Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I h
Because this is the Investor Sector, and the “personal” Elon Musk thread is in another location, I’m posting this here rather than elsewhere, even if it only tangentially redounds to Tesla and TSLA.

I cannot endorse Mr Musk joining the Board of Directors of Endeavor (William Morris Agency, UFC and others). I have a number of reasons, but the most pertinent and, to me, utterly damning one with no possibility of redemption, is that through its upcoming IPO there are to be not one (the only appropriate number), or even two, but SIX ! classes of shares. That is financial plutocracy disguised as capitalism, which it most absolutely is not.

I am appalled and most disappointed in Mr Musk’s decision.
l hope you are serious. This move IMO is a disappointment in that this is so close to several areas that would be better to avoid.

So, the Tesla EV share question is really a question of EV market growth. In most cases there is a time when demand exceeds supply and all manufacturers make money. If Tesla clips this (or sets a level like OPEC/Saudi defines price by turning a tap) by aiming all Giga factories at demand...

Market share of the "EV market" is a misleading metric because the EV market isn't a closed system. If you want to talk market share, you have to include all cars. Because people can choose a gas car or they can choose an electric car. The number of vehicles that are battery-electric is exploding and, considering they currently only comprise 2% of all vehicles, they can continue to explode. It's unlikely that Tesla will maintain their current ~80% of BEV sales in N. America as unit sales reach into the tens of millions. Talking about the market share of the rapidly expanding "EV market" is about as meaningful as only being concerned with a companies market share of white cars. Electric cars compete primarily with gas cars - that will gradually change as EV's gain market share and EV production volumes rise to the point where the consumer has a number of readily available EV options but, at this early stage of adoption, the most relevant numbers describe the growth of sales and manufacturing, not market share increases/decreases.

And this explains why that article is pure and simple FUD.

This is obviously going to 800+, big whale wants it up not down.
Pure as day being manipulated to not follow the drop of macros. For the last 3 months Tesla has followed almost every drop with a big multiple...... today it’s just hanging there. Elon tweeting a partial confirmation should not be enough to keep it up on its own. My entire stock list, 95% of the tickers are red

I'm not sure it is going up this week to 800+, but things are setting up for a run soon. Lately there has been a large run upto earnings, with a sell the news event. The last time I recall there not being a big runup after deliveries into earnings was Oct 2019. There was some run up but only a few percent, then Tesla surprised with a huge earnings beat and profitability. Which sent the stock soaring over the next couple months. I think this will to happen if (when?) Tesla announces >1.00 EPS on Monday. A 20++% beat will have 2021 and 2022 EPS adjustments going way higher and algos will be flooding in as they are adjusted with higher price targets. I still think the ~60% pop with a return down to ~40% (from the mid 600s) is a matter of when in the next few months... not if.

This begs the question: What does Elon consider a "little" rig? 🤯
I imagine the new Dojo supercomputer needs to be "tested" for performance and cooling effectiveness etc.

Would truly be an "entertaining outcome". Imagine 5 teens and a toddler owning one of the world's largest companies as a result of a fun weekend project with their father. (only half joking now)

If we are discussing words, then let us object to the mongrel or bastard word "automobile". "Auto" comes from Greek and "mobile" from Latin, and such a word is offensive to some. For linguistic purity we should call them autokiniles or suimobiles.
You've done it! You brought up one of the most ancient word origins. more of less 'mew' was Proto-indo-European speaking of the movement (growth) of plants. Variants appear in one form or other in Greek, all Romance languages and other Indo-European languages from Gujarati to modern French and English.
since derivatives include the French 'meuble' for furniture as well as -'mobile' in one variant or another in nearly all of those. Sorry, it's in Greek and Latin.

Thanks to Professor Margaret Dodd, with whom I spent excruciating semesters studying linguistics and etymology. She helped dissuade me from becoming a linguist, although she left em with an insatiable curiosity. OTOH, she did wonders to enhance my vocabulary.

As for Tesla we should recognize that nearly all Tesla descriptions seem to begin from a simple traditional US-urban linguistic base. I'm reliably informed that several Tesla translation issues suffer from being translations rather than being concepts written individually in relevant languages. Even in their websites oddities abound.

As Tesla continues to internationalize and, now, globalize, these issues will grow to be more serious.
Share price growth as well as overall success will suffer unless these issues begin to be seriously addressed. Autopilot and FSD only scratch the surface.

