Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Belgium’s finance minister now has a concrete proposal about the details of how the electrification of the company car fleet will work: Bedrijfswagen blijft aanlokkelijk, als hij maar elektrisch is
Rather impressive IMO:
- new company cars can only be tax deducted if they are EV’s starting from 2026
- persons driving their own car to work can only get the related tax deduction if it is an EV starting from 2026
-company ICE cars bought from 2023 onwards will be progressively less deductable, ending at 0% in 2028
- ICE company vans/light duty vehicles and motorcycles will only be deductible for 50% from 2026 (preventing companies to switch to such vehicles to circumvent the EV company car rules (this IS Belgium after all))
- subsidies of 45% for home chargers (only if fed with green electricity and smart charging enabled so that the cars charge when there is the most electricity surplus)
- faster depreciation of company car chargers, but only if accessible (for a fee) to the public

Not mentioned in the article, but we also recently had new rules requiring home/office construction and renovation to take into account the need for EV car charging by at least providing waiting tubes for EV chargers to car parking space.

This looks like the right thing to do, at the fastest reasonable pace possible. Not something I’m used to from the Belgian government.

Little nice news:
To follow up, I remember that @LiveLong&Profit made a terrific post about GigaNevada few days ago (here in the Posts of Particular Merit thread): does this change your view? Is it still a good investment for Tesla to put a lot of PVs on the roof if they think they will close the factory in 5 years?
People in the comments of the Teslarati posts mention that the Reno area is seeing a lot of growth recently from people fleeing from California. Maybe Giga2 will live, after all.

Man that's lame posting a image of the Model 3 body structure and calling it the S and the X. Is that why you didn't link to Quora as your source? This is not helpful.
Sorry about the link, but that's what showed up with a Google search. In any case, according to Tesla (Emergency Response Guide) the model S does contain ultra high-strength steel in key areas.

Sorry about the link, but that's what showed up with a Google search. In any case, according to Tesla (Emergency Response Guide) the model S does contain ultra high-strength steel in key areas.
All cars for sale in the U.S. are required by law to have steel side door impact beams. Tesla Models S have these, plus a steel rollover cage: (per pg. 19 of their Emergency Response Guide)

REINFORCEMENTS AND ULTRA HIGH STRENGTH STEEL
Model S is reinforced to protect occupants in a collision. Suitable tools must be used to cut or crush these areas. Reinforcements are shown in teal below.​

2016 Model S REINFORCEMENTS AND ULTRA HIGH STRENGTH STEEL.png

Neither of which prevent the Fire Department from using the jaws of life to extract occupants, you just don't try to cut the high strength parts (which is what the Texas Fire Chief was misinformed about on Model S - it's NOT all high-strength steel).

Take the steel out of a Model S body and you have a Model S. Take the steel out of a Model 3 and you're left with 4 fenders and some underbody parts. Since this has now drifted well off-topic (and is well documented), I depart this discussion.

Cheers!

When I started investing in $tsla 4 years ago it was this Forum and people on Youtube that educated me. Personally, with all the information I have gathered I am confident that Tesla will become the biggest company in the coming years. I have been invested 100% in tesla and in nothing else.
I have never had any interest in crypto but due to the fact Tesla decided to put a bit of their cash into BTC, I decided to start looking into crypto.
The very first video I saw was from our old contributor Dave Lee where he is interviewing Charles Hoskinson.

So instead of going with BTC I decided to go with Cardano and the cool thing about Cardano is that the information to educate yourself is like Tesla broadly available. So after two months, I am now 93% $tsla and 7% ADA.

Charles Hoskinson is the first person that is loudly questioning the pump of Doge by Elon and how this could harm the crypto industry as a whole.

I wanted to share this with you because I have the feeling that the community of Cardano fits very well together with the community of Tesla. Open, educational, and supportive.

View attachment 655332
Erm .. has ANYTHING happened? Did any news break? European excanges are already open for ~4 hours.. this is just in the last hour. Getting us even below the close yesterday - although we were up +2% AH yesterday after elons tweet...

