyber truck vs Model Y
1:49:35 - Can Tesla make a 25k euro car in the future for Europe?
1:51:55 - Will VW be able to make as many EVs as they promised?
1:53:18 - What kind of savings could a frame casting machine save?
1:54:09 - What's the most impressive innovation use in Model Y?
1:55:33 - Will plug-in hybrids have a future?
1:57:00 - End of questions

2:03:00 - "Easter egg"
Thanks.
Just saw most of the video you linked - very interesting.
But ... even though some of the topics are very similar, in the SMR/SMP video, Sandy wore a suit, standing up, but in above video Sandy is sitting down wearing a red polo.
Most notably the discussion and slides re. metallurgy and chemistry is not present in the above video.

• Informative
Reactions: CLK350

You need to learn about Norbert's Gambit (would've saved you $1,000 CAD on $50K). Recommend using these two dedicated ETF funds to do these two trades: 1. CAD=>ETF then 2. ETF=>USD

So for the cost of 2 trades, you can convert any desired amnt between USD and CAD (without the 2% currency exchange fee). Works in the other direction too when taking profits. :D

Cheers!
I second this motion. Have been using it for a long time. It works and has saved me money.

As an added bonus; check with your brokerage, if it is one of the major Canadian bank brokerages, you may not even pay a trade fee on one side of the trade (likely the Canadian side of the trade), if you buy near market close on one day and sell anytime the following day.

This is because one side ( or both of you’re lucky !) of DLR may be considered a “commission free” fund by the bank, if it is not a “day trade”. In my experience; one of my brokerage’s rules to maintain this as a “commission free” trade / not be considered a “day trade”; which they define as not buying and selling it in the same day; is to hold it overnight on purchase after buying the Canadian side; in order to maintain the commission free status.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
This article triggered me to look at the Tesla inventory.

There are some model 3 in EU, but other than that there is really nothing. I can't think of anytime in the recent past where the inventory has been so thin.

Last edited:
Weekend OT.

Neighbor lady came down to ask me about my Tesla and how I like it a few weeks ago.
Yesterday she stopped by to let me know she is heading out for a test drive.

Because she and I live in a state that does not allow direct sales she has to drive to a different state for the test drive.
I am confident she will be buying a MY after the test drive.

Think about that for a second...she has to drive to another state to test drive a car.
The sooner the power of the dealer network dies the better.

Now think of the power that we all have as “influencers” ....do all you can to spread the good news that is Tesla.

Hasten the demise of those bastages.

Hasten the demise of those fargin sneaky bastages.

FTFY​

1618664452725.jpeg

I second this motion. Have been using it for a long time. It works and has saved me money.

As an added bonus; check with your brokerage, if it is one of the major Canadian bank brokerages, you may not even pay a trade fee on one side of the trade (likely the Canadian side of the trade), if you buy near market close on one day and sell anytime the following day.

This is because one side ( or both of you’re lucky !) of DLR may be considered a “commission free” fund by the bank, if it is not a “day trade”. In my experience; one of my brokerage’s rules to maintain this as a “commission free” trade / not be considered a “day trade”; which they define as not buying and selling it in the same day; is to hold it overnight on purchase after buying the Canadian side; in order to maintain the commission free status.

I know this is OT, but I'm sure many of us will be traveling in the future, and some of us quite a bit. Does anyone know of any other foreign currency pairs that this is possible with?

EDIT: Looks like someone had the same idea on reddit, but the responses on reddit make it seem like there aren't really any other currency pairs:

Last edited:

Cheers!
Believe it or not, I did not know that.
you just saved me 2% on any future trade I do for the rest of my life converting cad to usd and then gradually my TSLA to cad when I retire.
I think that’s the 2nd most cost efficient trick I have received here, right after the Buy TSLA advice.

thanks, I’ll owe you couple Teslaquilla bottles down the road.

While we’re at it, do you know any way to pay lower fees than the terrible 4.25%-0.50% (3.75%) interest rate charged by National Bank of my margin? I still have some to pay back and I don’t know if it’s worth trying opening an interactive brokers account with a 1.25% interest rate on US margin. I don’t know if it is even possible for Canadians to open an account in the US. 2.5% could be the 3rd best saving tip down the road ;)

2C66A4D1-5A55-4833-8858-B0AE6255B83B.jpeg

79CD8C8C-332D-4D20-A53A-3C8D815DE8C2.jpeg

Last edited:
you just saved me 2% on any future trade I do for the rest of my life converting cad to usd and then gradually my TSLA to cad when I retire.
I think that’s the 2nd most cost efficient trick I have received here, right after the Buy TSLA advice.

While we’re at it, do you know any way to pay lower fees than the terrible 4.25%-0.50% (3.75%) interest rate charged by National Bank of my margin? I still have some to pay back and I don’t know if it’s worth trying opening an interactive brokers account with a 1.25% interest rate on US margin. I don’t know if it is even possible for Canadians to open an account in the US. 2.5% could be the 3rd best saving tip down the road ;)

View attachment 654510
View attachment 654511
If you switch to private banking, you will get much better forex rates. You need a certain net worth to qualify for private banking, but it isn’t that high and you probably qualify. That is easier than doing the Norbert gambit.