Market share of the "EV market" is a misleading metric because the EV market isn't a closed system. If you want to talk market share, you have to include all cars. Because people can choose a gas car or they can choose an electric car. The number of vehicles that are battery-electric is exploding and, considering they currently only comprise 2% of all vehicles, they can continue to explode. It's unlikely that Tesla will maintain their current ~80% of BEV sales in N. America as unit sales reach into the tens of millions. Talking about the market share of the rapidly expanding "EV market" is about as meaningful as only being concerned with a companies market share of white cars. Electric cars compete primarily with gas cars - that will gradually change as EV's gain market share and EV production volumes rise to the point where the consumer has a number of readily available EV options but, at this early stage of adoption, the most relevant numbers describe the growth of sales and manufacturing, not market share increases/decreases.

And this explains why that article is pure and simple FUD.

Garrett Nelson​

CFRA
Wall Street Analyst

Ranked #6,551 out of 7,459 Analysts on TipRanks (#13,420 out of 15,464 overall experts)

Average Return -5.2%

Reactions: ThisStockGood
I h

l hope you are serious. This move IMO is a disappointment in that this is so close to several areas that would be better to avoid.
Here is how serious I am: I am contemplating joining Twitter just so I can present it personally to Mr Musk. I never have been so sorely tempted. But I need not go that path of those "several areas" as that direction leads to trouble.

I'm afraid the FUD has entered your consciousness and rearranged the molecules inside your brain. You are now infected and you require a vaccine. Please locate the nearest Neuralink Research Laboratory and apply for patch #NB420FUDFX.

I'm never against education and public outreach but name-changing is stooping down to the level of the FUD and admitting defeat.

What's in a name? It's whatever you want it to be. You could call Autopilot "lame-ass driver aid that fails every 10 minutes" and people would still attempt deadly and idiotic stunts with it. No, never back down from a winning position and admit defeat. That would confuse people even more.

"Autopilot" is Tesla's tradename for their driver assistance suite of technologies and it's entirely appropriate and 100 times more sophisticated than the best marine autopilots I've used. This is the proper comparison as many more motorists have some exposure to marine autopilots vs. aeronautical autopilots. The name is appropriate - you have been brainwashed by the FUD. As the system continues to improve and become the defacto industry standard by which all other automotive autopilots are measured, it will prove to have been a serious mistake to bow to the very interests that seek to harm Tesla and the movement to sustainable energy. It's no secret that Houston, where the latest crash FUD comes from, is an oil area.
as OP said words matter ... and the name "AutoPilot" implies way too much at this point in time ...been using AP for 4 years and it still does a lot of scary stuff IMHO... it has improved considerably ....my wife who is a decent driver and generally an early adopter to technology refuses to use AP because it still requires close supervision and does weird stuff that scares her out of using it ...

AI/FSD is huge for the future of Tesla/TSLA .... i would prefer they slow roll it ...users will understand the functionality and they wont care what it is called once it works ... so if you under-promise on the name of the feature the FUD headlines will be that much harder ... Tesla finally learned to under promise on the vehicle deliveries ... they probably need to do same with AP/FSD...

I think AI/FSD FUD after driver deaths with FSD enabled(which will happen eventually) is one of the biggest risks TSLA faces before it breaks out again for its run at $2T market cap... real deaths and associated FUD could potentially stall/setback FSD rollout for many years ... people are weird that way in interpreting risk... think covid vaccine/nuclear power/plane crashes.... just saying

as OP said words matter ... and the name "AutoPilot" implies way too much at this point in time ...been using AP for 4 years and it still does a lot
There aren't many people around who have a lower opinion of the average person's intelligence than I do. Given that, I still think this is pearl clutching. Nobody bypasses the seatbelt sensors because they were too dumb to understand that autopilot doesn't drive itself. It takes a bit of intelligence to get around the safety features.

Anybody from Germany want to comment on a poll showing that the greens are leading ? What will it mean in terms of environmental policy and specifically Tesla ?
OK, so it's just a poll - but it seems to be to be a very clear signal that _many_ voters are tired of a government that gives low priority to the environment.

Apart from electric cars this could relate to phasing out coal and especially (open pit) lignite power, better conditions for bicycles, some kind of limits on how SUVs dominate the city centers. Many Greens dislike cars of any kind, so it is not given that a Green government would (further) improve conditions for electric cars.