I just tried to find any news. Noting.
Seems to me there's a concerted effort to keep the stock down as log as possible this week. I daresay a load of shorties jumped-in yesterday, but overall I don't think they have that much influence. No, my bet is that the MM's expect a FOMO rally ahead of earnings, but need to avoid going above $800, ergo squeeze it down as long as they can now

Otherwise I see no incentive for the obvious suppression and manipulation we saw to keep it below $715 yesterday, huge put-wall at $700, huge call-wall at $800, small call-wall at $750

Last edited:
Sure you have (don't be dramatic). The first Elon interview with Joe Rogan cost 20% of Mkt Cap (back when Tesla needed capital). The "tweet" (who's memorial day is today) cost 20%. Even the 60 Minutes interview and the New York Times article were only 10%'ers.

Today was a mere 7% at its trough, and less than 3% by A/hrs when Elon's allowed to tweet WITHOUT affecting the SP (expletive deleted). We saw more than 7% last Monday on NOTHING.
This has been by far the worst distortion of reality. The previous ones were just overblown coverage of legitimated stupid/bad events, these are outright fabrication that someone needed to approve without verification.

And we all know it's hard for firefighters to cut into a Model S. That's not dramatics, it's a technological badge of honor.

SP is getting beat up, no need to pop off on people. I suggest you relax with the dramatics and BUY. Not advice?

Statement from the chief fire fighter, setting the record straight.

We are overly obsessed with one crash, perhaps understandably. Many of us are ignoring @AudubonB, specifically his warning to stop.
Part of the obsession is about vocabulary. The press rarely seems to make any useful contribution. Here is an exception:
Many of us, including @Papafox and me, have railed about the truthful capabilities of typical aircraft autopilots vs popular non-pilot typical perceptions. We have long seen regulators in various places, including both the US and Germany, investigate these issues.

Partly because of reflection on Mr. Radcliffe's comments I am nearing the view that terms such as Autopilot and Full Self Driving should be changed. Popular misconceptions fuel idiots doing sometimes fatal 'demonstrations' fed by inebriation and lethal over-confidence.

These very rare but spectacular human failings are now affecting the investment quality.
Thus I suggest changing the names to something less easily misconstrued by over-confident idiots.
That could be done together with a reaffirmation of the factual safety of the systems and a carefully-worded statement that the renaming is being done to reduce the propensity of those idiots to kill themslves and other people.

The influential Emby-Riddle graduate, Robert Shumwalt, actually knows the difference but both the NTSB budget and his own reputation depend on finding fault. He probably is well aware of the safety of Tesla systems, but is equally adamant that vocabulary is misleading to typical drivers. I have attached him and spoken with him regarding, for example, lithium-ion batteries in transportation (~2013 IIRC). He is very confident of NTSB abilities and is acutely aware and opinionated about the role of training, experience and human error in accidents. That regularly makes him prone to advocate better use of automation, training and vocabulary to reduce accidents, plus reducing severity when an accident happens.

What I think of as the Shumwalt approach often appears to be a bit Luddite and anti-progress. I do not think that that is true. I do think Tesla needs to change nomenclature to stop fault-finding by common people from operators to journalists and regulators.

Words matter.

After some years of this idiocy it's probably time to change the names while proceeding full speed ahead.

I never expected to say these words. Then, at long last, I reviewed some training notes I had from when I taught aircraft systems to aspiring ATP candidates using 1980's vintage 'glass cockpits. Many of them were flummoxed with understanding one, two and three axis autopilots, and even had problems understanding pitot tubes and their limitations. Such lack of awareness has killed many people in aircraft accidents. Aircraft systems regularly change to reduce the effects of human error with aircraft manufacturers held to account for poor explanations and hazardous malfunctions.

We are now at the point that road vehicles need similar approaches. Name changes and initial training will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most folks here understand we're human beings inside a giant nest of human beings. Evolution is happening and at a telescoping rate, you just gotta trust the process!