For margin rates, I would ask your brokerage directly if they will lower your rates. I did that a couple years ago and was changed to prime. If they won’t, threaten to move and they will probably make the change for you. I’m with Scotia iTrade.

You may also want to have a look at xe.com.
Very competitive when you have to exchange currencies or transfer money internationally.
I guarantee you will never want to use banks anymore.

While we’re at it, do you know any way to pay lower fees than the terrible 4.25% interest rate charged by National Bank of my margin? I still have some to pay back and I do t know if it’s worth trying opening an interactive broker account with a 0.75% rate on US margin. I don’t know if it is even possible for Canadians to open an account in the US. This could be the 3rd best saving tip down the road ;)
How would the process work exactly for TSLA in a $CAD account, say for a LIRA with annual withdrawal obligations?

Can you "journal" TSLA from a $CAD to $US brokerage account without exchange fees ?
If you can convert TSLA between $CAD & $US back and forth without fees, that would provide an opportunity to speculate on exchange rate changes in the future.

Reactions: FireMedic
If you switch to private banking, you will get much better forex rates. You need a certain net worth to qualify for private banking, but it isn’t that high and you probably qualify. That is easier than doing the Norbert gambit.

For margin rates, I would ask your brokerage directly if they will lower your rates. I did that a couple years ago and was changed to prime. If they won’t, threaten to move and they will probably make the change for you. I’m with Scotia iTrade.
I was paying 4.25% when I called them last November they upgraded me to the “Advantage” customer rate which is 3.75%
Still, it is not really competitive to what is offered in the US.
I have my commercial real estate mortgage with them, my old financial advisor value Investing account there, my personal and company brokerage account, all adding up to well over their minimal treshold to get their best rate I hoped they could do better than 3.75% without threatening to move out but that is surely the next step.

How would the process work exactly for TSLA in a $CAD account, say for a LIRA with annual withdrawal obligations?

Can you "journal" TSLA from a $CAD to $US brokerage account without exchange fees ?
If you can convert TSLA between $CAD & $US back and forth without fees, that would provide an opportunity to speculate on exchange rate changes in the future.
All my TSLA was bought through my USD margin account. about 10% still on margin.
I guess the most efficient way to sell it would be to sell it in the US Margin account, then use the Norbert gambit to buy DLR.U and get it transferred to the CAD margin account and then sell it under the CAD account to avoid the 2% forEx fee.

seems better to me than transferring TSLA directly from US margin account to CAD margin account and sell it there gradually.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Weekend OT.

Neighbor lady came down to ask me about my Tesla and how I like it a few weeks ago.
Yesterday she stopped by to let me know she is heading out for a test drive.

Because she and I live in a state that does not allow direct sales she has to drive to a different state for the test drive.
I am confident she will be buying a MY after the test drive.

Think about that for a second...she has to drive to another state to test drive a car.
The sooner the power of the dealer network dies the better.

Now think of the power that we all have as “influencers” ....do all you can to spread the good news that is Tesla.

Hasten the demise of those bastages.

The strongest persuasion, is grounded in the beliefs of an idea’s adversaries. The states that prohibit direct sales of Tesla vehicles, are almost always Republican bastions of conservatism. The American conservative movement counts as one of its foundational tenets, free market economies.

“There are no limits to what free men, free women, and free markets can accomplish.” –Jack Kemp. ...

“We who live in free market societies believe that growth, prosperity, and ultimately human fulfillment are created from the bottom up, not the government down.” –Ronald Reagan.

“Free men and free women living in free market societies ought to be endowed with a freedom to choose; a freedom to create their own fulfillment.” –JB Leonard

Guys, I need help.
A guy I work and train with is getting stressed out by ARK daily trading reports and thinks TSLA is not worth much because ARK sold some TSLA 2 days ago at peak and bought Coinbase yesterday.
He is watching stocks price everyday and think he should sell his ARKK because Tesla is overvalued and that it won’t go up for 1 year. He is listening to the day trading whatsapp group of his friend who knows a trader and says the Chinese EVs will take over and he should take profit because TSLA will crash because of the Chinese EVs.

I see these 2 guys being absorbed by FUD and they believe it like religion and they seem to start being unreasonable. His whatsapp day trading friend is now anti-vaxxer because he says the companies just make money out of it and he thinks it’s like the flu vaccine, the only time he got the flu is the only year he took the vaccine.

I feel like it is a hopeless battle, people are getting more and more unreasonable.

Please excuse me, but I'm going to use your post to answer a long standing issue that TSLA bulls face. When asked by well-intentioned friends and family about the risk of investing in TSLA or buying Tesla products, I've long struggled with an answer that won't lose their focus after just 10 seconds, let alone 10 minutes! That's why they follow the news, because it's presented in small digestible sound-bites!

There's really no short answer more appropriate than, "you've been deceived".

30-second expansion of the initial 2 second answer.
- they've been deceived by the reporter regurgitating bad info from another report.
- they've been deceived by the originating author citing reports that were flawed by design.
- they've been deceived by the reports omitting contradictory facts to spin a narrative.

And then for answers that need to dig deeper into the details (and need more time), there was a blurb someone posted in the past that was ready made to address most of the issues out there against EV's in general, and Tesla in particular. Anyone happen to have a link to that post?