Big money don't care about FUD, they care about FOOOMOOOOOO! I'm seeing an $800 close Friday and disappointed I've let the media warp my brain into settling for that.

This has been by far the worst distortion of reality. The previous ones were just overblown coverage of legitimated stupid/bad events, these are outright fabrication that someone needed to approve without verification.
You have a very short memory. The 'tweet' was jumped on far worse and for over a year when you include the subsequent (groundless) SEC lawsuit against Elon's comment on an afterhrs ARK Invest podcast.

You may wish to study Recency bias. It affects decision making by distorting events.

And we all know it's hard for firefighters to cut into a Model S. That's not dramatics, it's a technological badge of honor.
Say what? We all know this how? I have never heard any report of Firefighters having problems using the jaws of life on a Model S. Show us the evidence, don't just make unsupported claims.

SP is getting beat up, no need to pop off on people. I suggest yourelax with the dramatics and BUY. Not advice?

Yeah, I have no need to buy moar. I'm already 100% invested in TSLA, and will remain so for a Ron Baron epoch. My next investment will likely be Starlink.

I'm not gaming Friday's options expiries, or Jan '22 contracts, nor any other leveraged, mortgaged, voodoo-freakanomics trading scheme. Buy'n'hold FTW is the investor superpower (for folks who don't want to dance between the raindrops to the MM's tune).

What matters in the long run is the Mission; not the money. Without a livable earth, money don't matter.

We are overly obsessed with one crash, perhaps understandably. Many of us are ignoring @AudubonB, specifically his warning to stop.
Part of the obsession is about vocabulary. The press rarely seems to make any useful contribution. Here is an exception:
Many of us, including @Papafox and me, have railed about the truthful capabilities of typical aircraft autopilots vs popular non-pilot typical perceptions. We have long seen regulators in various places, including both the US and Germany, investigate these issues.

Partly because of reflection on Mr. Radcliffe's comments I am nearing the view that terms such as Autopilot and Full Self Driving should be changed. Popular misconceptions fuel idiots doing sometimes fatal 'demonstrations' fed by inebriation and lethal over-confidence.

These very rare but spectacular human failings are now affecting the investment quality.
Thus I suggest changing the names to something less easily misconstrued by over-confident idiots.
That could be done together with a reaffirmation of the factual safety of the systems and a carefully-worded statement that the renaming is being done to reduce the propensity of those idiots to kill themslves and other people.

The influential Emby-Riddle graduate, Robert Shumwalt, actually knows the difference but both the NTSB budget and his own reputation depend on finding fault. He probably is well aware of the safety of Tesla systems, but is equally adamant that vocabulary is misleading to typical drivers. I have attached him and spoken with him regarding, for example, lithium-ion batteries in transportation (~2013 IIRC). He is very confident of NTSB abilities and is acutely aware and opinionated about the role of training, experience and human error in accidents. That regularly makes him prone to advocate better use of automation, training and vocabulary to reduce accidents, plus reducing severity when an accident happens.

What I think of as the Shumwalt approach often appears to be a bit Luddite and anti-progress. I do not think that that is true. I do think Tesla needs to change nomenclature to stop fault-finding by common people from operators to journalists and regulators.

Words matter.

After some years of this idiocy it's probably time to change the names while proceeding full speed ahead.

I never expected to say these words. Then, at long last, I reviewed some training notes I had from when I taught aircraft systems to aspiring ATP candidates using 1980's vintage 'glass cockpits. Many of them were flummoxed with understanding one, two and three axis autopilots, and even had problems understanding pitot tubes and their limitations. Such lack of awareness has killed many people in aircraft accidents. Aircraft systems regularly change to reduce the effects of human error with aircraft manufacturers held to account for poor explanations and hazardous malfunctions.

We are now at the point that road vehicles need similar approaches. Name changes and initial training will help.
Quick disagree before market opens.
I trained pilots in the actual aircraft in high density areas like NY and Atlanta.

If a pilot willfully disregarded operation of the Flight Management Systems...they would soon be fired.

Pilots were highly motivated and trained.

Any fool can buy a car and operate it as they will.